Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huenemeier ready to lock horns with ex-Bundesliga rivals [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion's German rock Uwe Huenemeier says they are ready to deal with Reading’s own slice of the Bundesliga.
Today’s clash at the Madejski Stadium brings Huenemeier face-to-face again with two players he knows well from his time in his homeland with Paderborn.
Danny Williams, pictured, Reading’s American international midfielder, began his career in Germany with Karlsruher, Freiburg and Hoffenheim.
Versatile Brazilian team-mate Lucas Piazon, borrowed from Chelsea, spent last season on loan to Frankfurt.
Huenemeier, who played against them both in the Bundesliga, has warned about the threat they pose to Albion’s 13-game undefeated start in the Championship.
He told The Argus: “Danny Williams is really aggressive in the centre of midfield but he also has good technique.
“Lucas Piazon is a really good taker of set pieces, has a really strong right foot. He scored an incredible free-kick in Germany for Frankfurt, so we have to be aware of them, but it’s the whole team.
“They have done very well so far but we are ready for that.”
Piazon, who opened the scoring before Reading crumbled to a 4-2 defeat at Fulham last Saturday, has an alleged sexual assault in Canada in the summer hanging over him.
An arrest warrant has been issued for the 21-year-old forward and Brazilian colleague, goalkeeper Andrey da Silva Ventura, in connection with the alleged incident with a woman in a Toronto nightclub during the Pan-Am Games in July on the same day that Piazon scored against Panama to help his country to the bronze medal.
Huenemeier, meanwhile, has settled in well to English football since his summer move from unfashionable Paderborn, who he captained to promotion to the Bundesliga for the first time in their history.
The centre-half, 29, said: “Nothing has really surprised me. I know it’s a really tough league, really physical and really high tempo in the matches.
“I am feeling more adapted to it and confident in myself. I want to do a job here and I’m ready for that. From the first game it was okay but I want to improve myself.
“The game is faster, of course, and more intensive. You have to work harder, for the first ball, for the second ball, the team.
“It’s a lot more of a transition game but I’m feeling really good right now and hopefully it’s getting better and better to improve myself and help the team to get better and to win games, that’s the most important thing.”
Huenemeier is set to partner Lewis Dunk again today, with skipper Gordon Greer still a major doubt due to a knee injury sustained two-and-a-half games ago at Leeds.
Dunk took over from Huenemeier in the match before at home to Cardiff in the fight for a spot at the heart of the defence.
“It was a new situation for me,” Huenemeier said. “It wasn’t me losing my position, because I know there are a lot of matches this season and I know nobody will play all forty-six.
“They (Greer and Dunk) did well in the match against Cardiff, that is no problem for me. In the next match Gordon got injured so it was then my time again and I have to prove myself.”
Huenemeier shrugged off a cut to the head in the first half, requiring stitches, to help Albion to a clean sheet in last Saturday’s 0-0 draw against Preston at the Amex.
That maintained Albion’s proud record as the only undefeated team in the country.
Huenemeier said: “It’s not a big theme in the dressing room that we are the only team that is unbeaten but, of course, you get more self-confident and you know we are a good team and have a good squad working together. wThat’s important. Everybody feels that around here and at the club.
“Now we are ready for Reading. It will be a tough match for us, we know that. They are a good side but we are prepared for that.
“In Germany we say the next game is the toughest one. For us it’s Reading. Of course they are a really good, attacking side but we are a good side as well and we have played really well so far defensively and offensively.”

The ultimate goal for Huenemeier is a promotion double. He made it to the top flight in Germany with Paderborn, now can he do the same with Albion as they try to cope with a mounting injury list which includes Gaetan Bong and Dale Stephens (both thigh) and Kazenga LuaLua (groin) as well as Greer?Huenemeier said: “We know there are a lot of tough matches ahead of us, against a lot of teams in the league who are near the top with us. Hopefully we can play like in the first matches, that is our task for the next few games.
“It is important to have a good mentality in the team. It’s the same as two years ago with my former team. Everybody works for the same aim and that is really important.
“We have a good squad and also a competitive one, we now need some other players because we have injuries.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here