Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee's locked inside stadium

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"A referee was locked in the Trabzonspor stadium for several hours after making a controversial late penalty decision.

Cagatay Sahan and his assistants were held on the orders of club president Ibrahim Haciosmanoglu after failing to award the hosts a late spot-kick in their 2-2 draw with Gaziantepspor.

Haciosmanoglu claims he only allowed the officials to leave after a call from president Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The Turkish Football Federation has launched an investigation.

An angry mob of fans had also gathered at the stadium after Sahan's decision."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34670639

:lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I remember reading that it was a tradition at Trabzonspor to sacrifice a live goat on the pitch. The players were required to dip their boots in the fresh blood before kick-off.

No wonder the ref locked himself in!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
About 10 years ago I went to Galatasaray v Fenebahce, the Fenebahce fans were locked in for three hours after the match, I was later informed this was only because it was a draw (2-2) if there had been a result it would have been nearer six hours!

They totally hate each other !

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I'm probably the one missing something here. Were the referee and his assistants locked in the stadium as protection from the fans who were gathered outside the stadium or were they being "punished" by the home side for making the wrong call in a drawn match?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm probably the one missing something here. Were the referee and his assistants locked in the stadium as protection from the fans who were gathered outside the stadium or were they being "punished" by the home side for making the wrong call in a drawn match?

Punished because he made the wrong call, the club's president ordered it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here