Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corruption at the F.A. ?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
As we all watch knowingly from the outside as German police raid the headquarters of those who run German football, I can't help but reflect on those in this country. How much did it cost to rebuild Wembley, not on time and over budget? How much did it cost for our failed bid of the World Cup? Why did we continue to back Platini, even though he admitted to receiving the payment from FIFA.

Its filtering down slowly, only a matter of time until a trail leads to these shores.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'd worry less about the FA than FIFA. The FA have shown themselves to be pretty honourable compared with just about everyone else in world football. If we were truly corrupt we would have bunged our way to hosting at least one World Cup. As it is...zip.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It gets overlooked quite a bit, that our bid was sh*te - Now, I have an obvious bias but some of the venues selected?? In particular the red dogs 'stadium', they didn't know where they were going to put it or how they were going to pay for it, it was a pipe dream and obviously is no closer to being built than it was in 2010. Quite why FA would choose that one rather than 2 ready made options in Pride Park and Leicester within 20 miles or so.......What we definitely didn't need to do is build new stadiums. Not that it would have made a jot of difference I guess.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It gets overlooked quite a bit, that our bid was sh*te - Now, I have an obvious bias but some of the venues selected?? In particular the red dogs 'stadium', they didn't know where they were going to put it or how they were going to pay for it, it was a pipe dream and obviously is no closer to being built than it was in 2010. Quite why FA would choose that one rather than 2 ready made options in Pride Park and Leicester within 20 miles or so.......What we definitely didn't need to do is build new stadiums. Not that it would have made a jot of difference I guess.

My 2,000th post on a non rival msg board, sad ****.... :nono:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As we all watch knowingly from the outside as German police raid the headquarters of those who run German football, I can't help but reflect on those in this country. How much did it cost to rebuild Wembley, not on time and over budget? How much did it cost for our failed bid of the World Cup? Why did we continue to back Platini, even though he admitted to receiving the payment from FIFA.

Its filtering down slowly, only a matter of time until a trail leads to these shores.

Are you making specific accusations that our FA have engaged in corrupt practices? Have you any evidence for this?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
As I understood it, we agreed to play friendlies in the region. Not ideal way to win votes but hardly the same as paying millions to FIFA delegates.

I'm not so sure, it amounts to the same thing doesn't it? Was in England's best interest to play an away friendly in Trinidad and make Beckham 'captain for the day'? At best it's a bit stinky, and this is the public bit....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Russia and Qatar have much more to worry about than us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not so sure, it amounts to the same thing doesn't it? Was in England's best interest to play an away friendly in Trinidad and make Beckham 'captain for the day'? At best it's a bit stinky, and this is the public bit....
It was in Jack Warner's best interest that that occurred.
I'd worry less about the FA than FIFA. The FA have shown themselves to be pretty honourable compared with just about everyone else in world football. If we were truly corrupt we would have bunged our way to hosting at least one World Cup. As it is...zip.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It gets overlooked quite a bit, that our bid was sh*te -

yes, thats true. no one was much surprised at Russia beating us (though some expected US to win?), and there was annoyance at the double award for some reason. it was the Qatar win that really was asking questions on the day of "how the fudge... who's paid for that?"

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As I understood it, we agreed to play friendlies in the region. Not ideal way to win votes but hardly the same as paying millions to FIFA delegates.

No-one comes out of this looking good. The only honourable thing to do would have been not to apply to host a World Cup and make it clear why not. Easy with hindsight - but you would think people in the FA knew what was actually going on.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Well, I believe it cost £19m, just to put the bid together for our attempt at the hosting the World Cup. That sounds like a lo of money to me.

Lush

Mods' Pet
When I saw the recent video with Greg Dyke being shown around the training ground, I thought "How on earth is this old duffer anything to do with making decisions about football in this country?"

I don't think there's corruption, but the old boys network must be still up and running.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here