Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opinion piece - now we take on the real plastics

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
http://www.northstandchat.com/conte...it-Derbies-Survived-Now-For-the-Real-Plastics

I've done my first thing for Proper Writings about history, internet spats and those hideous DINS

The only thing I would disagree with is "Brighton are hard to understand because we’ve had so much history, though at the beginning it was unremarkable"

Pretty much all clubs (with the exception of the Plastics you go on to rightly call out at the end) have "so much history". Most clubs in the FL are round or about 100 years old - I am admittedly round quite a lot, but measured in lifetimes, no club can really be accused of not having a history so long that no one could possibly remember it all. I'm sure back in the early days which you have dismissed as "unremarkable", those who were there thought it was anything but. New clubs started, some failed, some merged, some went on to be the historic names we know now. To dismiss that period is to say "nothing was going on" when the first fish decided to sprout legs and crawl up the beach... just because there was no one else around to witness and tell stories about it doesn't mean it wasn't a truly heart (or whatever basic organ they had then that meant they bled blue & white or red or sky blue or whatever) stopping, f*cking adventure!

Other than that moan. Thanks, good read and completely agree with the sentiment about tomorrow! Shame Southern Railway don't feel the same! I'm expected delayed kick-off, replacement bus nightmare and a number of accusations of being "tinpot" because of modern transport not because we endured years of sitting on scaffolding in the pouring rain because some ba*tard nicked our stadium.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The only thing I would disagree with is "Brighton are hard to understand because we’ve had so much history, though at the beginning it was unremarkable"

Pretty much all clubs (with the exception of the Plastics you go on to rightly call out at the end) have "so much history". Most clubs in the FL are round or about 100 years old - I am admittedly round quite a lot, but measured in lifetimes, no club can really be accused of not having a history so long that no one could possibly remember it all. I'm sure back in the early days which you have dismissed as "unremarkable", those who were there thought it was anything but. New clubs started, some failed, some merged, some went on to be the historic names we know now. To dismiss that period is to say "nothing was going on" when the first fish decided to sprout legs and crawl up the beach... just because there was no one else around to witness and tell stories about it doesn't mean it wasn't a truly heart (or whatever basic organ they had then that meant they bled blue & white or red or sky blue or whatever) stopping, f*cking adventure!

Other than that moan. Thanks, good read and completely agree with the sentiment about tomorrow! Shame Southern Railway don't feel the same! I'm expected delayed kick-off, replacement bus nightmare and a number of accusations of being "tinpot" because of modern transport not because we endured years of sitting on scaffolding in the pouring rain because some ba*tard nicked our stadium.

It's a fair point and one I've perhaps not conveyed properly. Though I've had this on my mind for the last week my thoughts have been longer than a thread post but shorter than a novel, hence eventually spewing this out. With brief mentions of the Charity Shield and the line " Not that it was insignificant down here. The Goldstone’s record attendance of 36,747 was set in 1958" I've tried to cover off that sentiment. However, to the wider footballing public the years 79-83, the Gory period and the current Amex regime would be the three most interesting parts of our history. I think..

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Sometimes I feel sorry for MK Don fans. They support them because they live there and they want to watch football. Maybe build a community. That makes sense to me,

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sometimes I feel sorry for MK Don fans. They support them because they live there and they want to watch football. Maybe build a community. That makes sense to me,
Agreed. Wish they'd drop the 'dons' part of their name though, doesn't do them many favours building their identity with MK.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

They don't do themselves any favours by going to the game wearing their Spurs and Arsenal tops.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Agreed. Wish they'd drop the 'dons' part of their name though, doesn't do them many favours building their identity with MK.

Isn't the Dons bit just so the owners could retain (take hostage) Wimbledon fans as well as mugging them. Yeah I don't think that will work!

I wonder if any Wimbledon fan goes. I doubt it.

Drop the Dons! Or keep to make sure no one forgets!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Isn't the Dons bit just so the owners could retain (take hostage) Wimbledon fans as well as mugging them. Yeah I don't think that will work!

I wonder if any Wimbledon fan goes. I doubt it.

Drop the Dons! Or keep to make sure no one forgets!

I know of Wimbledon fans who still go.
We may not agree with their decisions but it is true.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Tend to agree. What is this an assault on new towns (and at a moment when they've been denied and traduced just when then were most needed)? So, the new club and the MK bit is fine, but the Dons bit is a disaster.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Tend to agree. What is this an assault on new towns (and at a moment when they've been denied and traduced just when then were most needed)? So, the new club and the MK bit is fine, but the Dons bit is a disaster.

The people of MK do carry some small part of the blame in what was a very bad moment in football history...

CJTC: "We'd like to move Wimbledon to Milton Keynes"

Wimbledon residents: "F*ck off its our local club and whatever its current problems, it should always be here"

Milton Keynes residents: "F*ck off, we want our own club not somebody else's! Build one of our local sides up or create a new one, but don't steal something that belongs to someone else!"

FA/FL: "Sorry. That's not how it works in this country... move a club in and around the city/town its in, but you can't take it away. Create a new one and we'll get you registered double quick"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Agree with this. Would suspect other clubs fans reading this might perceive the article is suggesting that our recent history is better than theirs, which might come across as arrogant. You could really only make a statement like that if you have researched the recent history of other clubs. Look at Wigan, within 35 years of entering the Football league, they rose to the top, won the FA Cup, played in Europe and, since then have slid down the league. Look at Charlton, played away from their traditional home for, at the time, longer than any other club. Against the odds played many years in the top flight and at one time boasted a European Player of the Year in their team. Loads of clubs will view their history as special whilst those away from that club probably wouldn't.

Also, it paints a picture of regular 30k crowds which is far from the truth.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If only they'd drop the "dons" affectation and just call themselves Milton Keynes United or something.

They don't need the affectation. They surely will never get anything but stick whilst they're stuck with the Wimbledon curse.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

Nothing against new towns but if you want a football team start a small semi pro one and work your way up the league. It's the manner of shipping a team in that's disgusting but it's the Spurs fans who can't be arsed with a 45 minute train journey to Euston that made it possible. When / if the Class Of 92 get Salford City in to League Two they won't be plastic, they'll be a community side that have picked up local residents at the right time for the right reason.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nothing against new towns but if you want a football team start a small semi pro one and work your way up the league. It's the manner of shipping a team in that's disgusting but it's the Spurs fans who can't be arsed with a 45 minute train journey to Euston that made it possible. When / if the Class Of 92 get Salford City in to League Two they won't be plastic, they'll be a community side that have picked up local residents at the right time for the right reason.

Yes. Agree. I was trying to make a point about (the lack of) new towns (or, perhaps better, new property), and using MK Dons to do so. Which is not the best way of doing things.

I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again ...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Yes. Agree. I was trying to make a point about (the lack of) new towns (or, perhaps better, new property), and using MK Dons to do so. Which is not the best way of doing things.

I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again.
I won't do this again ...

I believed you after the third one :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

First of all congratulations on a first class piece of writing.

As for Salford City, Gary Neville changing the colour of the shirts from orange to red and bringing on board a far eastern billionaire is a bit Vincent Tan for me.

If you want to see an example of a true community club in Manchester though...............

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

As for Salford City, Gary Neville changing the colour of the shirts from orange to red and bringing on board a far eastern billionaire is a bit Vincent Tan for me.

If you want to see an example of a true community club in Manchester though...............

Cheers, and you're right, it's a much better example. I caught up with Class of 92 when I got in last night so had it in my mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Citeh?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here