Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley .... like being in a third world country

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I knew that Crawley has been a dump for a long long time, but having avoided the town centre for a few years I had not realised just how much it had deteriorated. Today I had the misfortune to spend an hour in the town:
- English was the minority language
- many of the shops looked like the type you find in souks
- lots of "shoppers amusements" shops ... presumably full of slot machines so the unemployed layabouts can gamble away what little money they do have
- charity shops everywhere
- Lyca Mobile signs all over the place
- every third shop offering to "unlock mobiles"
- boarded up shops abound
- the white faces were mostly Eastern Europeans or chavvy overweight English people

Awful, awful, awful.

An embarrasment to the name of Sussex.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
When you put it like that, it sounds like it's improved quite a bit since I was last there.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Do you know what, I walked through the town and was thinking exactly the same.
What a hole.The area up the Broadway is almost entirely boarded up fronts.
The point about the spoken language is so terribly sad, for all of us.I hadn't noticed this happening, but as sure as you say, it's true...hardly a home born person about.
I admit to being utterly embarrassed by the place.I never venture in to town after dark these days either, it's just not safe, and I'm not at an age to feel I could defend myself.
The town has for as long as I've known it, had a high population of Asians.They are good, hard working people, many I can count as personal friends.....but the population is now swathed with God only knows what.
Add to this the fact that only an hour before my town centre visit, I was reading about that poor Mile Oak reserve player getting stabbed on Saturday, I'm kind of thinking it's about time to sell and look for somewhere a bit nicer.
RIP Crawley

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Crawley town centre has been on the downturn for a longtime, I literally never go into town anymore.
We live in the outskirts of town and it's lovely, but yeah the centre is a shithole with lots of Eastern Europeans.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I knew that Crawley has been a dump for a long long time, but having avoided the town centre for a few years I had not realised just how much it had deteriorated. Today I had the misfortune to spend an hour in the town:
- English was the minority language
- many of the shops looked like the type you find in souks
- lots of "shoppers amusements" shops ... presumably full of slot machines so the unemployed layabouts can gamble away what little money they do have
- charity shops everywhere
- Lyca Mobile signs all over the place
- every third shop offering to "unlock mobiles"
- boarded up shops abound
- the white faces were mostly Eastern Europeans or chavvy overweight English people

Awful, awful, awful.

An embarrasment to the name of Sussex.

When you say, in your garbled grammar and spelling, Crawley, do you mean the whole of Crawley, or Gossops Green or Northgate, or Furnace Green, or Tilgate, were you talking as a whole or just generally talking bollocks?

Shall I just say Brighton is a shit hole and leave it there?

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
More worryingly we've had 4 stabbings this month.
The latest being in Langley Green on Saturday where a football match was abandoned because the changing rooms were broken into and robbed.
The players tracked 3 youths down nearby and one of the players was stabbed in the neck.He was rushed to hospital in London and could so easily have been killed.The police have arrested 3 Crawley teenagers.

The latest being in Langley Green on Saturday where a football match was abandoned because the changing rooms were broken into and robbed.
The players tracked 3 youths down nearby and one of the players was stabbed in the neck.He was rushed to hospital in London and could so easily have been killed.The police have arrested 3 Crawley teenagers.

Was at the game!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Never had any issues with Crawley, just the 60s planner who created much of its centre.

As regards the folk who live there, I can't pass judgement. The colour of anyone's skin, or their origin, means little to me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Very worryingly, that is awful, I haven't seen the reports or anything on tv. However, doesn't that happen all over the land? Having lived in London that was a daily occurrence, does anyone post threads remarking on London? To tag Crawley as a shit hole is just so naive and childish. Go have a night out in Brighton down Queens/North Street, worst place in the world on a Saturday.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Shame to hear Crawley has deteriorated so much. Lets be honest it was never the Jewel of Sussex but a good night could be had there circa late 90's early noughties. Ikon Diva club by the station was one of my fav places in West Sussex, probably long gone now.

Very worryingly, that is awful, I haven't seen the reports or anything on tv. However, doesn't that happen all over the land? Having lived in London that was a daily occurrence, does anyone post threads remarking on London? To tag Crawley as a shit hole is just so naive and childish. Go have a night out in Brighton down Queens/North Street, worst place in the world on a Saturday.

The lad is out of hospital and ok.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Having lived in 'Crawley' for the past year I find it a little bit insulting that someone comes on here having spent 10 minutes in the town centre and labels the whole place with the same brush. I am sure he lives in just the best place known to man, somewhere around Whitehawk. None of your (racist remarks) eastern Europeans or Muslims where I live, Did you come where I live on your amazing trip around the town. What a seriously deluded and utterly wrong post.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Crawley has the smallest residents of any town in the World (ex Poorest from east end a reason?) so outsiders walk around feeling like Dave Prowse
also remarkably it has just 1 shop (Superdry) out of 200 that has items for sale for more than £1.99

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Crawley has always been a bit of a hole, just a different type of hole it was than it was in the 80's...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here