Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England u21's squad

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Out of the 21 players selected in the squad; 14 are premier league players (or parent club is premier league), 7 are championship players. Out of the 7, 3 are from good old BHA.

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Preston North End, loan from Sunderland), Christian Walton (Brighton & Hove Albion), Joe Wildsmith (Sheffield Wednesday)

Defenders: Tyias Browning (Everton), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Brendan Galloway (Everton), Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Jack Stephens (Middlesbrough, loan from Southampton), Matt Targett (Southampton)

Midfielders: Lewis Baker (Vitesse Arnhem, loan from Chelsea), Nathaniel Chalobah (SSC Napoli, loan from Chelsea), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Forwards: Chuba Akpom (Hull City, loan from Arsenal), Jordon Ibe (Liverpool), Solly March (Brighton & Hove Albion), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), Dominic Solanke (Vitesse Arnhem, loan from Chelsea), Duncan Watmore (Sunderland), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham)

Well done lads!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well done to the Albion trio!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Out of the 21 players selected in the squad ...7 are championship players. Out of the 7, 3 are from good old BHA.

I may be going loopy but I can only count 6 championship players: the 3 Albion ones plus Wildsmith, Iorfa and Woodrow. Who have I missed?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I may be going loopy but I can only count 6 championship players: the 3 Albion ones plus Wildsmith, Iorfa and Woodrow. Who have I missed?

Yep - same here.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Counting Pickford I suspect. Getting rave reviews at PNE. I thought Walton stood out for the Under 21 for the Albion in the last game.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
This is made even more impressive with the fact that one of the 6 championship players listed is the 3rd choice goalkeeper, which makes him pretty much irrelevant to the squad as he's very unlikely to be used. We basically have 3/5.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Counting Pickford I suspect. Getting rave reviews at PNE. I thought Walton stood out for the Under 21 for the Albion in the last game.

Based on PNE at home I thought Pickford looked better than Walton, more commanding and a bigger 'presence'.

Just saying [emoji4]

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Based on PNE at home I thought Pickford looked better than Walton, more commanding and a bigger 'presence'.

Just saying [emoji4]

I agree. I thought Walton looked the better keeper (could get to balls that Pickford would not even consider) but accident prone and in need of more experience? I prefer Walton as a prospect.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nine playing for Championship clubs. Only seven if you exclude Forster-Caskey & Walton cause they are not playing?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Question. I talk to other supporters and fans of other clubs about how we 'own' our team. ie no loanees from PL clubs. In reality would you prefer a loan striker to put those balls in the net?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Question. I talk to other supporters and fans of other clubs about how we 'own' our team. ie no loanees from PL clubs. In reality would you prefer a loan striker to put those balls in the net?

All players are really just on loan. But for how long? ]

But I see the point. Emergency loans are for just that, to cover injuries in an emergency like when losing our only left back. Or in danger of relegation and in need of a boost.

I think that young loanees like Teixeira were more concerned with advancing their own career and would try a long shot on rather than a key pass. Not in favour of loans unless it is "try before purchasing" or to comply with transfer deadlines. I am not in favour of loaning out first team squad players at all. On balance ther risk of injury is greater than the need for match practice.

There may be a financial restraint that means loaning out players to save on wages to bring in a permanent player. Better to sell them before their transfer value depreciates even more.

Best to sell a player in-form as we get more money for them (especially if he is a bit naff and having a bit of luck*). So I am not apt to sell players just cause they are off form. If they are no good we shouldn't have signed them in the first place. (*I always wanted CMS to score a hatrick so we could get a transfer fee for him. preferably against Leeds).

So what striker has good prospects and is going through a bad run and is available below his value and not reached peak age of 27 yet? Apart from Buckley that is?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
But the main point is to buy a good striker who has lost his way a little, cause they are affordable. Not a naff striker who has suddenly hit a patch of form.

Sometimes, it is a bit risky because they have lost form because of an injury. The injury may recoccur?

Fans and even the management are so impatient that as soon as a good player loses a bit of form they get on his back and call for someone better. Buckley especially.

Poyet to me wanted to buy ready made players, not ones that would get better. The Chelsea mentality. I don't see Southampton and Burnley doing that. Of course, it requires good judgement when choosing a permanent player rather than a loan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nine playing for Championship clubs. Only seven if you exclude Forster-Caskey & Walton cause they are not playing?

Forster-Caskey has played more times in the Championship this season than Joe Wildsmith, Jack Stephens or Cauley Woodrow. Carry on belittling our lads though :thumbsup:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Forster-Caskey has played more times in the Championship this season than Joe Wildsmith, Jack Stephens or Cauley Woodrow. Carry on belittling our lads though :thumbsup:

Solly March or Jake Forster-Caskey to start? I hope Redmond is injured and both are picked.

I said I prefered Walton to Pickford. Both look like good keepers to me. Pickford made a very good save and an excellent reaction one against us.Pickford is nearly two years older than Walton.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Must be names missing from that squad list. We had a Palace gimp the other week telling us that they had players in their U21s that were better than Solly March.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Solly March or Jake Forster-Caskey to start? I hope Redmond is injured and both are picked.

I said I prefered Walton to Pickford. Both look like good keepers to me. Pickford made a very good save and an excellent reaction one against us.Pickford is nearly two years older than Walton.

Lets be honest , Pickford way ahead of Walton at the moment....

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
This is made even more impressive with the fact that one of the 6 championship players listed is the 3rd choice goalkeeper, which makes him pretty much irrelevant to the squad as he's very unlikely to be used. We basically have 3/5.

It doesn't say which keeper is 3rd choice - they are named in alphabetical order

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
It doesn't say which keeper is 3rd choice - they are named in alphabetical order

It doesn't say who's 3rd choice, but considering Wildsmith has only played once for England U20s, with Walton having played 4 times for the U19s and 8 for the U20s, it's pretty clear who's further up in the pecking order.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here