Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're All Wednesday (And Brighton) and (Hove Albion) Aren't We?

theowlsman

Jun 7, 2012
A piece from the heart about your beloved club, and a good read too. (I refer to the piece posted elsewhere about the stick you receieved from Reading and Wednesday fans) and "the plastics".

After our game with you on Tuesday, I just wanted to quash the myth that Wednesday fans don't rate you as a club.

I think you currently have a side to be proud of, playing decent, honest, football, and the fact you remain unbeaten in the league, is testament to the excellent work Chris Hughton is doing, and just reward for your playing performances.

I thought there were two evenly matched teams on the pitch on Tuesday, it was a tactical battle ultimately resulting in a stand-off, with both teams apparently content with the final result, that maintained unbeaten runs.

The inter-forum banter that went on prior to the game, was just that, and Brighton should not take it personally, as Wednesday fans enjoy this kind of banter on a regular basis, with fans of many clubs. We did notice that you took some of the comments more seriously than fans of other clubs though, which was a cue to agitate the pot further. Being on the "wind-up" qualifies as valid entertainment in our part of the world - when we're not walking the whippets or cleaning out the pigeon lofts.

In terms of our history, we have a bit, and like yourselves, over the last 15 years or so, it's not been great, we have endured a torrid time, almost going out of business a few years ago as the Tax Man took us to court over owed taxes. Sat reading twitter accounts of the court encounter, knowing we were days away from going out of existence, wasn't a pleasant experience.

We do have our principles however, and for us, administration has never been an option in times of trouble. I'm proud of my club in that respect, preferring to soldier on rather than finding an easy way out of trouble via administration, and by doing so, shafting local businesses, and damaging community ties.

We've had to endure a marked decline in our footballing fortunes, and after leaving the Premier League in dire straits financially, eventually dropping to League 1, we continued to get in more debt, arguably leading to us having to field some of the worst Wednesday teams I've ever had the misfortune of watching. Still, the loyal and fantastic fans of this wonderful club have continued to support the team in numbers, both home and away (we have a fantastic away following), and believe that things would eventually change.

Not sure what qualifies you as a sleeping giant nowadays, but over 38,000 fans v Wycombe Wanderers in a League 1 game, 49,000 back in 1979 for another third tier game - still a league record attendance for this level of football, and over 50,000 fans taken to a League 1 play off final at Cardiff, under Paul Sturrock, against Hartlepool United, could be considered as valid indicators.

Unfortunately, it's these games we've had to focus on recently, not the games we were reguarly winning against Man Utd, Chelsea, and Liverpool, etc as a founding member of the Premier League. Finishing 3rd in the Premier League, and competing in Europe, beating Man Utd in a League Cup Final, and appearing at Wembley four times in one season, getting beaten in both Cup Finals by Arsenal, are very distant memories now. As for Highbury, Jimmy Case and Steve Foster, even the nightmares have faded now

So now to present day, rather than the past. After being saved from going out of existence by Milan Madaric, whose main motive was apparently to tidy up the club, and sell us on for a profit, we now have a new owner with a few bob. We offloaded 11 players from last season, brought in about 15, a combination of purchases and loans, sacked Stuart Gray as manager, and brought in an unknown Portuguese coach who has completely turned the club around.

We took a good number of early season games to find a system that worked for us, and for the new squad to get to know each other, and play consistently well. Eventually, we started pick up points, and haven't really stopped since, we're still on an upwardly mobile trajectory.

The football we are now playing is the best I've seen since the days of Hirst, Waddle, Bright, Warhurst, Sheridan etc and we're looking like a quality side.

So, please forgive the over-exhuberent Wednesday fans, getting excited at the thought of our first half decent season for many, many, years, and our "giddiness" and desire to share our ever-existent (though sometimes misguided), sense of humour, that has been the only thing that has kept us going through the bad times.

So, good luck to you fellas, let's hope both Brighton, and Sheffield Wednesday, reach the Premier League this season.

In your case, I think adding to your offensive options in January may be adviseable, in addition to being more cavalier in approach at times, as simply avoiding defeat doesn't guarantee promotion. Draws can kill your aspirations. 4 draws = 4 points. 2 wins and 2 defeats = 6 points etc.

All the best Seagulls. Good luck.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Also glad to hear that the Brighton fan who needed CPR is on the road to recovery.

Good news!

Great post in the first place and this confirms your status as a true Gent.

Good on you.Hope you're right about promotion too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The inter-forum banter that went on prior to the game, was just that, and Brighton should not take it personally, as Wednesday fans enjoy this kind of banter on a regular basis, with fans of many clubs. We did notice that you took some of the comments more seriously than fans of other clubs though
Difficult to know if we did or not, people here like forum banter too.

Cheers

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wednesday fans seem to be crowing from the rooftops at the moment.

For me they are a decent side but not the finished article. I don't think they've beaten any top sides yet in the league.

I think they will be close to the play offs but they should enjoy this high point as I don't ultimately see them going up. See Birmingham FC

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In your case, I think adding to your offensive options in January may be adviseable, in addition to being more cavalier in approach at times, as simply avoiding defeat doesn't guarantee promotion. Draws can kill your aspirations. 4 draws = 4 points. 2 wins and 2 defeats = 6 points etc.

All the best Seagulls. Good luck.

We're aware of this, as we were actually doing it earlier this season, see Fulham, Ipswich (and far more recently) Leeds and Bristol City. With Reading, we did sit back after an hour, can't say what went on up your parts as I wasn't there and was only half-concentrating on the commentary. But with both games, I suspect it might be due to lack of options up-front (which you rightly identify). Without LuaLua we're limited, ditto to a lesser extent with Zamora. If we want to have a decent chance of top six, we need one perhaps two top quality options out wide or, better, up-front.

theowlsman

Jun 7, 2012
Wednesday fans seem to be crowing from the rooftops at the moment.

For me they are a decent side but not the finished article. I don't think they've beaten any top sides yet in the league.

I think they will be close to the play offs but they should enjoy this high point as I don't ultimately see them going up. See Birmingham FC

You may well be right. Time will tell.

theowlsman

Jun 7, 2012
We're aware of this, as we were actually doing it earlier this season, see Fulham, Ipswich (and far more recently) Leeds and Bristol City. With Reading, we did sit back after an hour, can't say what went on up your parts as I wasn't there and was only half-concentrating on the commentary. But with both games, I suspect it might be due to lack of options up-front (which you rightly identify). Without LuaLua we're limited, ditto to a lesser extent with Zamora. If we want to have a decent chance of top six, we need one perhaps two top quality options out wide or, better, up-front.

Hope you get the players you need to addvto your attacking options, it's the only slight weakness I can see.

Then again, at least Hughton is intelligent enough to concentrate on making you harder to beat until the likes of Lua Lua are available again to allow you to be more of an attacking force

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm glad that you've explained that it was only banter. Some of those comments hurt me, they really, really hurt me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't think it's the 'banter' as much as the goons that genuinely don't have a clue about our squad. In particular, the post I pointed out elsewhere that said something like "rely on their best 11, if they lose a full back and centre midfield...", it would be really nice if some of them actually knew their opposition.
And remember, we were playing away, so if, in general, we can pick up 1 point away, against those around us, and 3 points at home, I think we'd be the happier. Personally I have no problem with us setting up away from home to ensure we don't lose.

theowlsman

Jun 7, 2012
I'd be happy with both teams going up rather than one missing out in the play offs.

Seems from our recent histories, that enduring times of struggle, might deserve some payback sometime soon?

theowlsman

Jun 7, 2012
I don't think it's the 'banter' as much as the goons that genuinely don't have a clue about our squad. In particular, the post I pointed out elsewhere that said something like "rely on their best 11, if they lose a full back and centre midfield...", it would be really nice if some of them actually knew their opposition.
And remember, we were playing away, so if, in general, we can pick up 1 point away, against those around us, and 3 points at home, I think we'd be the happier. Personally I have no problem with us setting up away from home to ensure we don't lose.

Fair points well made.

But this does identify a difference in our respective approaches as our Portuguese Coach often takes gambles, and goes for the three points, away from home. Can give you breathing space can the odd win away for failure to win 3 points at home

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fair points well made.

But this does identify a difference in our respective approaches as our Portuguese Coach often takes gambles, and goes for the three points, away from home. Can give you breathing space can the odd win away for failure to win 3 points at home

It isn't that we haven't won away from home, Fulham, Ipswich, Leeds, three very good scalps, should have beaten Bolton having been 2 up and they equalised on 94, but 2 wins + 2 draws = 8pts, and I prefer that sum. I have, as I said, no problem with the mentality to set up not to lose away. And don't forget that we have just nicked 2 away points from those around us at their place, you and Reading, both on good runs. We'll leave the 'maverick' to the others.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here