Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Egypt holiday worry

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'd say that the whole of the Middle East is a concern. Mind you your living in a country where there's a lot of Beards waiting to blow you up or cut your head off as you go about your lawful.

If you live in fear you aren't living.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm going to Egypt in February should i be worried. I'm traveling to hurghada airport but it is a little concerning :down:

I could say how terrorists cant be allowed to win and how local communities rely on your tourist dollar.
But in reality the simple truth is,given the current climate and the current advice from the foreign office you have every right to be at least a little concerned.. I certainly would be if travelling with family.
how you act on those concerns is a different matter.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Someone I know is currently stuck in Egypt, was due to come back today but apprently all fights been cancelled for a week

They have no holiday money left and have to leave the hotel by 12pm today

Can anyone give me some advice so I can pass it on please?!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Someone I know is currently stuck in Egypt, was due to come back today but apprently all fights been cancelled for a week

They have no holiday money left and have to leave the hotel by 12pm today

Can anyone give me some advice so I can pass it on please?!

The tour operator should be able to help, they have a duty of care.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The fact you have posted means you are having second thoughts. Plenty of lovely places in the world to go, why risk going to Egypt when there is no need.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Glad my days of travelling to Egypt, north africa etc. are behind me. Been there, done that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We booked a holiday to Sharm on Friday, only for the plane crash on Saturday.

I've contacted the travel company, and their view was that currently Sharm is still OK to travel to, and UK airlines have been avoiding Sinai for a while now anyway, and flying over Egypt.

If the foreign office advice changes then they will find an alternative for us, but until then, we can't cancel without incurring heft penalties.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I've contacted the travel company, and their view was that currently Sharm is still OK to travel to, and UK airlines have been avoiding Sinai for a while now anyway, and flying over Egypt.

If the foreign office advice changes then they will find an alternative for us, but until then, we can't cancel without incurring heft penalties.

Who did you book with and when are you going if you don't mind me asking?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

The FO advice has changed. No travel recommended unless essential. Lots of airlines have cancelled flights which were to go out there and those involved will receive refunds. The advice applies for 48 hours but will probably be extended.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Listening to Breakfast news, this morning, it seems the problem the FO has is, not with the area, but the airport. It seems as though their security has been very lax, and believed to have allowed a bomb on board the Russian plane.
Someone posted yesterday, about seeing tourists going through security with bottles of water, without being stopped.

The British are sending people out there to check on security arrangements before removing the ban on flights.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Someone posted yesterday, about seeing tourists going through security with bottles of water, without being stopped.

Why should they be? The 100ml liquids rule isn't a global thing, it's only EU airports and a few other places.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
going in the second week of February. i have to make the final payment on 27th and am flying with thomas cook, its a holiday with a couple of friends.

Thomas Cook are pretty good. If there is any danger they let you change holidays/cancel FOC.

It's just too early to do it for Feb at the moment, I imagine the advice will last for 3 weeks max

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The British are sending people out there to check on security arrangements before removing the ban on flights.

Oh that will go down a well, British colonials showing them how it is done properly...

As soon as we are gone, back to normal.

I would guess there is more chance of a sympathizer helping or waving through a suspicious object in Egypt than western countries, so in short they can't win.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oh that will go down a well, British colonials showing them how it is done properly...

As soon as we are gone, back to normal.

I would guess there is more chance of a sympathizer helping or waving through a suspicious object in Egypt than western countries, so in short they can't win.

Another reason given is that security checks on workers not stringent enough. If they want the business, they'll have to tighten up as holiday firms won't go there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here