Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you rather... (Next 2 games)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Reading & Sheff Weds :)lol:) away and a bizaare thought had just come into my head:

If you were offered the 2 following scenarios (hypothetically speaking of course) would you rather:

Option A - 1 win and 1 defeat - 3 points and undefeated run gone. Also offering one of our promotion rivals 3 points too (yes I am including Sheff Weds :lol: as a promo rival..

Option B - 2 draws - yes we'd only get 2 points but we'd still have the unbeaten run going & wouldn't have given a promo rival away 2 extra points.

Ordinarily I'd always bag the extra point and would find it hard to believe anyone would consider otherwise HOWEVER in this situation id rather take the 2 draws. Purely because I think the unbeaten record is playing a big part in our success now and player confidence... I don't think it should be underestimated.

So am I mad or do people agree with me..?

PS - Sheffield Wednesday :lol:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I see where you're coming from, and I had to consider it, but I will take the two wins please. I mean, the single win. A loss might take the pressure off a little, in an attempt to try and put a positive on it.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Disagree. Games won it is what it is all about not games unbeaten; look at the table at the moment and there is nearly a perfect alignment of games won and position; only Derby, Brentford and MK Dons are out of alignment. Look also at last season, same pattern with just the odd win anomaly.

You are not mad; there is a case near end of season or in small groups like World Cup where 2 Ds is better than 1W and 1L but not in a large League in October.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Disagree. Games won it is what it is all about not games unbeaten; look at the table at the moment and there is nearly a perfect alignment of games won and position; only Derby, Brentford and MK Dons are out of alignment. Look also at last season, same pattern with just the odd win anomaly.

You are not mad; there is a case near end of season or in small groups like World Cup where 2 Ds is better than 1W and 1L but not in a large League in October.

I'm not disputing that at all and I see your point. I wasn't really looking at the restricting the points of the opposition thing when I first thought about this - it was all about the unbeaten run remaining.. I just think the longer the unbeaten tag goes on the better - and it may help future results. I could well be putting too much emphasis on the importance of the unbeaten run thing of course.... Who knows....

Jimmy Grimble

3 points but only if the win is at Wednesday, because that'll tell us a lot about the team (i.e. capable of quickly bouncing back from defeat against good opposition).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'd take the win at Wednesday to put that hoodoo to bed, & as someone pointed out, it would be a bounce back after a defeat.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Reading & Sheff Weds :)lol:) away and a bizaare thought had just come into my head:

If you were offered the 2 following scenarios (hypothetically speaking of course) would you rather:

Option A - 1 win and 1 defeat - 3 points and undefeated run gone. Also offering one of our promotion rivals 3 points too (yes I am including Sheff Weds :lol: as a promo rival..

Option B - 2 draws - yes we'd only get 2 points but we'd still have the unbeaten run going & wouldn't have given a promo rival away 2 extra points.

Ordinarily I'd always bag the extra point and would find it hard to believe anyone would consider otherwise HOWEVER in this situation id rather take the 2 draws. Purely because I think the unbeaten record is playing a big part in our success now and player confidence... I don't think it should be underestimated.

Had this very same discussion with my brother on Saturday after the game Sheebo. He said it's all about the points. I tried my best to argue that two draws and maintaining the unbeaten run would be just as good.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Had this very same discussion with my brother on Saturday after the game Sheebo. He said it's all about the points. I tried my best to argue that two draws and maintaining the unbeaten run would be just as good.

It's a difficult one isn't it... I don't think there's a right answer - or maybe there will be in a month or 2 or even at the season end! Although it's all hypothetical obviously - whatever will be will be :) Seeeeeeagulls!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Nope as I say, all about points on the board.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
3 points is better than 2 points so win v Reading (as they're more likely to be there or thereabouts in May) & loss v SW

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I nearly wrote the same thing. Two draws might be of more use (given who we are playing) than a win and a loss, especially away from home....that said I'd rather we won both!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Nope as I say, all about points on the board.

This. Forget the vanity of the 'unbeaten run'. Come the end of the season nobody is going to care about our unbeaten run but an extra point could mean the difference between going up or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here