Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government tax credit cuts bill defeated in the House of Lords

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. The motion peers have passed instructs the government to delay the tax credit cuts (which are due to come into force in April) until it has taken account of an independent analysis of who is going to lose out. Vote was 307 - 277.

2. Another defeat for the government - Labour's motion, under the name of Baroness Hollis, has been passed by 289 to 272. It calls for the changes to be delayed until a three-year package of transitional financial help for those affected has been agreed upon.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm no fan of the unelected house but, on this occasion, hooray for the Lords.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well thats going to be a bit of a pickle.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm no fan of the unelected house but, on this occasion, hooray for the Lords.

I'm no fan of the nasty party but, on this occasion, they will have my 100% support if they use this circumstance to abolish the unelected house replacing it with elected lords nominated by voters. However they won't as they are are the party of the privileged and powerful and will look after the institutions. This situation has made me chuckle.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Here's a compromise. Pay working tax credit as vouchers rather than cash.

I'm still not convinced these payments go much further than funding a Sky TV subscription in an awful lot of cases.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I'm no Tory but this is an outrageous infringement on the primacy of the Commons. That unelected Peers - Bishops and Earls among them - have done this is entirely unacceptable and undemocratic.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm no Tory but this is an outrageous infringement on the primacy of the Commons. That unelected Peers - Bishops and Earls among them - have done this is entirely unacceptable and undemocratic.

Not on this occasion, thank god for the House Of Lords, To lie time and time again and then go back on his word after the election and make the poorest even poorer is disgusting, it had to be stopped, although I do, in principal agree with you. Sometimes the Government just goes too far.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
_86211038_imapct_tax_credits_624_v3.png

They have forgotten to add people like us who have to work to fund those who stop working when the 16 hour limit is reached.
If they cannot cut the amount they pay these types for 3 years then lets make sure we delay the other changes proposed to assist such as the increase in working wage for same period.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
They have forgotten to add people like us who have to work to fund those who stop working when the 16 hour limit is reached.
If they cannot cut the amount they pay these types for 3 years then lets make sure we delay the other changes proposed to assist such as the increase in working wage for same period.

These types? The media focus on an unsavory minority of the poor does not excuse your hideous attitude.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
These types? The media focus on an unsavory minority of the poor does not excuse your hideous attitude.

I work with enough of the majority who refuse to do more than 16 hours because the would lose the tax credits...
They do the minimum number of hours to gain the most credits...
I had nothing and got where I am through hard work and drive..everything that these people will never have whilst others supplement their laziness.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The Lords should not be able to overrule the elected parliament.

However, this disgusting raid on the pockets of the working poorest needed to be halted until a more credible alternative is found, so in this case needs must.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cant imagine how the clown thought it a good idea in the 1st place , mind boggling .

there's £35bn reasons why something needs to be done about tax credits. and what both motions do, as well as sensible opposition to them, is reduce or delay the impact of them, not stop them completely.

the fact the Lords is overrulling the elected government's programme is an interesting precedent for them to set, especially on finance the one area considered wholey the preserve of the commons. kings have been beheaded for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here