Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky Forster on JFC & Gus

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Great interview from Nicky Forster on The Argus website. It's a shame he hasn't got a picture up somewhere at The Amex, or perhaps he does if anyone's spotted one? Definitely a Withdean Legend.

Jake Forster-Caskey is going through an awkward stage in his career, playing more for his country than his club.

The best Albion's England under-21 international midfielder can hope for tomorrow at the Amex against MK Dons, where he has just spent a month on loan, is a place on the bench.

Championship action for Albion for Forster-Caskey so far this season has been limited to a few minutes at the end at Fulham back in August.

For most players of his age - he was 21 in April - this would not matter too much. They would be grateful to be on the fringes amid a diet of development squad football.

Read more here: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...too_many_young_players_are_in_a_comfort_zone/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The biggest privilege in all my career was being the captain of Brighton.

"I love every single one of the clubs I played for but Brighton have the most special place in my heart. Reading and Brentford fans might be a bit saddened to hear that but there is something about Brighton. I just loved every minute of being there.

That is great to hear. He was a very good player for us.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Good read. I was particularly interested in "Gus was a phenomenally powerful figure at that time. He ran everything." stated without rancour and goes right to the heart of why the love affair between Gus & Us ended.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of the best strikers we ever signed, he was a fantastic servant to the club. If we had a 32 y/o Nicky Forster in the team right now, then our goalscoring issues would vanish immediately.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For most players of his age - he was 21 in April - this would not matter too much. They would be grateful to be on the fringes amid a diet of development squad football.

I'm not sure I buy this. If a player is to make it I'd expect them to be more than on the fringes at 21. I'd expect then to be well on their way and nearing their peak in a few years time.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Just as you knew that nothing was more important to Gus Poyet than Gus Poyet, I always felt the same about Nicky Forster and, to an extent, JFC. He wants to play even if it's not the best thing for the team. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it's the opposite kind of vibe that you get from say Calde.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just as you knew that nothing was more important to Gus Poyet than Gus Poyet, I always felt the same about Nicky Forster and, to an extent, JFC. He wants to play even if it's not the best thing for the team. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it's the opposite kind of vibe that you get from say Calde.

The difference I would think is that Calde knows his best days are behind him and he is no longer good enough whereas JFC has a future to consider.

SBarlow

Sep 7, 2015
The difference I would think is that Calde knows his best days are behind him and he is no longer good enough whereas JFC has a future to consider.

Very much this. The club is in a difficult place where it is balancing playing the most effective centre mid partnership (Stephens and Kayal) with nurturing talented youngsters (Ince and Jfc).

Ince is younger and less experienced so maybe more willing to accept substitute appearances and th e odd start.

JFC for his own development could do a lot worse than. Move to a club like MK Dons and play week in week out under a decent coach. I hope he doesn't as we will need him sooner or later at Brighton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One of the best strikers we ever signed, he was a fantastic servant to the club. If we had a 32 y/o Nicky Forster in the team right now, then our goalscoring issues would vanish immediately.

A little over the top l think, Don't misunderstand me, l loved Nicky Forster, and agree that he was a great servant to the club over several seasons.

But one of the best strikers we ever signed?, no l don't think so. He was past his best when he signed for us, and don't forget we were playing lower division football in those days too.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I'm not sure I buy this. If a player is to make it I'd expect them to be more than on the fringes at 21. I'd expect then to be well on their way and nearing their peak in a few years time.

I think you are right to be a success for your current club. However for the majority of players in development squads they don't make it and have to leave and drop down the league. Jake has already made it with us at a young age. Yet now he is struggling to get in. Not surprising considering the performance and talent of kayal and Stephens. Yet at his age he could still be considered youngster.

It saddens me but for his sake it might be his last chance (up to Jan) to make it at the Albion. He is a real prospect and if he goes I hope we get compensated very well. Respect to Jake he is still growing!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I am not saying how good NF was but whenever he got the ball one on one I was pretty sure he would score and he normally did, future manager chat?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very surprised that he hasn't been invited to the Amex by the club. You would have thought that with his connection to Jake and the fact that he was pretty useful for us would make it a no brainer.

I liked him as a player, abrasive, skilful and committed. Knew where the net was too. Scored a winning hand ball goal for Reading against us though I seem to remember

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nicky Forster is exactly the striker we're lacking right now, he made a terrible start to his career here but when he got his first (after coming on as a sub against Southend, before getting a second?) he was off and running and he was deadly. The last minute winner on the opening day away at Crewe sticks out, as soon as he went through on goal, even on his left foot, a goal was inevitable.

Such a shame Baldock is nowhere near the same pedigree or class.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here