Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Andy Hill - Shoreham Air disaster pilot still not interviewed

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Watching tonight's episode of Britain's Ultimate Pilots prompted me to see what had happened to Andy Hill, the pilot involved in the Shoreham Airshow disaster.

First I learned, from a month ago, that he was out of hospital and possibly as long as 7 weeks ago: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...go-emerges-police-not-spoken-fatal-crash.html

Then that even as recently as last week, it seems he still has not been interviewed by police: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/61...and-to-know-why-police-have-yet-to-quiz-pilot

All seems quite bizarre that some form of discussions have not taken place yet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it is because he was put into an induced coma following the accident, which will have affected his memory.

The pilots union have closed ranks, they claim the physical injuries have healed but the mental ones have not.

Bugger the relatives.

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
I suspect perhaps his solicitor(s) or shoreham airport's may have been doing as much as possible to delay/obstruct.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Blimey, this was mentioned on the news and the radio about 17 times in the hour and a half that I watched / listened on Monday.

Also they kept stating "the relatives are angry " but all the ones they interviewed just said "not much they can do if he's not up to being interviewed."

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I do wonder if the 'old boys' network have somewhat closed ranks and have advised him to delay commenting for as long as possible, and no doubt he is still affected (I will not use the BS term traumatised) by what has happened. But the investigating agencies have a DUTY to get as many answers as possible for the victims families as soon as is possible.

Let's be honest about this, the man is no doubt racked with guilt, fear, doubt, sadness and possibly has suicidal thoughts, he is only human after all. Perhaps Sussex Police should declare athat he will not be prosecuted as it will serve no purpose whatsoever and that may bring the chance of an interview to the fore. Either way, the relatives deserve to know the truth as soon as is possible.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My dad, a retired RAF engineer who has worked for many years on that very aircraft (the Hawker Hunter), took one look at the footage and said (in his opinion) the pilot screwed up. Started the loop way too low for the conditions - no clouds, clear and warm conditions = less air traction for the aircraft to pull up. Not unlike a cricket ball - cloud cover and cooler conditions means thicker air and more traction for swing, and the same principles apply. On that day there was no cloud at all, warm clear conditions, and so thinner air - pilots are supposed to allow for that. Its an OPINION, not fact of course, but from the footage, that aircraft was pulling up (ie no engine failure), but way too late. A catastrophic misjudgement, cutting the margins too fine.

Quite apart from the fact that performing a loop-the-loop along the path of a major dual carriageway does not seem to be the most sensible of manoeuvres. His testimony will be interesting.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not sure it is a good idea to discuss this on NSC where the deceased are known, by posters. I'm sure there will be a thorough investigation in time, and anything else is speculation.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Princess Dianas bodyguard is STILL suffering from memory loss all these years later.???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He has been through a massively traumatic event, just come out of a coma, and possibly has memory issues. Not really a surprise it's taking a while to get to the truth.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Have the police stated if he is accused of committing a criminal offence? If not they will be limited in their scope to officially interview him without arresting him and will be reliant on him agreeing to be voluntarily interviewed. If he has good legal advisors which I am sure he has then they will almost certainly be doing their job correctly in ensuring he is absolutely fit to be interviewed before that happens. No-one on here has any intimate professional knowledge of his condition or the effect on him of the trauma of being thrown from a crashing aircraft so I think its a bit foolish for anyone to speculate on his fitness to be spoken to. I don't suspect the police are planning to arrest him at this stage so they are very much reliant on waiting for his legal team saying when they feel he is fit to be interviewed.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Despite knowing f*ck all about medicine or aircraft accident investigation, I feel the need to offer some half-arsed opinion about this subject. :facepalm:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If he's not adequately insured does the compensation issue then revert back to the Airshow organisers?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Out of interest, the police might not have spoken to him as it could be that it is not their responsibility to do so. The Air Accident Investigation Branch are the ones investigating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here