Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we sign a Striker...

Will we sign a Striker...

• On Loan soon

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • In January

Votes: 114 77.0%
  • Neither, play with the cards we've been dealt.

Votes: 20 13.5%

• Total voters

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
...on loan up to January?

Or hold out and buy one in the transfer window.

Do you think we need another striker to remain in the Top 6?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think we need one on loan, a different option to Baldock.

We have Hemed and Zamora for the hold up role.

BUt we have no alternative to Baldock it seems as Manu appears not to be ready yet.

James Wilson from Man U please. Or Bamford if he is recalled from Palace

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
What about an option for both? It's possible that we'll sign a striker on loan until January, and then make a permanent signing when the window opens again.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
We will be okay until January. Loans can distrupt the team so should only be signed if absolutely necessary.

Be in the top 6 in January and then get a goal scorer and we could get promoted. But we must spend big. Signing a striker for 1 or 2 million just will not cut it.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It is clear we need more fire power up front. Hemed and Zamora are good, but as last night showed, if BZ is out then we are struggling to bring on a player to make a difference and score a goal. Baldock just can't score and we must either find a player on loan to replace him or get someone in from January. No harm in doing both if the budget is available.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'd personally rather we get someone in now to retain our position in the top 4.

However, I think it's more likely TB will hold out until January, assess our position and budget accordingly.
i.e. If we're top 4, I imagine he'll dig deep for someone who will fire us into the top 2 and keep us there.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Can't see us getting a loan forward in before January. I can't imagine many clubs will let a quality striker leave on loan at this time of the season (possibly Leo aside) but I think we'll go big in January.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think we'll get a loan signing in. How many loan strikers are going to be available a) for 3 months b) who are better than what we've got and c) who isn't just going to be here for some match fitness on the way back from injury.

Manu is clearly not doing what was hoped for in training, but I'd rather CH gave him the nod than bring in a disinterested loanee.

Edit: Leo Ulloa is arguably the exception to that - IF he becomes available. I'd rather he came here than to a promotion rival, and Leo himself probably would too.

With that said, I reckon Uncle Tony will go all in on a top notch striker in January if we are sniffing around the top two places.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'd personally rather we get someone in now to retain our position in the top 4.

However, I think it's more likely TB will hold out until January, assess our position and budget accordingly.
i.e. If we're top 4, I imagine he'll dig deep for someone who will fire us into the top 2 and keep us there.

That is my view as I think there are still deep scars at the club over the loans fiasco last season and how totally disruptive it was whereas no matter what player is on the pitch the team spirit and will to win is 100% better.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think we'll line up a permanent signing in January but refuse to be held to ransom by a greedy agent/selling club. TB will want to splash the cash but, in the end, stick to his principles.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Likewise. We really should have got someone better over the summer, but getting a good striker is the hardest thing.

TB doesn't like spending in Janurary, and getting a decent in-form striker then is close to impossible. If the opportunity was there though, I'm sure he'd try.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't think we'll get a loan signing in. How many loan strikers are going to be available a) for 3 months b) who are better than what we've got and c) who isn't just going to be here for some match fitness on the way back from injury.

Manu is clearly not doing what was hoped for in training, but I'd rather CH gave him the nod than bring in a disinterested loanee.

Edit: Leo Ulloa is arguably the exception to that - IF he becomes available. I'd rather he came here than to a promotion rival, and Leo himself probably would too.

With that said, I reckon Uncle Tony will go all in on a top notch striker in January if we are sniffing around the top two places.

Ulloa would be perfect. The supporters want him here (I imagine?), he loves it here and already knows half the squad. He scores goals and would hit the ground running.
I just can't see Leicester loaning him out though, he's their 3rd choice striker who started on the weekend.
I imagine the only option is to buy him back which would likely double our record signing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
TB doesn't like spending in Janurary, and getting a decent in-form striker then is close to impossible. If the opportunity was there though, I'm sure he'd try.

That is the issue for him although a certain Argie arrived in January but was very cheap all things considered and was hugely profitable when sold on.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Can't see a loan, anyone we might get will be a big risk for all sorts of reasons.

I think we muddle through till January but that's a notoriously difficult window to operate in and it may come down to one of our overseas targets coming good.

All plays into the hands of a seriously good gambler!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would appear the club has:-

1 striker that can play 90 minutes.
1 striker that can play 60 minutes.
1 striker that can play 20 minutes, once a week.
1 possible striker that can occasionally play 3 minutes.

Nobody expected that to be enough.
If genuine progress, from Sept onwards, hasn't been made to bring in a striker for 01.01.16, it would appear to be a Burkesque sized cock up.

The other problem is this new found expectation.
If the team were kicking around mid-table we'd be happy enough watching the 'work in progress' and being pleased it's just not last season.
But all of a sudden the team are in a position NOBODY expected and are a third of the way to promotion.
That's going to put a lot more pressure on buying a striker than I doubt anyone (Tony) expected, esp in January.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Be in the top 6 in January and then get a goal scorer and we could get promoted. But we must spend big. Signing a striker for 1 or 2 million just will not cut it.

So we need to sign a Craig Mackail-Smith, rather than a Leonardo Ulloa, Glenn Murray or Ashley Barnes?

Got it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given the amount of effort we have put into the Calleri deal I'd be stunned if we weren't planning to buy someone this window. We may not get Calleri but I doubt he is the only player on our shopping list.

Would welcome a Leo loan with open arms as it would not be the usual mercenary type signing, but we look like we mean business off the pitch this season so expect a signing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think we need one on loan, a different option to Baldock.

We have Hemed and Zamora for the hold up role.

BUt we have no alternative to Baldock it seems as Manu appears not to be ready yet.

James Wilson from Man U please. Or Bamford if he is recalled from Palace

Bamford can't be recalled until January.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here