Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton disabled children's service to be axed !!

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Thread title copied from petition.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/brighton-disabled-children-s-service-to-be-axed

These are the sort of services that provide lots of secondary benefits to our community, as well as primary benefits to those families that manage to get some respite through it's use.
I don't blame the council, central government have axed funds and these are the sort of 'luxury' services that will have to go.

My partner is involved with this service but yet i have mixed feelings about the petition.

Discuss and/or sign.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/brighton-disabled-children-s-service-to-be-axed

These are the sort of services that provide lots of secondary benefits to our community, as well as primary benefits to those families that manage to get some respite through it's use.
I don't blame the council, central government have axed funds and these are the sort of 'luxury' services that will have to go.

My partner is involved with this service but yet i have mixed feelings about the petition.

Discuss and/or sign.

I've signed it already via a friend's facebook. Her daughter is severely disabled and uses it and she's really worried. Personally I'd rather have this and not have, say, the i360 or more cycle lanes.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Hardly a day goes by down here in the southwest when services and places like this are closed due to funding cuts.
They always affect children, the elderly, the disabled, the vulnerable, the sick and dying.
All in the name of austerity which is a choice and not as necessary to cut as deep as they are.
And still millions go to causes either not as necessary or to benefit richer people.
My God I hate Cameron and this Government now they are in power alone they are out of control.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Hardly a day goes by down here in the southwest when services and places like this are closed due to funding cuts.
They always affect children, the elderly, the disabled, the vulnerable, the sick and dying.
All in the name of austerity which is a choice and not as necessary to cut as deep as they are.
And still millions go to causes either not as necessary or to benefit richer people.
My God I hate Cameron and this Government now they are in power alone they are out of control.

Plenty of people on here were rejoicing about the cuts, not so funny is it when they hit close to home ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Discuss and/or sign.

Interested to know what your feelings are as you say they are mixed!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
We ain't seen nothing yet. Wait for the Autumn Spending Review on 25 November. Further cuts to public spending of between 25 and 40% are likely. Some of this will filter down quite quickly to local government budgets, already cut to the bone in many cases and struggling to deliver their statutory obligations.

However, this is, apparently* what the British people (including a fair number on NSC, if I recall) voted for. I'm not sure that single issue petitions and campaigns are the way forward. Inevitably these end up favouring the more 'heart-tugging' services, and if they are saved, the cuts elsewhere on less visible services (but often equally important) will be worse. There are many difficult decisions now to be made in sharing out the pain of the massive cuts, and I think that referenda/petitions are not the best way to organise this.

* although, of course, a majority didn't vote for this. Without electoral reform and some kind of proportional system, I fear that we are going to get majority Tory governments, with an "anti-state" ideological bent like this one, for the foreseeable future.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've signed it already via a friend's facebook. Her daughter is severely disabled and uses it and she's really worried. Personally I'd rather have this and not have, say, the i360 or more cycle lanes.

I agree with you. Isn't this Brighton council funding rather than Government?

Brighton council who spent £270K paying off a useless executive this summer. They know how to waste money instead of funding for disabled children.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Interested to know what your feelings are as you say they are mixed!

I think it's an important service, very important. But if we are to have cuts, as the current government has a mandate to deliver, where should those cuts come?

My mixed feelings come from the petition to the local government, if it's not this service, the cuts will affect another service.
Due to my partner's involvement in this area, i'm aware of the cuts and redundancies that have already occurred here. I'm conscious that other areas are being cut, but without the knowledge of how deep and also how important these other areas are.

EDIT: soistes put it much better than me! post #7

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I agree with you 100% but funding for the i360 is a loan that couldn't be used for this service and cycle lanes are built from the parking budget and grants which once again can't legally be used for this service. The joys of public sector funding and the idiots who decide the rules !

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Huge cuts need to be made unless someone wants to make up the difference,adult learning disabilities has been hit hard already in the city.This has been pretty stressful for families and service users but not sure what the best solution is to be honest.

How about rather than saying that they are going to collect taxes from companies and people that either avoid or do not pay enough tax actually collect it even though they say they are, they most certainly are not, mainly due to no one left in the tax office to actually do it.
That would be a good start then maybe some of these places may be able to stay open.
This is just my view I am not going to get involved in a political argument, I am not in the mood
So rip it apart if you want to.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Every time something like this happens, I like to remind myself that Osbourne let his mates who run Vodaphone off a £6 BILLION tax bill. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1704527/Taxman-let-Vodafone-off-6bn-bill.html

We're all in it together lads.

I agree with you that it's almost criminal that they were let off that tax BUT HMRC do not have a minister in charge of them, they are effectively independent of the government, the idiot that agreed the deal wasn't Osbourne and I would suggest the deal discussions started whilst Labour was in power ( not that they would have had any more control over it than the Tories ).

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
net-debt-billion-nominal-500x428.png article-0-190F39AD000005DC-388_634x382.jpg

Bloody Evil Tories blah blah blah yawn. Meanwhile back in the real world something has to be done to get the debt under control. And closing a few tax loopholes ain't gonna do it. Please send all ideas for those easy fluffy cuts that don't personally effect you to HMG.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree with you that it's almost criminal that they were let off that tax BUT HMRC do not have a minister in charge of them, they are effectively independent of the government, the idiot that agreed the deal wasn't Osbourne and I would suggest the deal discussions started whilst Labour was in power ( not that they would have had any more control over it than the Tories ).

HMRC does have a minister in charge: the chief secretary of the treasury. But you're right about the Vodafone deal, that was on Labour's watch

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
HMRC does have a minister in charge: the chief secretary of the treasury. But you're right about the Vodafone deal, that was on Labour's watch

No they don't - I know because I tried to raise a complaint against them via my MP who made the statement that they didn't have any minister overseeing them. Effectively they report directly to the Queen.

"HM Revenue & Customs ( HMRC ) is a non-ministerial department; this makes it different from most other government departments, which work under the direct day-to-day control of a minister. The Queen appoints Commissioners of HMRC who have responsibility for handling individual taxpayers' affairs impartially."

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Vodafone-accountants-weeks-6bn-tax-deal.html They're all mates.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No they don't - I know because I tried to raise a complaint against them via my MP who made the statement that they didn't have any minister overseeing them. Effectively they report directly to the Queen.

From the government website

"The Financial Secretary is responsible for:

deputising for the Chancellor at Ecofin
EU Budget and wider EU issues
strategic oversight of the UK tax system including direct, indirect, business, property and personal taxation
corporate and small business taxation
European and international tax issues
departmental minister for HM Revenue and Customs and the Valuation Office Agency"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here