Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black managers

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I would just like to add a little something on the lack of black managers subject.

I do not buy into the lack of black managers in football being a racism thing.

I do though buy into the fact that clubs will now not consider employing a black manager
Because of 2 things

(A) feel abliged to keep him because of his race.
(B) the extra publicity created if you do sack him.

Football in England is financed by foreigners & nobody seems to mind.
So why is the colour of the managers skin so important.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
So the lack of black managers isn't a race issue but future potential black managers may not get a job because of their race

ok

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Chris Hughton is doing very well at the moment, and has a good record else where as well.

Tony Bloom doesn't seem to have any racial issues.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bored of hearing about colour,nationality,sexuality etc etc when we are one of the most tolerant countries out there.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No one really is suggesting that black managers lose their jobs because of racist Chairmen or that they should keep their jobs just to keep the number of black managers quota in England up. It is more to do with the fact that they are not given the opportunity in the first place. Very few black managers actually even get interviewed for jobs when they come up. That's the part which needs to be highlighted more.

CH is the perfect example. He got the Newcastle Managers job by default. No one could have foreseen Kevin Keegan walking out when he did but after he did. Newcastle brought in Joe Kinnear over his head and he hadn't been involved in football for over 10 years. Then when he had his heart attack, they brought in Alan Sheared over his head who had never managed at all.

CH only got the job because Mike Ashley needed a scapegoat to sack if they didn't go straight back up from the Championship at the first attempt. Chris then surprised everyone by taking them back up with over 100 points. Then when they were back in the Premiership and 12th in the table he sacked him anyhow.

So really it is about giving black managers the opportunity to even be short listed for the jobs by the Football Chairmen that is the real stumbling block

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No one really is suggesting that black managers lose their jobs because of racist Chairmen or that they should keep their jobs just to keep the number of black managers quota in England up.

Sorry mate, you are very wrong on this. Troy Townsend is implying exactly what you claim no one is suggesting on the BBC website:

"To lose both managers sends out a really strong message to those aspiring to get on this journey," said Townsend.

But former Chelsea defender Frank Sinclair disagreed and called Townsend's claims "damaging".

As you say, the lack of black managers being given the opportunity to manage professional clubs is unacceptable in today's game but if they underperform in their role once they've got a job, they simply must be treated the same as white managers. Part of the problem here is that we have so many foreign managers from countries that are ethnically Caucasian who aren't giving black managers a chance either.

I agree with Sinclair that Townsend's comments are damaging and patronising for any black man who wants to be treated the same as his white counterpart.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Why has no one mentioned that it is two more English managers that have been sacked, one already replaced by yet another foreigner.

That is more concerning to me.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i dont understand the obsession some people have with highlighting racism and managers as black or players as pakistani and the lack of them,or even not enough black or Pakistani or Muslim Police or not enough........i could go on.

I just see people getting jobs,i would never think to say Brighton have hired a black manager.....good for us.........its just a qualified bloke getting a job.why brink skin colour into it.

perhaps the perceived problem is actually with the white anti racists and their constant calling of the racist card where racism never exists in the first place and ever so patronising outlook that minorities have to be protected from us white little englanders.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sorry mate, you are very wrong on this. Troy Townsend is implying exactly what you claim no one is suggesting on the BBC website:

As you say, the lack of black managers being given the opportunity to manage professional clubs is unacceptable in today's game but if they underperform in their role once they've got a job, they simply must be treated the same as white managers. Part of the problem here is that we have so many foreign managers from countries that are ethnically Caucasian who aren't giving black managers a chance either.

You are suggesting that the 2 managers sacked were under-performing - Where exactly did people expect Huddersfield to be at this point in the season that Chris Powell is under performing?

Similarly with QPR. They are a team in transition who have lost some key players from last season. The clubs above them for the most part are the clubs which have spent quite a lot of money and who could have expected to be at the top of the league at this stage. Chris Ramsay is in a similar position to that of Chris Hughton when he took over at Newcastle. The difference being that Chris was about 48 years old and had coached and managed since he was 36 years old under a lot of decent managers. QPR had not lost touch with the play off sides.

Finally your point about the foreign managers restricting black managers only really carries weight in the top 2 divisions. and still black managers still don't get many options in the lower leagues. I know a lot of coaches personally. I know what jobs they apply for and I know that they don't even get short listed. Look at York City for example. I know 3 black coaches who applied for that job and didn't get a response. Who gets the job? Jackie McNamara who was recently sacked because his team were bottom of the league in Scotland..............Strange to say the least.

I am not saying those 3 black coaches should have got the York job. All I am saying is. Why are they not even being interviewed for the job?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
positive discrimination is an absolute cringe.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

You are suggesting that the 2 managers sacked were under-performing - Where exactly did people expect Huddersfield to be at this point in the season that Chris Powell is under performing?

Similarly with QPR. They are a team in transition who have lost some key players from last season. The clubs above them for the most part are the clubs which have spent quite a lot of money and who could have expected to be at the top of the league at this stage. Chris Ramsay is in a similar position to that of Chris Hughton when he took over at Newcastle. The difference being that Chris was about 48 years old and had coached and managed since he was 36 years old under a lot of decent managers. QPR had not lost touch with the play off sides.

Finally your point about the foreign managers restricting black managers only really carries weight in the top 2 divisions. and still black managers still don't get many options in the lower leagues. I know a lot of coaches personally. I know what jobs they apply for and I know that they don't even get short listed. Look at York City for example. I know 3 black coaches who applied for that job and didn't get a response. Who gets the job? Jackie McNamara who was recently sacked because his team were bottom of the league in Scotland..............Strange to say the least.

I am not saying those 3 black coaches should have got the York job. All I am saying is. Why are they not even being interviewed for the job?
Out of the 44 players taking the part one UEFA coaching course at St Georges park this summer 41 were white, that might give you a clue as to the lack of black managers.if you havent got the qualifications , you arent going to get the job.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

"To lose both managers sends out a really strong message to those aspiring to get on this journey," said Townsend.

But former Chelsea defender Frank Sinclair disagreed and called Townsend's claims "damaging".

I agree with Sinclair that Townsend's comments are damaging and patronising for any black man who wants to be treated the same as his white counterpart.

Exactly. And [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] is right too - get the badges, then if there is still an anomaly we'll take you seriously.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Out of the 44 players taking the part one UEFA coaching course at St Georges park this summer 41 were white, that might give you a clue as to the lack of black managers.if you havent got the qualifications , you arent going to get the job.

Exactly. Most of the 100m sprinters Team GB select are black, is this racist? This is a nothing thread.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
perhaps the perceived problem is actually with the white anti racists and their constant calling of the racist card where racism never exists in the first place and ever so patronising outlook that minorities have to be protected from us white little englanders.

The ones playing the race card are shite black managers like Paul Ince and John Barnes who can't get another job.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Im sure there will be alot more black mangers in England within the 10 years or so, simply for the fact there are ALOT more black players in the English game now then there was 10, 20, 30 years ago.

And with more ex players going into management and coaching now then ever, seemingly straight from retirement too, you would think that the next generation of mangers will be made up of just as many, if not more black managers then white.

I dont see the current lack of black managers being a conspiracy.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
In our case once you tried black you will never turn back.

Oh hang on there arnt any others. Better keep him.

It's got nothing to do with his skin colour he is fing brilliant.

We should be careful another club might steal him from us because of positive discrimination

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Why do black nations tend to appoint non black Managers/head coaches? How many successful black managers have there been? Ramsey and Powell have recently lost their jobs and not for the first time. Is it more of an ability thing?

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
I do think there is a role model issue in some industries. For instance teaching and that's gender as well.

However I'm convinced in years to come there will be plenty of black managers naturally appointed because of their ability. Youth teams seem to have more and more black coaches. I'm not sure it's a significant problem in football employment for black people I think it's evolving quite naturally in this country.

However where are all the ethinc minority supporters in the ground. Why do so few women attend. Maybe here highlights more significant issues.

Maybe we need to show they are welcome! Positive discrimination could be better placed here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here