Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desperate need of a goal scorer

Dec 29, 2011
Easier said than done - by far the hardest position to secure.

We got incredibly lucky with Ulloa - realistically, if we want to get a proven striker at this level we'd need to spend £5m+, probably more - Consider some of the best strikers in the league, Jordan Rhodes cost £8m, Andre Gray £6m, Austin was recently valued at £10m.

Do we have that kind of cash? Would we take the gamble? I think Hemed was a good value signing, a well researched gamble, a decent player - but he's not going to be another Ulloa unfortunately.

Haven't seen Hemed play much but apparently he's good. Perhaps he's a hold up man and he'll set up goals with a decent strike partner?

Feb 14, 2010
Someone on NSC said the defence will stop you getting relegated by the strikers will get you promoted. I thought that was an interesting observation. Understand Hemed played well but again neither of the front two strikers put the ball in the net. Need Lua Lua back.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Haven't seen Hemed play much but apparently he's good. Perhaps he's a hold up man and he'll set up goals with a decent strike partner?

I read elsewhere today that Hemed was scoring when LuaLua was playing. They seemed to be on the same wavelength.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Someone on NSC said the defence will stop you getting relegated by the strikers will get you promoted. I thought that was an interesting observation. Understand Hemed played well but again neither of the front two strikers put the ball in the net. Need Lua Lua back.

Alex Ferguson used to say strikers win you matches, defenders win you leagues.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

We got incredibly lucky with Ulloa - realistically, if we want to get a proven striker at this level we'd need to spend £5m+, probably more - Consider some of the best strikers in the league, Jordan Rhodes cost £8m, Andre Gray £6m, Austin was recently valued at £10m.

Do we have that kind of cash? Would we take the gamble? I think Hemed was a good value signing, a well researched gamble, a decent player - but he's not going to be another Ulloa unfortunately.

You don't have to spend 5 million plus. I wouldn't say we got lucky either with Ulloa. We wasted 3.5 million on CMS and perhaps we were due a good signing.

Jonathan Kodjia, Chris Wood, Callum Wilson,joe mason etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I heard someone say that Lua Lua only scores if he's on the pitch. Probably just an Internet rumour though.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
What chances are these that we created today? We didn't create much in the final third today but it's a pleasing result in the end

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Reading commentators raved about Hemed today. Said he caused all sorts of problems to their defence, along with Dunk, he was our most impressive player in their opinion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

According to Andy Naylor the bid for Callieri is about £6.5 million. Given that we've rejected £5m plus for Dunk expect the purse strings could be loosened in January IF we are still in contention.

Uncle Tony is a canny operator.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Blackman (Reading) available for a free at the end of the season. January bid perhaps?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about a cheeky bid for Igor Vetokele of Charlton very impressive against us last season in and out this. I think that he is better prospect than Kodja at Bristol City.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
According to Andy Naylor the bid for Callieri is about £6.5 million. Given that we've rejected £5m plus for Dunk expect the purse strings could be loosened in January IF we are still in contention.

Uncle Tony is a canny operator.

We're still top with 10 games until January. A tough run of fixtures may mean that we're not in the top 2 when the window opens, but there's no way that we'll not be in contention with 22 games left to go.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes Tony and Chris make a good pairing. Just what we need.

Chris is ultra cautious and Tony prepared to gamble, complement each other well.

I've read some intriguing quotes attributed to Hughton

"It's harder to manage up than manage down" suggesting that dealing with a board of directors is trickier than the dressing room, and

"I'd rather lose 1-0 than 3-1" which ties in with his cautious team setup.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What about a cheeky bid for Igor Vetokele of Charlton very impressive against us last season in and out this. I think that he is better prospect than Kodja at Bristol City.

He was good in the home fixture; however, given his scoring record since, it seems that that was a flash in the pan.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think we have a desperate need for anything at all.
We have failed to score in just 2 games, unbeaten and top of the league. Pretty incredible stuff in comparison to last year.

I would like to see how far this group of players can get, before we look to throw money at a solution we don't yet need.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

We should have supplemented with Vydra as many said at the time. Would have been fantastic value

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here