Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Record equalled?

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Our record longest unbeaten run in the League was 16 games during the 1930/31 season.

We've now gone 15 games this season unbeaten in the League, but does the draw against Middlesbrough in last game of last season count towards the run as well? Making it 16 unbeaten, equalling the record?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Our record longest unbeaten run in the League was 16 games during the 1930/31 season.

We've now gone 15 games this season unbeaten in the League, but does the draw against Middlesbrough in last game of last season count towards the run as well? Making it 16 unbeaten, equalling the record?

They have just said this on BBC South East Today. So it must be true.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Of course it is included. What is more impressive the run includes 9 away games. Surely we have never gone 9 away League games without defeat?

Once. In 1937/38.

So that's two records equalled tonight.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Thanks all for clarifying. I think it's an amazing achievement by the current team, especially seems the 1930/31 record was in the equivalent of League One. Brilliant we've equalled the away record too!

Exciting times to be an Albion fan! Let's hope we can beat the record on Saturday then!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It's fantastic and CH deserves all the credit for making us, seemingly, impossible to beat. The man has a plan. That's the big difference for me. In the past we have had managers who refused to countenance the fact that different opponents need different structures to face them. Garcia was the finest example of NOT playing teams tactically and was so cruelly exposed against the likes of Derby.

Hypia was just shit and Poyet insisted on tippy tappy. Hughton understands how this game works. At fecking last.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we win all three of our next home games and draw at Burnley things will be looking very good indeed.
Winning our 3 home games look a bit beyond us at the moment.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
What's also impressive, correct me if I'm wrong, is that from those 9 away games we haven't gone behind in any of them

Correct. Good shout.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So this 1930/31 record can be looked at two ways:

16 games unbeaten in all competitions. Until we lost at Watford on 26th Jan 1931 in the FA Cup.
16 games unbeaten in the league. Until we lost at Northampton on 31st Jan 1931.

So we can beat the "League" record on Saturday.
We'd need to avoid defeat against MK, Burnley, Birmingham, Charlton, Derby & QPR to beat the record accounting for all competitions.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I received the following email from club historian, Tim Carder...

Yes it does. However, the across-the-summer span makes it a bit awkward. There could therefore be two records: one including more than one season, one confined to one season only.

Therefore we have equalled the first of those and can beat it on Saturday, but (as the record 16 was set entirely within 1930/31 and there's been no better run split between seasons) we can only equal the latter on Saturday.

It is definitely and easily the best unbeaten start to a season ever, but in terms of points, and even discounting scaling up from 2 pts to 3 for a win, we are now behind 2010/11 when we had 34 after 15 games.

So only 3 points behind 2010/11 Season, not too bad seems we are now playing in a division, one tier up, this really does excite me! I think it's incredible!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So in summary:

Avoid defeat against MK Dons and we beat the record for number of league games undefeated.

Also avoid defeat against Burnley and we beat the record for number of league games undefeated over the course of one season, and beat the record for number of undefeated away league games.

Another record we may have in our sights at the end of the season - fewest league defeats. Currently stands at 6. It's still probably a very tall order to expect us to only lose five league games between now and May though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here