Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The United States of America

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some aspects and culture I really do love, some elements I find quite difficult and struggle to understand. Overall it's a plus though. What do you reckon?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Before the inevitable Yank bashing begins and considering the time of year ....

lorraine3.jpg

US dead and wounded WW1 & WW2 nearly 1.4 million , yes I would say 'overall' a plus.

Elvis, Taxi Driver, John Steinbeck, Arthur Miller, Husker Du, Jack Lemmon, The Beats, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, The Velvet Underground, Rockabilly, Johnny Cash, Jim Jarmusch, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Mercury Rev, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Jackson Pollock, True Romance, The Grand Canyon, New Mexico, REM, New York, San Fransisco, The Chevrolet Bel Air, The Ford Mustang, Laurel and Hardy, The Godfather Pt 2, The Sopranos, Blue Jeans, Converse All Stars, Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Public Enemy, Jonathan Safran Foer, Carhartt, Red Wing boots, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Blues, The Producers, Richard Prior, Early Woody Allen, Bill Hicks, Jon Stewart, Lenny Bruce, Larry David, Patsy Cline, The Transistor, 3D Printing, Apple, The Wright Brothers, Helping defeat the Nazis, Tupperware, Fender Guitars, Gibson 335.

I hate America.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a bizarre country when you get away from the coasts, fascinating place to visit but so glad I don't live there

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Overall it's a plus but I've never understood the passion for firearms entangled in the American constitution claiming a right to bear arms. Gun violence is abhorrent! And as for the NRA, they should all be lined up against a wall and shot!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I too have very, very mixed views. I really struggle with their gun laws, the incredible difference between the haves and the have nots which is far more pronounced than the UK. I despair sometimes at their Government's foreign policy, the American public's ignorance of anything outside their County, let alone their Country and worst of all the number of adverts on their TV!

However, it's a fantastic place to visit, and I'm lucky enough to have visited several times and been to about 15 States. We're also on the middle of planning a trip next year which will take us to 6 more States that we haven't visited yet.

There's so much to see and do, no wonder the majority of Americans don't have a passport.

I don't think I could live there.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Some aspects and culture I really do love, some elements I find quite difficult and struggle to understand. Overall it's a plus though. What do you reckon?

Exactly this. Have been there 9 times, all over the country, and loved it.
However, have reservations about gun culture, police shooting black men to name a couple.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Elvis, Taxi Driver, John Steinbeck, Arthur Miller, Husker Du, Jack Lemmon, The Beats, Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, The Velvet Underground, Rockabilly, Johnny Cash, Jim Jarmusch, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Mercury Rev, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Jackson Pollock, True Romance, The Grand Canyon, New Mexico, REM, New York, San Fransisco, The Chevrolet Bel Air, The Ford Mustang, Laurel and Hardy, The Godfather Pt 2, The Sopranos, Blue Jeans, Converse All Stars, Rosa Parks, Muhammad Ali, Public Enemy, Jonathan Safran Foer, Carhartt, Red Wing boots, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Blues, The Producers, Richard Prior, Early Woody Allen, Bill Hicks, Jon Stewart, Lenny Bruce, Larry David, Patsy Cline, The Transistor, 3D Printing, Apple, The Wright Brothers, Helping defeat the Nazis, Tupperware, Fender Guitars, Gibson 335.

I hate America.

Stan Laurel was English and wasn't Jackson pollock an Australian?.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I reckon that you'll find with 300odd million of them that there'll be a bit of everything :angel:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Everywhere I have been in the USA has been terrific fun and very interesting such a shame about the gun culture.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I too have very, very mixed views. I really struggle with their gun laws, the incredible difference between the haves and the have nots which is far more pronounced than the UK. I despair sometimes at their Government's foreign policy, the American public's ignorance of anything outside their County, let alone their Country and worst of all the number of adverts on their TV!

However, it's a fantastic place to visit, and I'm lucky enough to have visited several times and been to about 15 States. We're also on the middle of planning a trip next year which will take us to 6 more States that we haven't visited yet.

There's so much to see and do, no wonder the majority of Americans don't have a passport.

I don't think I could live there.

Spot on,,

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In which case our friends in the East are a much bigger plus...

If you mean the Eastern lot who started the war on Germany's side, invaded Poland and replaced one form of brutal dictatorship in the countries they 'liberated' with another then no I wouldn't call that a much bigger plus.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
If you mean the Eastern lot who started the war on Germany's side, invaded Poland and replaced one form of brutal dictatorship in the countries they 'liberated' with another then no I wouldn't call that a much bigger plus.

Well quite but your original post suggested you liked America purely on the basis of their war dead. Your second post explained why, despite their massive war dead, you did not like Russia. I'm still none the wiser as to why you may like America mind you...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I reckon that you'll find with 300odd million of them that there'll be a bit of everything :angel:

True. But the same can be said of many nations. But, I find my relationship with the US quite different.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What a great list.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here