Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas Lights Switch On

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I was in Ourense last Christmas, and the mayor, in an anti-austerity message, spent big on Christmas, and it was bloody lovely. He's to double the budget this year too, with a mad array of lights and performances. I'll be there for some of it. It makes such a difference. I'd then come home, waltz up the dreary Hornsey Rise and see a single, 5-bulb string of lights in 1-in-10 trees, and oddly enough my senses aren't enthralled and cheered at all by cheapness. Why can't councils budget a little bit for our happiness instead of it being seen as a sinful expense. Why can't they try and outdo each other for the spectacular. A dourness filters downwards.

The mayor of Malaga, says quite rightly that it brings in tourists from afar. These same people either spend time with local family or hotels, and the venta's do a roaring trade during the evening. It's win as far as the city is concerned.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Keeping it local-ish and in the tradition of long forgotten Eastenders 'stars' being hauled out of obscurity, Michelle Collins will be doing the honours in Hastings this year. There will also be a display of hula hoop dancing. Arrive early to avoid disappointment.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Sam and Daz switched on the Christmas lights in Harborne tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here