Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binge-watch word of the year

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
http://www.BBC.co.UK/news/entertainment-arts-34723515

I binge-watched 4 out if 6 episodes of The Jinx last night (very good if you haven't seen it). Just done whole series of The Middle in a few days as well.

I can cover 5 of the top ten words (1,2 (trying),3 (my work is heavy into this),5 :( & 9), how many do you fit into?

Collins' Words of the Year, plus definitions

1) binge-watch (verb): to watch a large number of television programmes (especially all the shows from one series) in succession

2) clean eating (noun): following a diet that contains only natural foods, and is low in sugar, salt, and fat

3) contactless (adjective): referring to payments, smart cards, etc that utilize RFID (radio-frequency identity) technology and do not require a PIN or signature from the customer

4) Corbynomics (noun): the economic policies advocated by the UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn

5) dadbod (noun): an untoned and slightly plump male physique, especially one considered attractive

6) ghosting (noun): ending a relationship by ignoring all communication from the other person

7) manspreading (noun): the act or an instance of a male passenger in a bus or train splaying his legs in a way that denies space to the passenger sitting next to him

8) shaming (noun): attempting to embarrass a person or group by drawing attention to their perceived offence, especially on social media

9) swipe (verb): to move a finger across a touchscreen on a mobile phone in order to approve (swipe right) or dismiss (swipe left) an image

10) transgender (adjective): of or relating to a person whose gender identity does not fully correspond to the sex assigned to them at birth

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Corbynomics? I wasn't aware that he had put forward any fiscal policies.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"Those words that remain popular could be included in the next print edition of the Collins English Dictionary, due in 2018."

FFS. Dr Johnson must be spinning in his grave.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
2) is an adjective not a noun, surely.

And 6), 7), and 8) are all present participles of verbs, not nouns.

Dictionaries ain't wot they used to be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here