Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Builders of NSC, open me!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Howdy All, a little while ago I posted a thread about a dodgy builder showing up at my dads house and I got a lot of good advice and support from many on here. Happily, I'm now in a position to get some of the work that needs doing done - so I need to get some folks in for quotes. We need a lot of work in the kitchen and bathroom specifically as well as some roof tiling and re-plastering of a ceiling or two. If anybody on here is involved in these trades, please drop me an IM and we'll arrange a day for you to take a look and provide a quote.

Cheers in advance!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for the responses so far, if anybody else is able to help with any of the above, please IM me.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Make sure you are clear about what you want and what to include in the quote.

I'm sure nobody you get through here will puposely mislead you, but often things like tiles can either be included, excluded or stated at a particular supply price. It's good to make sure you get the quotes on the same basis so that it's easier for you to compare. Finishing materials can vary considerably in both quality and cost and you may wish to have a greater input in their choice.

Glad to hear it seems to be concluding well for you.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just remember, be very wary of any requests for payment in advance. Only ever pay for work that has been completed, and for goods that are on site preferably fixed in position.

In most circumstances a reputable builder will have all their materials on account with the merchants, so any request for a deposit to get them started, or an up front payment should be treated firstly as something you won't agree to, and secondly question whether you wish to proceed with this person / company at all.

You will be expected to pay as works progress, so if half the rendering is done, then it is fair that half the rendering is paid for if requested.

I would also advise you hold back 5% retention on each payment so that at the end of the job you owe 5% of the cost still. This should be held back for a min 3 months after completion so that any defects such as cracks etc. can be repaired. Once they are complete the 5% retention should be paid.

For £20 you can purchase a JCT Home Owner Building Contract that can cover small maintenance projects to larger extension works to a home. It is simply written and will set out all the terms you need between yourself and the builder. In my experience any competent builder will be happy to sign this as it protects them as much as you. It covers things like working hours, insurance, retention as set out above, programme etc.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Just remember, be very wary of any requests for payment in advance. Only ever pay for work that has been completed, and for goods that are on site preferably fixed in position.

In most circumstances a reputable builder will have all their materials on account with the merchants, so any request for a deposit to get them started, or an up front payment should be treated firstly as something you won't agree to, and secondly question whether you wish to proceed with this person / company at all.

You will be expected to pay as works progress, so if half the rendering is done, then it is fair that half the rendering is paid for if requested.

I would also advise you hold back 5% retention on each payment so that at the end of the job you owe 5% of the cost still. This should be held back for a min 3 months after completion so that any defects such as cracks etc. can be repaired. Once they are complete the 5% retention should be paid.

For £20 you can purchase a JCT Home Owner Building Contract that can cover small maintenance projects to larger extension works to a home. It is simply written and will set out all the terms you need between yourself and the builder. In my experience any competent builder will be happy to sign this as it protects them as much as you. It covers things like working hours, insurance, retention as set out above, programme etc.
Had account - trade card with travis perkins for 20 years scott the wont let me have materials with out payment??

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Had account - trade card with travis perkins for 20 years scott the wont let me have materials with out payment??

Really? I thought all building accounts were invoiced at 4 week intervals?! Anyway, I guess the point stands about not paying up front though...I know you didn't ask me for anything until you finished. :thumbsup:

By the way [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], I would have no hesitation about recommending [MENTION=15348]CAPTAIN GREALISH[/MENTION]!

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Really? I thought all building accounts were invoiced at 4 week intervals?! Anyway, I guess the point stands about not paying up front though...I know you didn't ask me for anything until you finished. :thumbsup:

By the way [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], I would have no hesitation about recommending [MENTION=15348]CAPTAIN GREALISH[/MENTION]!
cheers mate

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

pfftt..good luck getting anyone agreeing to all that.

No aspersions cast on Ninja Elephant with this, but too many out there who try the old ' Money's on the way/Just a bit of a hold up/Just need to sell some shares (!)' so we will never proceed on a project without some money upfront.
We expect £200 non-returnable deposit with signed contract upon verbal/written confirmation of job (to ensure clients are committed, not take any designs and idea's to another installer, and to make sure our time ahead is inked in) and that can be 4 months in advance.

Upon start date, we get 30% transferred, with further 30% beginning of tiling, 30% end of tiling, and balance of 10% within 14 days completion, and unless agreed in writing, all sanitaryware/big purchases are paid in advance separately.

A JCT doesnt always cover exactly what you need, but a good start - Overall, recommendations are the way to go; if they happen to belong to an independent trade body, so much the better, but just because someone has a shiny sticker might mean they've just payed for it with little or no checks. The FMB for example..!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Not asking for a deposit for materials is giving the client credit they may or may not be able to pay for. I don't know of one contractor who wouldn't ask for a deposit for working on someones home.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
pfftt..good luck getting anyone agreeing to all that.

No aspersions cast on Ninja Elephant with this, but too many out there who try the old ' Money's on the way/Just a bit of a hold up/Just need to sell some shares (!)' so we will never proceed on a project without some money upfront.
We expect £200 non-returnable deposit with signed contract upon verbal/written confirmation of job (to ensure clients are committed, not take any designs and idea's to another installer, and to make sure our time ahead is inked in) and that can be 4 months in advance.

Upon start date, we get 30% transferred, with further 30% beginning of tiling, 30% end of tiling, and balance of 10% within 14 days completion, and unless agreed in writing, all sanitaryware/big purchases are paid in advance separately.

A JCT doesnt always cover exactly what you need, but a good start - Overall, recommendations are the way to go; if they happen to belong to an independent trade body, so much the better, but just because someone has a shiny sticker might mean they've just payed for it with little or no checks. The FMB for example..!

I haven't had many projects that haven't proceeded to the terms stated above - pretty standard practice. It sounds like you're describing a specific bathroom or kitchen install / supply role? Which is perhaps slightly different to engaging a general builder for a variety of works.

Even so, I'd need to know you were a pretty big firm before I handed over £200, and 30% up front.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not asking for a deposit for materials is giving the client credit they may or may not be able to pay for. I don't know of one contractor who wouldn't ask for a deposit for working on someones home.

I'm not saying they do the whole job without being paid, they could put their first invoice in after 2 weeks work, but I'd only advise the client they pay for those 2 weeks work. The contractor would know pretty quickly that the client is honouring their payments, and can then regularly invoice as works progress. Contractor is therefore not that exposed: they're the ones providing the service afterall.

Contractors go under all the time, even really reputable reliable ones through no fault of their own can go under quickly with a couple of bad creditors. If a builder finds enough customers willing to pay up front deposits, then great for them, a much better business model - just wouldn't be something I'd advise.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Second a recommendation for [MENTION=15348]CAPTAIN GREALISH[/MENTION]. Steve has done a fair bit of work at Chez Moore always to a high standard,

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another thing to consider is that the CDM regulations now apply to residential clients, so you need to check your obligations in that regard. Someone has to take on the responsibility of "Principal Designer" and "Principal Contractor" as a minimum. If you don't appoint anyone, it becomes your responsibility by default.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Another thing to consider is that the CDM regulations now apply to residential clients, so you need to check your obligations in that regard. Someone has to take on the responsibility of "Principal Designer" and "Principal Contractor" as a minimum. If you don't appoint anyone, it becomes your responsibility by default.

Very good point. Job has to involve more than 1 contractor, i.e. as soon as a builder gets a subcontractor in, that is classed as 2 contractors and the regulations apply.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/cdm/2015/index.htm

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Wrong Direction and I now get a payment once all materials are on site and checked for damage. We have only just started doing this :ohmy:
After that I do not put a bill in until the job is finished and ok'd by the customer.
So I can wait for two/three weeks before we get paid for our labour.
It must work as I have been self-employed for forty years.
Still not made LOADS of money yet and probably never will :moo:

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Select Builders Peacehaven..Family run, hard workers,Very sensible prices..always reliable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here