Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School dinners. What are your memories?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
At primary school I liked them but hated cabbage so much. Mrs Potter,the school meals lady,used to make me sit there all lunch time staring at the plate until I ate it. In the end I used to put it in a hankie and throw it in the bushes in the playground.
At senior school I loved virtually everything especially, hotpot ,milk jelly with a biscuit,cornflake tart, and any roast.
I remember one boy went to hospital in the afternoon when weeing and passing blood. The blood turned out to be the fact that he ate loads of beetroot lunchtime.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Spam fritters, with double their weight in grease, accompanied with watery mash served up from an ice-cream scoop. I used to love the puddings, always seemed to be lots of variety in different colored custards throughout the week.
Luckily for me my Auntie was a dinner lady so I got off lightly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Semolina pudding with rosehip syrup. Or, as I liked to think of it wallpaper glue with sugar flavoured red sick.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Prunes in custard. Including the vile juice/syrup or whatever the hell it was from the tinned prunes. :sick:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Worst ,Spanish Meatball and White Cabbage would fake illness just not to eat it. Best Butterscotch Tart and Custard.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Tapioca. It makes me shudder even now. Frogspawn. It was called frogspawn. Never found out if that is what it really was.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Prunes in custard. Including the vile juice/syrup or whatever the hell it was from the tinned prunes. :sick:

To be fair thats probably why there were so few fat kids in the playground. The prunes in syrup kept us all regular, and kept the caretaker busy with his mop and bucket.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I remembered mostly enjoying them at primary school. I remember the greasy spam fritters mentioned above always gave me headaches. The cabbage was boiled beyond recogition, but other than that they were nice. I remember one time when they ran out of everything except chips and beans, they just gave us fried eggs. I don't know if school cooks have that freedom to adapt anymore or if they have menus of processed foods they to which they have to stick. I loved semolina. Not had it since.

I mostly had packed lunches at secondary school, though would occasionally go to 'the window' at Falmer for a portion of chips. That window was always a scramble.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Butterscotch tart for me - lovely!

Used to like the cheese and onion flan too, until some wag identified it as gorilla snot pie. Never touched it after that................

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Cheese pie and beetroot and Bread and dripping are the ones that I remember from 50 years ago !!! Quite liked both.

I spent a small part of my early working life as a canteen assistant in a school kitchen. One of the most horrific parts of the job was dealing with the massive quantities of left-over puddings, just to get the bowls into a state where they could begin to be washed up. If you think a bowl of semolina looks disgusting, you should deal with a bucketfull.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Long long time ago sitting at trestle tables at the end of the main course a number of us scraped our leftovers onto one plate and left it in front of my mate. Teacher came by and told him he was not leaving until he'd eaten all his meal. To my shame we left him to it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I also remember in primary school, there were buckets we were supposed to scrape our leftovers into, and supposedly, these buckets of food were sent to farms to feed pigs. It's only now that I wonder if that was like telling your child the dog is going to live on a farm...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here