Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely Sepp Blatter must go, NOW? Reports Russia had 2018 BEFORE votes took place

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/fo...-vote-took-place--says-blatter-115848073.html

FIFA is a corrupt FARCE. Why is he and the others not in jail??

Sepp Blatter has astonishingly revealed there was an agreement in place for the 2018 World Cup to go to Russia even before voting took place.

The suspended FIFA president told Russian news agency TASS the tournament was always lined up to go to Russia, with the 2022 World Cup to be held in the USA - until Michel Platini decided to throw his weight behind Qatar.[BLATTER BLAMES PLATINI, ENGLAND AND USA FOR ''ATTACKS'']

Blatter's comments will spark further controversy over World Cup bidding - England, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Holland spent tens of millions of pounds on bidding against Russia.

Blatter did not expand on who exactly had 'agreed' for Russia to be hosts, but claimed the crisis in FIFA had been prompted by England and the USA being 'bad losers' as a result of their World Cup bid failures.

Blatter told TASS: 'In 2010 we had a discussion of the World Cup and then we went to a double decision.

For the World Cups it was agreed that we go to Russia because it's never been in Russia, eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America. And so we will have the World Cup in the two biggest political powers.

'And everything was good until the moment when (French president Nicolas) Sarkozy came in a meeting with the crown prince of Qatar, who is now the ruler of Qatar. And at a lunch afterwards with Mr Platini he said it would be good to go to Qatar. And this has changed all pattern.

'There was an election by secret ballot. Four votes from Europe went away from the USA and so the result was 14 to eight. If you put the four votes, it would have been 12 to 10. If the USA was given the World Cup, we would only speak about the wonderful World Cup 2018 in Russia and we would not speak about any problems at FIFA.'

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Too many peoples fingers in too many pies[emoji117] [emoji502][emoji385]

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/28/sepp-blatter-fifa-russia-2018-world-cup-vote

Blatter, 79, believes Fifa would not have become engulfed in a crisis had the USA been awarded the 2022 World Cup instead of Qatar, saying the intervention of the then-president of France, Nicolas Sarkozy, proved crucial in changing the pre-planned course of events.

“In 2010 we had a discussion of the World Cup and then we went to a double decision,” said Blatter. “For the World Cups it was agreed that we go to Russia because it’s never been in Russia, eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America. And so we will have the World Cup in the two biggest political powe
rs.

“And everything was good until the moment when Sarkozy came in a meeting with the crown prince of Qatar, who is now the ruler of Qatar [Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani]. And at a lunch afterwards with Mr Platini he said it would be good to go to Qatar. And this has changed all pattern.

“There was an election by secret ballot. Four votes from Europe went away from the USA and so the result was 14 to eight. If you put the four votes, it would have been 12 to 10. If the USA was given the World Cup, we would only speak about the wonderful World Cup 2018 in Russia and we would not speak about any problems at Fifa.”

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
So we spent over £20million, made the Royals and prime Minister look idiots, and we are "bad losers". W*****s the whole gang at FIFA.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I would imagine most people assumed or knew already that this sort of thing went on. It's now however becoming so blatant that the whole organisation needs to be reformed from top to bottom. All of the Presidential candidates announced yesterday look likely to be knee deep in football related politics and corruption already.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think this is Blatter saying nobody else can play with his ball now it's been taken away from him. There is a massive dig at Platini's relationship with the Qataris (which we all know about) and he is twisting the knife into Platini.

It's no surprise this has come out - it's how Juao Havelange and Blatter set FIFA up to run, every world cup since the 80's was probably awarded on the back of favours and bribes. Everything is based on horse trading and what the Associations can get out of it.

It won't change until all the old guard are forced out and proper corporate governance is implemented. The current election is fixed so that only people who are tainted can run for president - the member associations are going to vote for anyone proposing radical change because that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
I'm sure there are lots of webs to untangle in this FIFA mess- it seems weird that Nicolas Sarkozy was in control of where the 22 cup went too. I guess him combined with Platini had big sway at that point, plus all the bribes and payments swilling round to those with votes..

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Greg Dyke's comment to the House that FIFA have been a corrupt organisation for 40 years and the national FA's are culpable in knowingly supporting it doesn't help when it comes to deciding who should be banged up.
They should all resign but they won't.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sounds like he's trying his best to make sure Platini gets stitched up and deflect some of the blame.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Needs a completely new governing body now untainted by FIFA

Exactly this, but you can be guaranteed that there isn't one country with the balls to be the first to walk away from FIFA.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given that Blatter has basically admitted the 2018 bidding process was a sham then at what point does the English FA - £10million down on the deal - decide that enough is enough and pull out of the next two World Cups?

Individual corruption is one thing but Prince William, David Cameron, David Beckham, Bobby Charlton et al have been made to look like mugs. There are already plenty of grounds for withdrawal: Ukraine, gay / human rights, disruption to the UK/European football calendar.

Integrity of the sport is more important than missing one or two World Cups that, in all likelihood, we weren't going to win anyway.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
"n a wide-ranging interview, Blatter, who will be replaced as head of world football's governing body at an election on 26 February, also said: is own current suspension is a "total nonsense" and the Fifa ethics committee has failed him"

This really says it all: that he apparently considers that the ethics committee should SERVE HIM, rather than to *shock* serve in the interests of maintaining ethical standards.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly this, but you can be guaranteed that there isn't one country with the balls to be the first to walk away from FIFA.

What has the English FA got to lose? We invented the game but were humiliated in the 2018 vote and have been pilloried by Blatter for many years. The 7 candidates to take over from Blatter reads like a rogues gallery anyway so the future doesn't look particularly bright and there is no hope of being able to deal with anyone associated with FIFA at all.

And what do our players really care? They're playing in the richest League in the world, it's clear where their priorities lie.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He and the rest of his FIFA cronies should be jailed. It will probably never come to that. Like bankers, they seem to operate outside the law. The fact that the other bidders in the process spent millions on bids that were doomed to fail, should surely lead to them all preparing private prosecutions.

The FA won't because Dyke is compleletly hapless and they simply don't have the balls.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
At least we know why the French voted Blatter in the last presidential election. Looks like Blatter is going to take eveyone down with him. I'll still be shocked if Russia DON'T host the 2018 World Cup despite all this. As previous posters have said, FIFA can no longer be retrieved, it's start again time now.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So we spent over £20million, made the Royals and prime Minister look idiots, and we are "bad losers". W*****s the whole gang at FIFA.
To be fair we shouldn't and nobody should be spending that sort of money as the world cup should not be awarded based on celebrities and money.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here