Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon Crazy Gang

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just been sent a copy of the Crazy Gang book, and it's a great read. Non-league in 1977 to sixth in the old first division a decade later under Bassett, and then the FA Cup a year later.

Reckon that will ever happen again? And just to remind ourselves ahead of the game with those MK Dons interlopers.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not unless a wealthy Arab/Russian takes a shine to a non league club. Enjoyed my occasional visits to the aptly named plough lane though, terrible pitch.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
seem to remember Dickie Guy saving a pen up at Elland forcing the replay

46k Elland
45k Selhurst

Southwick lost to Bournemouth in the first round proper

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Terrible memories. I saw the Albion in a midweek evening downpour. One of the rare occasions where we agreed we were mad to leave the pub - The Alenandria at Wimbledon station. 1-0 to Wimbledon. I think it was Alan Cork. It pissed down, terrible floodlights - everything was dark, the ball hoofed downfield continually, a horrible over-physical team. Complete nightmare of an evening.

Terrible memories. I saw the Albion in a midweek evening downpour. One of the rare occasions where we agreed we were mad to leave the pub - The Alenandria at Wimbledon station. 1-0 to Wimbledon. I think it was Alan Cork. It pissed down, terrible floodlights - everything was dark, the ball hoofed downfield continually, a horrible over-physical team. Complete nightmare of an evening.

Rings a bell!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah The Alex. My local when I lived there. Good pub. [emoji106]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Was it Chris Cattlin who said they had to carry the ball off on a stretcher after we played them at Plough Lane?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

preferred their local in kingston after the move,shame its shut down,if you paid a pound it was the best liver and gravy in south london

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Indeed, the Alex is the best pub for miles around. :thumbsup:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
0-0 up there when Darren Newman made his (possibly) only first team appearance as sub. Dreadful game.

I was very good mates with Darren's older brother

pretty sure his only game was at the Goldstone against Shrewsbury,but I might be wrong

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Edited:

Crazy gang could not get away with their antics in the modern game. You can't touch anyone without being sent off these days.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not too fussed as long as we go with 2 wingers to attack them from the off, so March and Murphy (or Elvis) should start.

What has that to do with the Crazy Gang ?

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I was very good mates with Darren's older brother

pretty sure his only game was at the Goldstone against Shrewsbury,but I might be wrong

You could well be right. I think the game at Wimbledon was the first time he'd made the bench but can't remember whether or not he came on. Absolute Burgess Hill legend!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here