Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving threads moved to the other stuff/archive

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In the spirit of Jezzy Corbyn and new open democracy

Is it possible that the moderators that move the few threads to the other stuff could at least own up and explain their thinking in a quick post with a few words as to why they have done it?

Is there a valid reason why you currently don’t do this anyway?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It's a fair question. I haven't moved many myself, but looking at the current crop of threads there, the overriding theme are threads on immigration, Muslims, etc, that go nowhere, dredge up the same arguments and give a medium for the usual suspects to insult each other. Moving these threads means these binfests can carry on without the prying eyes of Google Ads et al who keep the site running for free.

Not sure, although I'm not necessarily against the idea, there's much point of putting stuff in the 'Moderating Decisions' section, as the reasons for moving are usually patently obvious.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's a fair question. I haven't moved many myself, but looking at the current crop of threads there, the overriding theme are threads on immigration, Muslims, etc, that go nowhere, dredge up the same arguments and give a medium for the usual suspects to insult each other. Moving these threads means these binfests can carry on without the prying eyes of Google Ads et al who keep the site running for free.

Not sure, although I'm not necessarily against the idea, there's much point of putting stuff in the 'Moderating Decisions' section, as the reasons for moving are usually patently obvious.

if people are being abusive move the thread.......i think everyone would agree

take the UK net migration hits record high thread though........moved when it hit page 308......i cant see why it was moved then considering the previous 307 pages........some mod must have had a good reason for moving it at page 308..........it would be good to know why........boredom is not a valid reason

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Given what appears under your name, I do wonder whether you should be moving threads and making judgements about others. It seems strange if you are then moderating other posts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Interesting.

I'd say that I far more often think ' Why HASN'T this thread been moved to The Other Stuff ? ', rather than wonder why a thread has been moved.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But this board isn't a democracy. It's owned by Bozza, and he has put moderators in place as he sees fit.

Looking at the threads moved in there, they are all the same. Tiresome immigration-related rubbish ending up with the same old people hurling insults. If the mods aren't heartily sick of them, everyone else almost certainly is (I suspect).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I can't say that I've been naffed by any mood decision that I can recall. Keep it up I say.

Threads that go nowhere,dredge up the same arguments and give a medium for the usual suspects to insult each other??? That's 95% of nsc tbh.

I think the elephant has to be moved to a different room,expecting travelers thread to end up in nellies room soon.:moo:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just had a quick look. Yeah, it's all the tiresome repetitive nonsense that's been moved. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
take the UK net migration hits record high thread though........moved when it hit page 308......i cant see why it was moved then considering the previous 307 pages........some mod must have had a good reason for moving it at page 308..........it would be good to know why........boredom is not a valid reason

Not necessarily. The mods don't roam around the board reading threads on the off chance they might catch something that needs action. They use the board like everyone else, reading the threads that interest them, and only go into other if a post is reported.

It could have been something on any page that caused them to act and they've only just decided to look over that thread on a whim, or because it was reorted, or because they were checking someone's posting history, etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Threads that go nowhere,dredge up the same arguments and give a medium for the usual suspects to insult each other??? That's 95% of nsc tbh.
A quick perusal of the front page is enough to debunk this myth I think. There are several single subject threads that have been running for years and are contributed to regularly, a few banal threads of low-importance and the rest seem to be current issue threads - some football related and some not.

What there doesn't seem to be are many examples of tiresome duplicate threads full of rehashed whinges and hackneyed opinions descending into abuse.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

I think the elephant has to be moved to a different room,expecting travelers thread to end up in nellies room soon.:moo:

Most of the tiresome bollox are started by you. That's not 95%.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've moved many of the threads.

NSC is a broad church, and if people want to cut and paste articles about migrants and Muslims and stick them here they are welcome to do so. The threads have a relatively small footprint in terms of contributors, and just clog up the main board with vitriol, accusations and arguments that we cannot be bothered to mediate.

Some people also take great delight on these threads in trying to circumnavigate the swear filter, which adds to the tedium.

By putting the threads into The Other Stuff

(a) It reduces the chances of our Google overlords getting the hump, and
(b) Those people who want NSC to be a mini Daily Express front page have their own special area where they can 'debate' something which has been discussed to death.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've moved many of the threads.

NSC is a broad church, and if people want to cut and paste articles about migrants and Muslims and stick them here they are welcome to do so. The threads have a relatively small footprint in terms of contributors, and just clog up the main board with vitriol, accusations and arguments that we cannot be bothered to mediate.

Some people also take great delight on these threads in trying to circumnavigate the swear filter, which adds to the tedium.

By putting the threads into The Other Stuff

(a) It reduces the chances of our Google overlords getting the hump, and
(b) Those people who want NSC to be a mini Daily Express front page have their own special area where they can 'debate' something which has been discussed to death.

Yep. My take exactly.

One point, in answer to the question about how a thread could be hundreds of pages long, and only THEN get moved -

Its osometimes precisely BECAUSE it is long that its been moved. If there is a thread / post reported as offensive I'll take a quick look. If its a single page thread, you can action it easily - delete or edit the offending post, if approriate, and job done. If it's 300 pages long, and the reported post looks to be just one of a number of dubious posts in an ongoing 'debate' then its much easier and safer to just move the whole thread to look at properly, later on.

(If that proper look reveals the entire thread to have run its course into dullards rehashing vitriolic pointless arguments, I'll not bother moving it back)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if people are being abusive move the thread.......i think everyone would agree

Au contraire. Boredom is an EXCELLENT reason !!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Is it possible that the moderators that move the few threads to the other stuff could at least own up and explain their thinking in a quick post with a few words as to why they have done it?

Is there a valid reason why you currently don’t do this anyway?

That would be helpful so NSC members could have a better understanding of what is deemed acceptable or roughly where the line is. It might also help identify people who consistently or deliberately over step the line and some who do it intentionally to get threads moved.

One of the strengths of this forum is having a broader range of topics discussed IMO. Yes many descend into the same old arguments between the same people but are no more repetitive or tedious than many of the Football related threads. Not overly bothered if threads are moved but having a bit more info as to why might be useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here