British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Russian airliner comes down. Over 200 people on board

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Bloody hell. My family is flying back from there this evening.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Bloody hell. My family is flying back from there this evening.

I know the feeling , we came back from sharm just over a week ago . Very sad news , I hope it wasn't something sinister .

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I know the feeling , we came back from sharm just over a week ago . Very sad news , I hope it wasn't something sinister .

You didn't bump into any Ukrainian tourists - with outsize golf-bags..

Seriously this could be awkward, it was an Airbus not a Russian plane. Thankfully not over Israeli airspace, I suspect they avoid that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
In what way?

A lot of Airbuses are up there, if it was mechanical they would probably have to be grounded. In the past Russian planes had a far worse record for failures. Then that would be a matter for Russian investigators, presumably they would have no problems accessing the wreckage for clues.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A lot of Airbuses are up there, if it was mechanical they would probably have to be grounded. In the past Russian planes had a far worse record for failures. Then that would be a matter for Russian investigators, presumably they would have no problems accessing the wreckage for clues.

I understand. Thanks.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
FWIW

ISIS claiming responsibility but whether or not they would have had weapons to down an airliner at 31000 feet remains a question ?
The Russian connection however remains questionable given their activity in Syria.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
FWIW

ISIS claiming responsibility but whether or not they would have had weapons to down an airliner at 31000 feet remains a question ?
The Russian connection however remains questionable given their activity in Syria.
It is always a possibility that this was a terrorist reprisal for the russian bombing campaign, but surely a bomb on board rather than a missile. So not surprising ISIS are claiming responsibility.

But, really, it is most likely mechanical failure, surely.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is always a possibility that this was a terrorist reprisal for the russian bombing campaign, but surely a bomb on board rather than a missile. So not surprising ISIS are claiming responsibility.

given one of the major criticisms of the Russian engagement in Syria is that they focus on groups that are of imminent threat to Assad, not ISIL forces, it would seem rather poor strategy to piss off the Russian bear.

Dec 29, 2011
When I heard about this story I felt a sad sense of irony and almost apathy considering after the Russians "allegedly" shot down MH17

You're a sick **** then. No civilians should die because of what their government apparently did. I don't feel apathy towards American hostages in Iraq because of their governments foreign policy, I see them as a human being away from their family in a terrible situation - this is no different.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's Sharm El Sheikh crossed off the holiday list, along with Tunisia, Greek Islands, Turkey, Cyprus, Malta.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
That's Sharm El Sheikh crossed off the holiday list, along with Tunisia, Greek Islands, Turkey, Cyprus, Malta.

Why Malta? Went to Malta in September and it was fine, except for all the roadworks and building and our hotel not being finished!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It is starting to look like aircraft maintenance issues are the most likely cause of the crash if various reports about engine problems on the aircraft that crashed over the last couple of weeks are to be believed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here