Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Energy Saving Lightbulbs never last as long as they claim

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
The lifespan of energy saving lightbulbs are never what they claim to be. I don't think I've ever had one that I use on a daily basis that's lasted much more than a year, yet some claim to have lifespans of up to 10 years. I don't doubt they use less energy when they are in use than standard light bulbs, but when you factor their disappointing life expectancy are they really worth the extra cost?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
which sort, CFL or halogen? i find the halogen good. i find the CFL to be utter shite. not sure if its cheap quality or they aren't suitable to frequent on/off cycles, ive found i replace CFLs more frequently than old school bulbs. moving to LED as deals allow, normal prices are too high but occasionally there's value (screwfix doing 5 for £10 on standard size bayonet at the moment)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bloody useless.

If I want to use a room after the hours of darkness with one of these things fitted I switch the light on about 10 minutes beforehand, just to give the bulb a fighting chance of arriving at some sort of luminosity beyond twilight.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The lifespan of energy saving lightbulbs are never what they claim to be. I don't think I've ever had one that I use on a daily basis that's lasted much more than a year, yet some claim to have lifespans of up to 10 years. I don't doubt they use less energy when they are in use than standard light bulbs, but when you factor their disappointing life expectancy are they really worth the extra cost?

Agreed!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think you may want to consider testing your circuits as energy saving bulbs are more sensitive to voltage surges than conventional tungsten. Do you have any dimmer switches as they don't like them either. This maybe a case of cheaper bulbs? Or loose connections somewhere that is causing them to fail earlier in their lifespan.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was having problems with bulbs failing after 1 week to 3 months because I had a dimmer switch, even though it was always turned full on. Once I got an electrician to bypass the dimmer I have not had a bulb fail. I made a point of saving the receipts and took several bulbs back for free replacement if they failed within 3 months.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I think you may want to consider testing your circuits as energy saving bulbs are more sensitive to voltage surges than conventional tungsten.

not so great for being turned on and off then. leave them on to save them... reduce the cost saving. doubtful anything on the lighting circuit to cause problems as only other lights should be present. lets face it they are a poo solution that was a stop gap until LED got to a sensible price for suitable lumen output.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have similar disappointment with 'Bags For Life' - the 'life' span of a fruit fly?

Funny you say that because written on Asda's bag of life it says they will replace the bag free of charge if damaged. I did just that today.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Funny you say that because written on Asda's bag of life it says they will replace the bag free of charge if damaged. I did just that today.
I was told this in co-op the other day by the cashier. Just take it in and they will swap it.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
That is knowledge that I didn't have re the bags - thanks. Not sure if Sainsbury's do the same, I'll investigate (especially as plastic bags are 5p now!)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That is knowledge that I didn't have re the bags - thanks. Not sure if Sainsbury's do the same, I'll investigate (especially as plastic bags are 5p now!)

No If the handles split on a Sainsbury's bag they are designed to slit your wrists

*I'll get my coat*

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I've not changed a light bulb in my house for over 5 years, including a landing light that has been on all night, almost every night, for the whole of that time. Seems as though my experience is in contrast to those on here,

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
... including a landing light that has been on all night, almost every night, for the whole of that time.

turning off and on that knackers most electrical items. there was apparently a bulb over a door at a fire station that was left on for 80 odd years or something ridiculous, until they pull the building down.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I had energy saving light bulbs in my kitchen which were going all the time (these were the the ones that are about half the normal wattage). Over the last few years as they have died i've replaced about 8-9 of them with LED bulbs that are 5w equivalent to 50w and never had one of those go. They are about 5 or 6 quid each but worth it in the long run.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
which sort, CFL or halogen? i find the halogen good. i find the CFL to be utter shite. not sure if its cheap quality or they aren't suitable to frequent on/off cycles, ive found i replace CFLs more frequently than old school bulbs. moving to LED as deals allow, normal prices are too high but occasionally there's value (screwfix doing 5 for £10 on standard size bayonet at the moment)
They're utter crap, but we will soon have no choice about using because of government (or is it EU?) dictats. They don't last long, and they're nowhere near as bright as the ordinary bulbs they're supposed to replace. 20 Watts equivalent to 100? - my ****! Managed to buy a pack of ten proper light bulbs for a fiver on a street market the other week - thank the lord for cash only trading!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
One of life's great truisms is that nothing you buy lasts as long as it claims.

Another is that energy saving light bulbs work by giving less light. It's like a return to the freeking 17th century

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here