Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time Europe to Govern World Football.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Concacaf and Conmebol should merge. It's ridiculous that the USA and Mexico are effectively guaranteed a place at every World Cup.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If Brazil and Germany walked away from FIFA and formed a new conference, with a new World Cup, many, many more countries would follow. If England, Italy and Argentina joined them, FIFA would become irrelevant.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Concacaf and Conmebol should merge. It's ridiculous that the USA and Mexico are effectively guaranteed a place at every World Cup.

though merging would practically rule them out from ever qualifying, would that be positive thing?

cant see whats wrong with 4 countries from South America though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
though merging would practically rule them out from ever qualifying, would that be positive thing?

There are 10 members of Conmebol and 40% (sometimes 50%) of them qualify for a world cup. Uefa has 54 members and 13 qualify, that's 24% of teams. Africa has 56 teams and only 5 qualify, Asia have 4 (possibly 5) from 47 members, Oceania gets one qualifier from 11 members and North America gets 3 plus one qualifier from 41. Goes without saying that Uefa and Conmebol have the strongest teams but surely South America should lose one spot to either Asia, Africa or Oceania (I would suggest Africa as they are probably the stronger of those three).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are 10 members of Conmebol and 40% (sometimes 50%) of them qualify for a world cup.... Goes without saying that Uefa and Conmebol have the strongest teams but surely South America should lose one spot to either Asia, Africa or Oceania (I would suggest Africa as they are probably the stronger of those three).

you have a good points there. i prefer quality to quantity though and dont want to really see the world cup diluted too much for the sake of "inclusion".

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you have a good points there. i prefer quality to quantity though and dont want to really see the world cup diluted too much for the sake of "inclusion".

True, the danger is that if they dilute South America, they could do the same to Europe. At the end of the day, they want the best international teams because that not only makes for a better tournament but will probably appease the consumers and, ergo, the advertisers!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

It wouldn't rule them out. Conmebol get 5, Concacaf get 3. Merge their qualifying groups and give them 7 places plus one through a play off maybe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There are 10 members of Conmebol and 40% (sometimes 50%) of them qualify for a world cup. Uefa has 54 members and 13 qualify, that's 24% of teams. Africa has 56 teams and only 5 qualify, Asia have 4 (possibly 5) from 47 members, Oceania gets one qualifier from 11 members and North America gets 3 plus one qualifier from 41. Goes without saying that Uefa and Conmebol have the strongest teams but surely South America should lose one spot to either Asia, Africa or Oceania (I would suggest Africa as they are probably the stronger of those three).

Wasn't there 6 in Brazil?

brazil qualified as hosts, 4 via group and 1 play off....

Could be wrong

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

I agree, but we all know the reason why the USA are guaranteed a place!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
South American teams have won the World Cup nine times. Seems reasonable to let them have a fair share of the 32 slots available. 4.5 places (taking into account the playoff) is 14% of the total available, and they have won 45% of the competition finals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here