Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has the cooking of dinner become all a bit sproncey?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I like a well cooked plate of grub as much as anyone but it seems these days everyone imagines themselves as a Michelin starred chef. They have to describe the process, trying to impress with the ingredients they e sourced from the limbless albinos of the Himalayas, constantly asking you as you eat what you think about this aspect of the meal or that aspect of the meal. People poncing about with roast potatoes, the traditional roast or making out a plate of pasta is anything other than Italian peasant food.

"This saffron infused rose water really brings out the earthy quality of the lamb"

Steak. Every ***** got an opinion. It's the easiest thing in the world to cook yet we are subjected to reams of info about it pre-cooking regime, it's time in the pan and it's resting procedure. I don't care if Fu Man Choo cooked it with his feet, give it here.

In a restaurant fine, I expect some extra care over my meal, at a mates house for a spot of dinner it's tragically boring and it's gone too far.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If it isn't sproncey already then it damn well should be just so we can use the word all the more.
So impressed. Even my spell checker is so confused by it that it can't offer an alternative.

Sproncey :thumbsup:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sproncey - 1) rarely used slang word of indeterminate meaning, most commonly used by middle aged men with nothing better to occupy their minds than whinge on an internet message about how awful it is that their friends have tried to cook them something to eat that they think will be enjoyable.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If it isn't sproncey already then it damn well should be just so we can use the word all the more.
So impressed. Even my spell checker is so confused by it that it can't offer an alternative.

Sproncey :thumbsup:

Take from Dave Angel's description of breakfast with Americans, describing their pancakes, bacon and sweet sauce combo he remarks
"Where do you think you are? Eurodisney? What is it, Yogi Bear's birthday? You sproncey pair of dildos"!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sproncey - 1) rarely used slang word of indeterminate meaning, most commonly used by middle aged men with nothing better to occupy their minds than whinge on an internet message about how awful it is that their friends have tried to cook them something to eat that they think will be enjoyable.

Says someone who's volunteered his spare time to be a moderator on the same board and comment on threads he doesn't even like. It's not meant to start an argument mod, it's a slightly tongue in cheek discussion point. You as a mod shouldn't be trying to derail threads on the 3rd post. Now, where my flan?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Says someone who's volunteered his spare time to be a moderator on the same board and comment on threads he doesn't even like. It's not meant to start an argument mod, it's a slightly tongue in cheek discussion point. You as a mod shouldn't be trying to derail threads on the 3rd post. Now, where my flan?

Oooo, get you!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whats happened to the old fashioned bacon suet or steak and kidney pudding or traditional Toad in the Hole. My wife still makes them but the younger generation of the family dont seem to much.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gor blimey, fancy grub, what's all that about eh.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You wont get any of that pretentious nonsense at my place for 2 reasons; 1 because you'll never be invited and 2. because I cook basic fresh food that's easy to prepare. I have 1 key rule; chillies with every meal (dinner, not breakfast, although I'm partial to chillies in my breakfast burrito)

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You wont get any of that pretentious nonsense at my place for 2 reasons; 1 because you'll never be invited and 2. because I cook basic fresh food that's easy to prepare. I have 1 key rule; chillies with every meal (dinner, not breakfast, although I'm partial to chillies in my breakfast burrito)

Ha, that made me laugh. I rarely accept dinner invites anyway. For the exact reasons in my OP.

Whats happened to the old fashioned bacon suet or steak and kidney pudding or traditional Toad in the Hole. My wife still makes them but the younger generation of the family dont seem to much.

I had Liver and Bacon Casserole last night. Sadly it was not infused with anything.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What I most love about the English language is its ability to regenerate and renew. Of course most new words don't stick in the language and I think that texting is to some degree responsible for their fleeting currency.
"Sproncey" is one that deserves a longer life. It sounds so................................... well, so sproncey. :lolol:

Edit: by-the-by I work with Michelin Star chefs (in a teaching capacity) and they all share the same mantra: looking good is important but what matters is does it eat well?

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had Liver and Bacon Casserole last night. Sadly it was not infused with anything.

Liver and bacon is one of my favourites but we argue as I want it fried and wife will only eat liver if casseroled for ages in the oven. So she doesnt have it very often as she only has it under duress. She does however like the gravy my liver gives.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Has anyone ever suggested you take anger management classes?

I'll leave you to it now.

I am, i assure you, not in the slightest bit angry, and thank you for leaving us to it, you were being very annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here