Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the obsession with the John Lewis Xmas advert?!

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
They were talking about it with excitement on Radio 5 this morning - and now I'm in an office where 6 people are huddled round a Mac watching it. 'I'm getting goose bumps' was just one comment.

Get a grip, it's a TV ad!!!!! If this is something that people actually look forward to each Xmas, society is in a sorry state! (and I love Xmas, in case you thought I didn't)

EDIT: Someone just said 'I was crying so much'.....:facepalm:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's a load of ****ing garbage isn't it. Indicative of modern society in Britain; people are touched by a cliche marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ yet are completely oblivious to the real-life plights of people around the world. Sad.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They were talking about it with excitement on Radio 5 this morning - and now I'm in an office where 6 people are huddled round a Mac watching it. 'I'm getting goose bumps' was just one comment.

Get a grip, it's a TV ad!!!!! If this is something that people actually look forward to each Xmas, society is in a sorry state! (and I love Xmas, in case you thought I didn't)

Are these men or women you're talking about ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Are these men or women you're talking about ?
Moshe Jnr (male) and I got told off by Mrs G this morning for not being more interested in the John Lewis advert...!!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not seen it - but it can't be any worse than the Asda one.

Thumbs up to the power of n and a big "This".

Would love it if Lidl or Aldi did a parody of it for next year with Motorhead or someone equally non Waitrose! I will confess that I am a regular user of Waitrose (free coffee, what's not to like!) and Lidl as well.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Can someone settle an argument at work, we're divided, is the man in the moon the young girls dead grandfather? (work are overly excited about this advert, but then, I'm in an office that has about 30 people in the marketing department)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Quite like the JL ads. Bit early for Christmas stuff bit I like the little stories. Seems a bit mean giving him the means to watch everyone else enjoying Christmas while he's stuck on the moon.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can someone settle an argument at work, we're divided, is the man in the moon the young girls dead grandfather? (work are overly excited about this advert, but then, I'm in an office that has about 30 people in the marketing department)

I don't think there's anything to suggest that in the ad.

I guess its loose enough that you are allowed to invent your own narrative though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thumbs up to the power of n and a big "This".

Would love it if Lidl or Aldi did a parody of it for next year with Motorhead or someone equally non Waitrose! I will confess that I am a regular user of Waitrose (free coffee, what's not to like!) and Lidl as well.

Waitrose?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's a load of ****ing garbage isn't it. Indicative of modern society in Britain; people are touched by a cliche marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ yet are completely oblivious to the real-life plights of people around the world. Sad.

Or perhaps some are touched by a clichéd marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ and also completely aware and involved with the real-life plights of people around the world whilst others are untouched by a clichéd marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ and also completely oblivious to the real-life plights of people around the world?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

WARNING - WARNING - Spoiler alert!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Makes you feel all Christmassy inside.

cpe.jpg

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Not seen this years, but they are usually good adverts. But that's all they are, an advert. Nothing to get excited about. People going way over the top.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Or perhaps some are touched by a clichéd marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ and also completely aware and involved with the real-life plights of people around the world whilst others are untouched by a clichéd marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ and also completely oblivious to the real-life plights of people around the world?

Well yeah, maybe that was a bit of a poorly-worded generalisation.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here