Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Instead of calleri..?

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
Would you rather the club spend the reported £6-10m on calleri or go for someone else?

Personally I'd break the bank and go for Jordan Rhodes - proven scorer and what we are crying out for!

Who would you prefer?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I said exactly this on a thread last week.

If Calleri is not to happen then we should go large after Jordan Rhodes. Lets face it Blackburn are not going to be bothering the promotion places anytime soon and if we get to January still in with a shout I can see him being interested. Rovers may have no choice but to sell and I believe they still have money issues.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
If we were will to gamble and pay 6.5 mill on calleri I would rather a more certain 10 mill on rhodes, to tempt them a further 8 mill if we get promoted this year, or if the year after 5 mill the year after. That should be enough to to tempt them.

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
Kodjia would be alright, needs lots of chances though to score goals.
Gary Hooper, very inconsistent but on his day would appear ludicrous not to sign him if the move is possible.
And Jordan Rhodes...something informs me, a gut feeling perhaps that he would just not fit in if we managed to somehow sign him, like we would play him on the wing or he would sustain a career-affecting injury or something. But once again, a premier-league poacher and in an adept team would probably take them up with his goalscoring ability with aplomb.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It appears we tried to sneak in and sign Calleri at the end of the window which didn't work out, now Arsenal and Chelsea are reported to be interested so this one maybe beyond us now. Calleri is only young and very talented a couple of decent seasons with us and he would be worth £15-20m. Rhodes on the other hand would not have any sell on value if purchased at £15m so I very much doubt TB would have any interest in signing him.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think with Rhodes it would not just be the fee but meeting/increasing his wages. These are words from comments on a local paper

'And thinking about it, Rovers have probably dished out another 10 grand at least a week on top of his 40 K per week to keep him'.

If he is on £50k a week or anywhere near that there is no way he will be joining us.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's not just the transfer fee, though, is it? The combination of transfer fee, wages, and sell on potential is much more favourable for someone like Calleri than for someone like Rhodes.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
One has to wonder why a Premiership club hasn't gone in for Rhodes so far. I rate him as the best striker outside the Premiership.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Seriously unimpressed with Rhodes. Great goal scoring record,but his all round game is lacking. Would be like the return of Darren Bent.

On the other hand QPR have a decent striker with 6 months left on his contract. Given the choice I know which one I would pick.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It appears we tried to sneak in and sign Calleri at the end of the window which didn't work out, now Arsenal and Chelsea are reported to be interested so this one maybe beyond us now. Calleri is only young and very talented a couple of decent seasons with us and he would be worth £15-20m. Rhodes on the other hand would not have any sell on value if purchased at £15m so I very much doubt TB would have any interest in signing him.

All about the resale value here, Rhodes has none and Calleri has tonnes.

It's not just the transfer fee, though, is it? The combination of transfer fee, wages, and sell on potential is much more favourable for someone like Calleri than for someone like Rhodes.

Seriously unimpressed with Rhodes. Great goal scoring record,but his all round game is lacking. Would be like the return of Darren Bent.

On the other hand QPR have a decent striker with 6 months left on his contract. Given the choice I know which one I would pick.

Interesting dilemma with Chaz, little resale value given age and supposed injury concerns. But scores well and works exceptionally well of Zamo.

Again I feel that we will strengthen considerably but more likely a young foreign import than JR or CA.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think I read on that Argentinian twitter feed that Boca had a certain amount of time to respond to our offer, and think today is the last day.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Seriously unimpressed with Rhodes. Great goal scoring record,but his all round game is lacking.

One thing missing from this club over the last 18 months is a 'great goal scoring record', it is the thing that could turn us from promotion hopefuls to promotion favourites. All round game I could not care less about right now, Rhodes himself, meh!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here