Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice needed cheap laptop for my daughter please

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Some advice needed please. Daughter wants cheap laptop to store photos download music. I know she wants a re writer but some advice needed regarding memory, i.e will a 4 gig be OK or should I spend the extra for an 8 gig? She will also be on Facebook and other media like face time etc.
Thank you in advance for your help.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Some advice needed please. Daughter wants cheap laptop to store photos download music. I know she wants a re writer but some advice needed regarding memory, i.e will a 4 gig be OK or should I spend the extra for an 8 gig? She will also be on Facebook and other media like face time etc.
Thank you in advance for your help.

What's your budget?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
She has iPad but wants cheap laptop where she can store pictures and put them on to a disk along with music, so anyone know if a 4 gig will OK or should I go for an 8 gig for memory?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
8 minimum photos take up a lot of space

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
She has iPad but wants cheap laptop where she can store pictures and put them on to a disk along with music, so anyone know if a 4 gig will OK or should I go for an 8 gig for memory?

As someone who learned a very expensive lesson with photos, make sure there are back up copies stored somewhere. Can get a 1TB USB external storage thing for about £40

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
HP Stream. That'll fit your requirements.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I would look on ebay for a refurb HP business like a 8470p - I got one of those recently for about £280 (but are now about £200) for an i5 with 4GB RAM and legit licence for Windows 7/8.1 Pro. As these are business laptops they are easy to upgrade (memory and hard disk) and also have the functions like the ability to connect to a docking station so once the computer is "home" it can be easily connected to a desktop monitor, keyboard and mouse.

If you get a cheap laptop from a supermarket or a somewhere like PCWorld, they tend to be low quality and aren't that quick to run applications.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
If your daughter is used to Apple don't put her through having to use Windows no one deserves that!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Get her a Chromebook. My lad has one and loves it. He is 13. His school is now dishing them out to all the pupils as part of their new teaching programme.

Chromebooks are great (I have one) but there's no storage on them. And if his daughter is not using Google/Android, it's not an easy fit

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the 4/8 Gig refered to is RAM for Windows to run in. if theres not much price difference get the 8GB but if sticking to budget go 4GB, its plenty.

what you want to be looking at, and spending more to get more, is the Harddrive space, this will be in the order of 500GB up. as suggested, put some money aside for a USB backup drive if your bothered about the pictures, or maybe a cloud service (though remember they arent necessrily any safer online).

note on Chromebook, by all accounts a lovely bit of kit but wholely unsuitable for local storage, entire premise is to store everything in the cloud

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Personally I wouldn't go near Apple. Unless your going high end video editing/AutoCAD route then 4Gb RAM will be more than enough, use an external HD along with the million free cloud storage areas and job's a fish.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Chromebooks are great (I have one) but there's no storage on them. And if his daughter is not using Google/Android, it's not an easy fit

But the cloud is where it is at, it is the future. Look how the storage is dropping on all laptops, especially Apple. She can use a Chromebook and access all her pics anywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here