Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What strategies do you use to avoid touching public lavatory door handles

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
What's the point in fastidiously washing your hands after using a public lavatory only to go and spoil the good work by then touching the door handle with your bare hands when opening the door to leave. If many of the people before you haven't bothered to wash their hands then you can imagine all the germs and fecal matter that will have accumulated on the door handles. If in a pub you may then sit down to enjoy your pint while delving into a packet of crisps or peanuts with your contaminated fingers and then finishing by licking the salt, grease and strangers' fecal residue from your fingers.

My favourite strategies for avoiding this problem are:

1. If the door handle is the lever type use elbow to push down handle, though this is not possible with a door knob.
2. Use a piece of tissue paper as a barrier.
3. If someone else is in the toilet take that little extra time to dry your hands and wait for them to open the door to leave and swiftly follow on their heels.
4. Loiter by the door and wait patiently for someone to enter and then quickly take advantage of the open door to make your exit.

Am I alone in this OCD behaviour or are there other NSCers who are equally hygiene obsessed?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
None, because I am not stupid. The world is FULL of facaes, on the floor, on the walls, the Earth your food grows in, in the air etc etc. A sensible approach to lived is required, wash your hands after going to the loo is fine, anymore is just a waste of time and effort.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No you are not alone. I also refuse to sit on a toilet seat. Lots of public places i feel the same about.

If that makes me stupid then i'm perfectly happy with that,

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
What's the point in fastidiously washing your hands after using a public lavatory only to go and spoil the good work by then touching the door handle with your bare hands when opening the door to leave. If many of the people before you haven't bothered to wash their hands then you can imagine all the germs and fecal matter that will have accumulated on the door handles. If in a pub you may then sit down to enjoy your pint while delving into a packet of crisps or peanuts with your contaminated fingers and then finishing by licking the salt, grease and strangers' fecal residue from your fingers.

1. If the door handle is the lever type use elbow to push down handle, though this is not possible with a door knob.
3. If someone else is in the toilet take that little extra time to dry your hands and wait for them to open the door to leave and swiftly follow on their heels.
4. Loiter by the door and wait patiently for someone to enter and then quickly take advantage of the open door to make your exit.

Am I alone in this OCD behaviour or are there other NSCers who are equally hygiene obsessed?

Tissues.
When on a train and they have the tiny cubicles where the door goes inwards, and never have any tissue and the sinks don't work (which seems to always be the case) I have used my sleeve in the past.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Paranoia IMHO. Exposure to germs creates resilience and the body is pretty good at fighting these things. Same people who used the toilet door then held the rail on the stairs, other doors, grab rails on public transport etc etc. Unavoidable contact going about our day to day business

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
An observation just from the Amex when I'm queuing to have a wizz.... I'd say 95% of those who have just occupied the cubicles leave the khazi without having washed their hands. Filthy, filthy *******s.

So yes, as others have said, as most men are clearly animals and they're spreading their nasties everywhere anyway, it's just unavoidable.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is there no end to thinking out loud threads on NSC?!! Anyway, back to Sheffield Wed away tonight ;)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Read a survey where some health bods went aroung swabbing everything for germs they found the worst was the rubberish handrail on escalators. lavy door handles came about 5th(frm memory).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not a PH freak to be honest although on occasion I've been known to roll my trouser bottoms up on entering a public toilet.
Only when conditions dictate obviously :shrug:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

All the above.:)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You're going to some lengths to avoid all this shit. So after rushing out on the heels of another patron or wearing johnnies on your fingers to avoid faecalis I imagine you sit down on your shit stained barstool, take a swig from your pint glass which is covered in the barmans shitty fingerprints and leaf through the pubs shitty copy of the Sun? Dear god man...get a grip.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
An observation just from the Amex when I'm queuing to have a wizz.... I'd say 95% of those who have just occupied the cubicles leave the khazi without having washed their hands. Filthy, filthy *******s.

So yes, as others have said, as most men are clearly animals and they're spreading their nasties everywhere anyway, it's just unavoidable.
Perhaps theyve used the cubicle for illegal reasons ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here