Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top after 14 games

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
14 games gone, end of third month, the cream is starting to float upwards, so how does being top at this stage pan out for season end?

In the last fifteen seasons set out below. EIGHT teams who were top after 14 games achieved auto promo (4 champions, 4 2nd); THREE finished in PO spot (none succesful); TWO were close to PO; and TWO completely bombed (Watford in 00/01 and Cardiff in 06/07 got only a point per game after a great start, which is relegation form).

So based on an admittedly statistically insignificant sample of 15, Albion have a 53% chance of promotion, but with a significant downside. There is no significant correlation between the points gained at this stage and outcomes, although four of the eight who achieved auto promo had more than 30 points, two had 30, and two less.

The median points achieved in last 32 games is 57, which would result in 87 points. This is about the average achieved for 2nd place teams, and should be enough.

The worry for Albion is that the pack are closing, and the lack of goals is a worry. Our goal difference is the smallest of any top team after 14 games in last 16 seasons. Anything possible but recent form and forthcoming fixtures suggest top two is optimistic.

Capture.JPG

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How many of those teams were unbeaten after 14?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We are being reeled in and that's a fact. The Tuesday games will prove very interesting. If we can keep top spot It will be a big achievement.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Has a team ever been top after 14 games but not won a game by more than a goal? I doubt it, BHA setting more records :smile:

el punal

We are being reeled in and that's a fact. The Tuesday games will prove very interesting. If we can keep top spot It will be a big achievement.

Yes, but we've been reeled in all season, and yet, no one has managed to catch us. Over the last few weeks second place has been like musical chairs with Middlesbrough, Hull, Reading, Birmingham and Burnley taking the number two slot. All of them trying but not succeeding in knocking us off the top.

The remarkable thing about us heading the table is we are there without really achieving top gear. It says an awful lot about our character and resilience, and, Chris Hughton's management skills.

Like the Reading match, Tuesday's game against Sheffield Wednesday will be another test of our resolve. Come through that and the doubters maybe will acknowledge that we can be the real deal.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Read some of the other boards. No one expects us to last the course and almost universally the opinion is that we will finish outside the play offs. Id really love to go to Wednesday and spank them. Even then we'd be in a false position.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, but we've been reeled in all season, and yet, no one has managed to catch us. Over the last few weeks second place has been like musical chairs with Middlesbrough, Hull, Reading, Birmingham and Burnley taking the number two slot. All of them trying but not succeeding in knocking us off the top.

The remarkable thing about us heading the table is we are there without really achieving top gear. It says an awful lot about our character and resilience, and, Chris Hughton's management skills.

Like the Reading match, Tuesday's game against Sheffield Wednesday will be another test of our resolve. Come through that and the doubters maybe will acknowledge that we can be the real deal.

This is what I was going to say. We only had a 1 point lead over Midds before the Leeds game, but it was a completely different picture 2 wins later. A run of 2-3 good results makes a massive dffierence, and I'm confident that we can string a few together providing we don't suffer too many more injuries or suspensions.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Read some of the other boards. No one expects us to last the course and almost universally the opinion is that we will finish outside the play offs. Id really love to go to Wednesday and spank them. Even then we'd be in a false position.

Win against Wednesday and I will finally believe that we can win this division.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, probably frantically pointing to their 442 league predicton article, and crying that it's not fair :lolol:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Uninformed comment. We have played 4 of top 10 (Hull, Fulham. Reading, Cardiff). Of the top 6, Brum, Burnley and Derby have also played 4, and Hull and Boro played 5. So little difference, which shows a) that there are a lot of intersting games coming up; b) what is important is current form

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It's November and to find The Albion one has to start at the top of the league and work down, stopping very quickly. We are the number one, top of the league, the one the others are chasing. Can we run faster than them? I hope so with a bit of luck and a few more goals. Live the dream.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This division is very unusual however and past statistics irrelevant.
Probably never again will teams as strong as those 2nd to 5th be all 2 points per game.
Derby are 5th despite only losing a single game
If we lose our next/only game we COULD ourselves be down to 5th in less than 60 hours.
Don't have nightmares

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
J
This division is very unusual however and past statistics irrelevant.
Probably never again will teams as strong as those 2nd to 5th be all 2 points per game.
Derby are 5th despite only losing a single game
If we lose our next/only game we COULD ourselves be down to 5th in less than 60 hours.
Don't have nightmares

Which is why I love this division. The bottom team can and often does hold or beat the top team. It is so unpredictable and that is what makes it so good. The standard of football is pretty good too. I pay to be entertained so no complaints from me this season. I'll be gutted if we fall away but come next season we can do it all again..should we fail to go up.

Last season was awful but I have enjoyed all the others.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here