Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traffic Management at Reading (or lack of)

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Couldn't believe the way that people and cars were allowed to get on with it around the Reading ground on Saturday. Groups of people skitting across multiple dual carriageways to get to, and then over, over the M4. God knows what its like for mid week games when the traffic is pouring out of the surrounding trading estates.

I never saw any attempt at traffic management but it appeared to work ok as long as you had eyes in the back of your head and had could shift a bit.

Even at the Goldstone they used to shut the Old Shoreham road for a while after the game. Not sure they could shut the M4 though.:)

Can't be many more dangerous approaches to a stadium than Reading

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Used the recommended away park and ride on the Earley road - bus £3.50 return.No problem getting there before or after. Back in car before 5:30.
I bet you always sat in the front at school as well. I was also back in the car at 5.30 south of the M4, just had to dance around a bit.

JC_RFC

Dec 22, 2011
Couldn't believe the way that people and cars were allowed to get on with it around the Reading ground on Saturday. Groups of people skitting across multiple dual carriageways to get to, and then over, over the M4. God knows what its like for mid week games when the traffic is pouring out of the surrounding trading estates.

I never saw any attempt at traffic management but it appeared to work ok as long as you had eyes in the back of your head and had could shift a bit.

Even at the Goldstone they used to shut the Old Shoreham road for a while after the game. Not sure they could shut the M4 though.:)

Can't be many more dangerous approaches to a stadium than Reading

Here's an idea. Why not use the pedestrian controlled lights which are at regular intervals right up to the M4?

theboybilly

I thought the P&R arrangements were poor at best. The Foster Wheeler site was not much more than a mile from the ground but it took nearly half an hour to get from there to the Madejski. I can put up with that but the return journey was marred by nobody overseeing operations at the pick-up point. Single-deck buses had to mingle with other traffic and my F2 bus wouldn't open it's doors until the #60 bus in front had fully loaded and departed. It was one continuous queue for all buses. Then there was the struggle just to get onto the first roundabout. A total journey time from leving the stadium to reaching my car wasnearly 70 minutes. I could have been at Mill Road and then onto my second pint at my local in Shoreham on a home Saturday afternoon. We really haven't got it at all bad at the Amex.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Here's an idea. Why not use the pedestrian controlled lights which are at regular intervals right up to the M4?

We are not talking about a few people at the lights here, there are thousands of people exiting the stadium all in a hurry to get home for strictly. Whatever you say it is friggin dangerous.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Used the recommended away park and ride on the Earley road - bus £3.50 return.No problem getting there before or after. Back in car before 5:30.

Parked in a factory car park just over the road from ground - was out by 5 even with the slightly late finish

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here