Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Apple TV

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I'm intrigued by Apple TV and these streaming boxes. What do you actually get, and what do you have to pay for on top(subscriptions etc)? And what quality are the streams?

The quality of the stream depends on the quality of your broadband - they will go up to 1080 if your broadband is good enough;
You get a load of crap channels for free, but to get value you are going to have to pay for the likes of netflix, nowTv, you can watch your films purchased through iTunes though;
You can watch youtube for free if you're into that;
You can "airplay" stuff from your ipad or iphone such as BT sport so get the app on your phone, then stream it to the TV;
You can look at your photostream on it;
The new device will have apps so you should see the likes of twitch, iplayer, 4OD, etc. appearing on the new version, eventually.

We use it almost everyday for something or other, mostly netflix and now tv to be honest. I really like it but it's been infuriating that the likes of iPlayer have not made it on there yet despite being on practically everything else. If you could watch your itunes stuff on Xbox One I probably wouldn't bother now though as this seems to be the way to go.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Curiosity ..people's interest in the product etc ...I'm mulling over a purchase

Not sure what Apple TV, Chromecast offer that any half decent TV doesn't

If you want to see the world a little differently then get one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-keyboard-Tonbux-Streaming-Streamer/dp/B00WWIUIN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445880224&sr=8-1&keywords=kodi

There's a thread that was going on recently below ... I've had mine about three weeks now and it's a bit fiddly and frustrating but I'm making progress. Figured out the movies and live sport (watched Leeds v BHA) and working out how to improve quality

I wouldn't go with Firestick though (even more fiddly from what I'm told) ... and maybe you can get Kodi on Apple but I doubt it

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?327939-Amazon-FIRESTICK-dodgy-streaming

Of course all the above could be bollox but it's my narrow view of things :dunce:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I heard the new Apple TV doesn't support 4K content. Sounds like a dick move if so.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Am thinking of purchasing an Apple TV, simply to have netflixs on it as don't have a Ps4 or Xbox one...suggestions

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Have a NowTV box- you can buy ongoing 'passes' for extra tv programmes, that wont be on freeview, also movies, and sports. Sky lite, if you will.

Netfix probably best deal, one price (depending on how many devices you want to use at one time), for both movies & tv - also works via a youview box (Nowtv app on youview only allows movies at present, due to licensing issues?)

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Not sure what Apple TV, Chromecast offer that any half decent TV doesn't

Apps.

Although right now I'm not really sure what apps are going to be the key. But giving all of those iOS developers the keys to your living room tv is bound to throw up some really exciting choices.

I'm gonna hold off for now as I've got Youtube, spotify, netflix etc on my smart tv, but in a year or so, it could be really interesting.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
One thing Apple TV could do, which they may have planned, is a generic interface to access streamable content.

Eg. I have Netflix, Amazon prime and sky, if I could use one app to search them all and access content that would be more convenient.

For now, as others have mentioned, it doesn't look like it offers much beyond what any bog standard smart TV does. Some people do value mirroring content from their Apple device though, mainly for illegal streams or if they have a friends login to Sky go or BT sport etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here