Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Chances

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
2012-13 v 2015-16

Ulloa/Barnes v Hemed/Zamora comparable (10 + 9 goals)
Buckley/Lualua v Lualua/March less goal threat (8 + 3 goals)
Mackail-Smith/Hoskins v Baldock comparable (11 + 1 goals)

Lopez/Orlandi v Rosenoir/Murphy comparable ? (9 + 7 goals)
Hammond v Stephens better (2 goals)
Bridcutt v Kayal better (0 goals)
Vicente/Crofts/Dicker v Crofts/Ince/Holla/Forster-Caskey could be comparable (except for 12 games Vicente played) (3 goals)

Bruno/Calderón v Bruno/Calderón comparable if Bruno stays fit
Bridge v Bong comparable (but no cover then and now) (3 goals)

El Abd/Upson v Dunk better
Greer v Greer/Hünemeier comparable ?

Kuszczak v Stockdale nearly as good

Poyet v Hughton to be judged

Opponents: stronger this season for the autos?

Cardiff v Derby better
Hull v Hull same
Palace v Sheff Wed weaker
Watford v Middlesbro comparable
Leicester V Burnley comparable, maybe better

I predicted 6th pre-season with a strong start because the games were easier.
I still did not predict the 8 extra points that Lualua won on his own. (they can't be taken away.)

As is generally agreed, our central midfield is now stronger.
Not sure if our wide play is as strong, probably not
Not sure if our attack is as strong. (after January compared.)
Defence is probably a bit ahead.

2012-13
Brighton 14 5 5 4 18 11 7 20 (Mackail-Smith 5 Barnes 3)

2015-16
Brighton 14 8 6 0 19 11 8 30 (Hemed 4* Stephens 4) (*5-3 if the Stephens free kick is given to Hemed)

Summary: a stronger midfield has given us a stronger platform to attack. But forwards are not clinical enough.
Set pieces haven't been so good but that applies to most clubs this season as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I forgot to include Manu

should be Mackail-Smith/Hoskins v Baldock/Manu not reallycomparable afterall at the start of the season (11 + 1 goals)

I did not bother to include Painter v Chicksen, althought it might be important and I excluded Dobbie as a failure.

I think it is fair for opposing supporters to say we are not the dangerous side in attack that we were a couple of seasons ago, but we make up with being even stronger in midfield, and a better organised defence has not been caught on the break at home this season.

We do not have quite (nearly) a strong squad as some of the opposition who like Derby, Sheff Wed & Burnley have cover at left back.

At this time two seasons ago:

Mackail-Smith 8* (2 pens) Baldock 2 *Correction
Barnes 3 Hemed 4 (or 5)

Buckley 2 Lualua 3 (points won Buckley 1 Lualua 8)
Bridge 2 Defence 0

Midfield 0 Stephens 4 (or 3) Kayal 1

League Table Nov 2012: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2012-2013/table/2012-11-03
Middlesbro had 28 pts and finished 16th. So forgive their fans if they think we can't hack the pace? I thionk we will hack it but the other teams are winning like a steam train and we are now only drawing.

Baldock has got to start finishing his chances off (even to compare to Macca) or else we will have to change Hemed's partner upfront. (I don't know why we take Hemed off?)
We can't have Stephens (best corner taker) taking the corners as he is wanted in the middle of the park.

4-4-2 is not all that it is cracked up to be. Afterall we can only play on one wing at a time. I only think we have been playing it cause it makes sense to draw a winger/midfielder back if we get the lead.

At the beginning of 2012-13 we played the lop-sided 4-3-3 and Macca (faster than Bladock) played off the shoulder of the defender.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Until you replied yourself I thought this was an attempt at a deliberately opaque posting that would get zero response...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
:shrug:
Too long winded and you have too much time on your hands.
Off to bed now, I'll keep dreaming of a win to break the hoo doo, it's got to happen sometime.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Baldock has the better touch and runs in more useful use angles so he makes use of his pace better. But playing off the shoulder of the defender Macca had a fraction extra until he fell over (arguable). Baldock runs into better positions, and has had 38 shots this season, 23 from in the box, 30 with his right foot and 7 with his left, 2 goals, 2 assists.

Baldock is better running deeper and his approach play is better (e.g. v Huddersfield) but his goal record is not as good as Macca in the first half of 2012-13. Then Macca's goals dried up and he missed loads.

If fit, I would tend to play Lualua in the position behind the main striker. 24 shots in half the games, 12 with each foot. 3 goals.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;7136261 said:
Perseus has to be the most bizarre poster on NSC, a kind of wannabe tactical magician with the literacy of HB&B...

He also posts on every other fan forum with his analysis, spreading confusion far and wide.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Baldock has the better touch and runs in more useful use angles so he makes use of his pace better. But playing off the shoulder of the defender Macca had a fraction extra until he fell over (arguable). Baldock runs into better positions, and has had 38 shots this season, 23 from in the box, 30 with his right foot and 7 with his left, 2 goals, 2 assists.

Baldock is better running deeper and his approach play is better (e.g. v Huddersfield) but his goal record is not as good as Macca in the first half of 2012-13. Then Macca's goals dried up and he missed loads.

If fit, I would tend to play Lualua in the position behind the main striker. 24 shots in half the games, 12 with each foot. 3 goals.

CMS was not fast. He looked fast, but that was just his little legs moving quickly, his overall body moved at an average pace.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
This...and could I suggest Balders has a slightly better first touch ? (Or could I suggest Balders actually HAS a first touch ?)

Slightly better?

On numerous occasions this season a lofted pass has been sent over the head of Baldock and he has brought it down perfectly. If he was better at then adjusting his body to finish these chances, he'd have at least another three goals so far this season. A textbook example of a player that does the hard bit.

Send one of those balls through for CMS and he'd shin it out for a goal kick.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Trouser Size

CMS was not fast. He looked fast, but that was just his little legs moving quickly, his overall body moved at an average pace.

Baldock has littler legs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Slightly better?

On numerous occasions this season a lofted pass has been sent over the head of Baldock and he has brought it down perfectly. If he was better at then adjusting his body to finish these chances, he'd have at least another three goals so far this season. A textbook example of a player that does the hard bit.

Send one of those balls through for CMS and he'd shin it out for a goal kick.

:smile: My sarcasm didn't come across in my post. His touch is infinitely better.......

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

The rest of us, and I am sure pretty much every professional footballer alive, is thankful that you'll never have a career in football management. Greer at full back, Lua Lua playing behind a main striker, no doubt David Stockdale would be that striker in your world, thats after you've confused the bollocks off of everyone by going on about how Baldock isn't as quick running onto a ball as CMS, but faster at tracking back than Rohan Ince, or something.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
:smile: My sarcasm didn't come across in my post. His touch is infinitely better.......

Before the CMS injury and after.

I was trying to work out why our team is top of the table? I think our midfield is more incisive, the final ball in the final third of the pitch is just a little better, even if our possession is not quite so good.

It is not any better that putting the ball in the back of the net. We are going for goal more often in the penalty box than before, not punting from long range.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On a player on player analysis to when they last won the Premiership why are Chelsea so low?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The rest of us, and I am sure pretty much every professional footballer alive, is thankful that you'll never have a career in football management. Greer at full back, Lua Lua playing behind a main striker, no doubt David Stockdale would be that striker in your world, thats after you've confused the bollocks off of everyone by going on about how Baldock isn't as quick running onto a ball as CMS, but faster at tracking back than Rohan Ince, or something.

The Lua Lua thing is insane and basically ignores actually watching him play. He's been played through the middle on occasion and it doesn't work even slightly. He looks lost and get shut down. Playing him on the wing with instructions to cut inside and shoot when possible (i.e. how he's being played this season) is by far the better option.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
On a player on player analysis to when they last won the Premiership why are Chelsea so low?

Not low enuff!

Best bet for Sunderland and Newcastle to be below Chelsea.

Opponents playing two banks of four against them I suspect. Then it requires a mistake by the opposing defence or a piece of individual skill to prose the opposing defence open.

Compare
The second tier has always been tricky. Defenders usually competent not to make mistakes and teams without players with the flair to break the opposition down. Passing it around and wait or try and contrive an opening. Getting the ball forward quickly is good as it does not give the opposition time to get organised. But getting the ball forward runs the risk of losing it with being too quick.

I fancy Arsenal this season as they have quick players throughout their team. Even their ordinary passing it around is quick. I think Arsenal we should aspire to, not Chelsea. Hence CH is a better bet than Poyet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here