Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton relishing Harper becoming another option for Albion [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Chris Hughton is looking forward to Jack Harper increasing his attacking options.
The 'Kid From Madrid' could make his first home appearance for the under-21s against West Ham at the Amex tonight (7pm).
It follows Harper's debut as a second half substitute in last Monday's 1-1 draw for Simon Rusk's prospects against leaders West Brom at Tamworth.
Harper, who was at Real Madrid for six years before signing for the Seagulls in the summer, had been under treatment for a knee injury, a legacy of his time in Spain.
Hughton said of the Malaga-born Scot: "I'm delighted to see him back playing. He's been out for a period of time.
"We knew when we signed him in the summer that he came to us injured. But it is really good to see him back playing.
"I've had the opportunity to see him a lot on video but I haven't had too much opportunity to see him much live.
"So I'm really looking forward to that. Of course, it gives us, once he’s up to full speed, another option to look at."
Harper, 19, was awarded a five-year contract by Madrid in 2012.
The 6ft 1ins teenager, who can play through the middle, in the number ten role or out wide, top scored with 25 goals for their Juvenil B side two seasons ago.
Last season he for played for the Juvenil A side in the prestigious UEFA Youth League which shadows the Champions League, with each clubs’ youth teams facing each other around the same time as the senior sides meet.
At Valdedebas, Madrid's training ground, Harper occasionally bumped into superstars like Ronaldo and Gareth Bale.
Speaking earlier this year, he said: "The good thing is we see a lot of the first team walking about Valdedebas in the gym, the pools etc. When I see Gareth Bale we have a quick chat now and again.
"He's a great guy, an inspiration to all British players. He's one of the best players in the world playing for one of the best teams."
Albion are hoping some of the stardust rubs off on Scottish youth international Harper, who is under contract until June 2017.
Hughton said: "The benefit is that he's played at a very good level and he's played with players of a very good calibre.
"I think just to come from that stature of club shows a level and a confidence level and that's what we would like to bring.
"It is about first and foremost getting him fully fit, up to speed, and then assessing him. We still need to learn about him, about the way he plays, his best position, because he is a player who can play perhaps two or three positions.
"At least we've got an opportunity with the first bit, getting him back fit now, getting his first game and hopefully develop him from there."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here