Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How big is our catchment area?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We must have one of the largest catchment areas in the country. It must be 500,000 if you include Eastbourne and Worthing. Brighton has a population of 280,000, plus all your places such as Adur,Lewes etc. How far do we stretch our area?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Something along these lines?
Possibly gone a touch too far north.

1.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't forget Brighton are a Sussex club in the truest meaning. It's fairly unusual to have county wide support. Loads of Brighton in Horsham and Hastings etc.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
East and West Sussex have a total of 1.6 million. I suspect if ever we go into the premier people will come from further towns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Something along these lines?
Possibly gone a touch too far north.

View attachment 69493
Yeah you'd probably need to 'v' down a bit what with Crawley also being a league team.

Also to the west, Littlehampton or more specifically The River Arun is the natural border.

Sure there's a few Albion across in the wastelands, but they are easily outnumbered by Pompey.
(Naturally only when Pompey were in the Premier League and FA cup final).

I reckon it's all to do with the train stations and routes.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It would be interesting to know how many football fans across Sussex regard Brighton as their main club, and how many just think of it as a team to keep an eye out for, or to watch very occasionally.

I know loads of people who claim to support Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal etc etc but come from Sussex and have some kind of affection for BHA. No idea why that kind of thing carries on into adulthood, but it does. Can't imagine not supporting my local club.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Also to the west, Littlehampton or more specifically The River Arun is the natural border.

Yes. I'm in Rustington and there are quite a few BHA supporters around. Ditto Littlehampton just to our west. But I've a friend in Bognor and she supports Portsmouth. I've no idea why; she's from Sussex not Hampshire, and should be supporting Brighton, but she won't be told.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
You'd be shocked by the number of people who get the train from Bexhill/Hastings to the Amex. A lot of fans down that way, including myself originally.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
I was 'caught' from Bognor when I moved here in 1976 - Mind you I went to see Pompey lose to Bolton so could tell at first hand they weren't much cop and although in a lower league at the time thought Brighton were way cooler and more worthy of my support !

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
The only problem with the Albion having such a large catchment area is, as Crawley Town have shown, that it is very difficult for there to be a second league club in Sussex with a decent fan base, and if Whitehawk got promoted to the football league, then they would definitely not be able to sustain their place as they would not get big enough gates for that level.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Had an email from a business contact from Belgium today who amongst the usual negotiations congratulated the Seagulls on their league position and our imminent (?) rise to the Prem. He also informed that he and a couple of pals will be visiting the Amex for a game this season and the beers will be on him, good lad!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Had an email from a business contact from Belgium today who amongst the usual negotiations congratulated the Seagulls on their league position and our imminent (?) rise to the Prem. He also informed that he and a couple of pals will be visiting the Amex for a game this season and the beers will be on him, good lad!

Sounds like a shrewdie who knows how long it takes to get served so knows he's in for one round at worst.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here