Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] 4K Curved TVs

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So the missus dragged me in to John Lewis is Horsham this morning and whilst she busied herself in the household area I naturally navigated my way to the TVs. My word those 4K Curved TVs look incredible with films like the Life of Pi.

So I got me wondering if the £1.8k price tag was worth the investment. Anyone already take the plunge? Thoughts?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I would stick with a normal flat 4k tv. When the screen is off you get awful reflection. Obviously great picture quality. But I read from reviews that the viewing angle can be poor

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I've just got a 49 inch 4K LG, not curved though as couldn't afford one and would have meant changing the brackets on the wall, this was a straight swap in that respect. 4K content streamed from Netflix looks fantastic, and the upscaled HD picture from our Sky box is great too, SD stuff that is upscaled looks a bit ropey though. Unless you need a new TV, we did as our old broke, I'd hold off as there isn't a massive amount of 4K content yet. The realise of 4K blu-ray by Xmas should see a real battle in price. Although you'll more than likely find your old blu-ray player won't be compatible so you'll need to replace that and it might be something you can haggle with the shop over.

Also worth remembering Black Friday is 27th November which will see a few bargains about.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Check old episodes of the gadget show, I think their conclusion was once the novelty has worn off the flat 4k was the best for the money, however do you have access to 4k media to take advantage of it such as bt sport ultrahd? Otherwise if your not planning to upgrade anway maybe wait till prices come down further and you have 4k players etc.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
TV technology advances so quickly and prices drop accordingly. As others have said, unless you need to replace then I'd wait as whichever TV you decide on will be way cheaper soon.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
All these "advances" in tv technology are a load of rubbish designed to part you from your cash. Once you have a flat screen 1080p tv I really don't think it's worth buying anything else. Go for a nice holiday somewhere.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I only bought an HD TV last year and that was from Richer Sounds so £800 instead of the original £2k price.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Anyone know if you can play pc games at high resolutions on 4k tvs? Might tempt me out of buying a next gen console to go with my pc.

dik

Oct 11, 2003
Oxford
Ok, the best thing you can do is spend the money on a good 1080p projector. The quality is simply incredible and even the cheaper ones beat an HDTV hands down

jon12345

Jul 22, 2014
I do laugh at the tech geeks lol
Christ a TV is a TV and there isn't really a big difference between any tv.

I used to have a curved TV back in the day. I was told by the experts that flat screen was the future so bought one of them.

Now these experts are all telling me flat screen is no good and it needs to curved.

I'll stick with the flat screen cheers.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
3D - soon lost gimmick

HD - Winner winner, here to stay

4K - not so sure, not too much difference to HD to the average eye I would suggest.

VHS - too much lag and hard to find the right spot

DVD - too much storage space

Apple - provide the answer to everything

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Curved TV's are just a pointless gimmick.

I'm inclined to agree. Just like 3D TV, which has now completely died on its arse.

I had a look at a curved screen in Hills the other week. Great if you're sat BANG opposite it, but not so good if you're viewing it from an angle. The flat screen 1080p LED's give fantastic definition now, you could not want for more. A curve in the screen enhances nothing whatsoever. Its just for someone to say "oooh look, I've got the dosh to splash out on a curve", whilst desperately trying to convince themselves that it makes the experience of watching telly somehow better.

A total crock.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm inclined to agree. Just like 3D TV, which has now completely died on its arse.

I had a look at a curved screen in Hills the other week. Great if you're sat BANG opposite it, but not so good if you're viewing it from an angle. The flat screen 1080p LED's give fantastic definition now, you could not want for more. A curve in the screen enhances nothing whatsoever. Its just for someone to say "oooh look, I've got the dosh to splash out on a curve", whilst desperately trying to convince themselves that it makes the experience of watching telly somehow better.

A total crock.

Yep, it’s the emperor's new clothes scenario, and as you say 3D TV’s have died a death.

I’ve got an 8 year old 42 in plasma that still does a decent job, but when I do upgrade it will only be for a 42 1080p LED.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here