Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Joke That Is The Free Bus Travel Zone

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why, oh why, do the club show a "free travel zone" that includes a huge area in which you cannot use any bus service?

I'm fed up with having to clarify this on a regular basis because the information on the travel guide on the club's website shows a huge area with my home location right inside it. However, none of the busses from my location are part of the transport plan agreement.

The travel guide helpfully states that there is free travel on "all Brighton and Hove Busses". The problem is that Brighton and Hove busses don't operate any busses in the area around where I live (despite the services being listed on the Brighton & Hove Busses website). However, when I send an enquiry, the first response is always "Please see the travel guide online which details that Hurstpierpoint is within the free Matchday bus travel zone". However, when pressed, the proper response becomes "Our transport manager has confirmed that unfortunately the Metro buses and Sussex Buses are NOT included in the free travel".

It's time they drew the map HONESTLY and didn't promise something that isn't delivered. Is this the case elsewhere within the free travel zone, or is Hurst unique?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re-read your post and you'll realise you sound like a spoilt kid who didn't get what they wanted for christmas.

there's no train station in Hurstpierpoint either, do you moan about that as well?

Really?

The lack of a train station is immaterial. We are served by busses, which is what I commented on. Hurstpierpoint is shown as within the free travel zone. That is the response I get when I ask what free travel I can use.

I just want them to make it clear that when Brighton & Hove bus routes (as advertised on their website) are operated by a third party, these services are not covered by the free travel and therefore the map on their travel guide is wrong. I just want them to make it correct so that I don't have to keep asking the question and getting the wrong answer.

For your information, the Metro bus service (allegedly) WAS included last season. There has been no announcement that it now isn't, so how was I to know?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Why, oh why, do the club show a "free travel zone" that includes a huge area in which you cannot use any bus service?

I'm fed up with having to clarify this on a regular basis because the information on the travel guide on the club's website shows a huge area with my home location right inside it. However, none of the busses from my location are part of the transport plan agreement.

The travel guide helpfully states that there is free travel on "all Brighton and Hove Busses". The problem is that Brighton and Hove busses don't operate any busses in the area around where I live (despite the services being listed on the Brighton & Hove Busses website). However, when I send an enquiry, the first response is always "Please see the travel guide online which details that Hurstpierpoint is within the free Matchday bus travel zone". However, when pressed, the proper response becomes "Our transport manager has confirmed that unfortunately the Metro buses and Sussex Buses are NOT included in the free travel".

It's time they drew the map HONESTLY and didn't promise something that isn't delivered. Is this the case elsewhere within the free travel zone, or is Hurst unique?

As above you sound like a spoilt brat.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Really?

The lack of a train station is immaterial. We are served by busses, which is what I commented on. Hurstpierpoint is shown as within the free travel zone. That is the response I get when I ask what free travel I can use.

I just want them to make it clear that when Brighton & Hove bus routes (as advertised on their website) are operated by a third party, these services are not covered by the free travel and therefore the map on their travel guide is wrong. I just want them to make it correct so that I don't have to keep asking the question and getting the wrong answer.

For your information, the Metro bus service (allegedly) WAS included last season. There has been no announcement that it now isn't, so how was I to know?

Why keep asking the question, if you have been given the answer, It seems pretty clear to me.

Let me guess you are around 60 years old and y ou have just taken up the hobby of complaining about everything that annoys you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Used to be able to sneak on the 29 bus at Tunbridge Wells even though it wasn't in the travel zone. Now they specifically mention that travel on the 29 bus isn't included from so far out.

So it looks like they can take time to be clear when it suits them. ???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm pissed off that they don't provide me with a taxi back to Manchester after each match.

It's not as if they can't afford it, we still have some of the money from the '83 cup final you know, the amount that DICK TIGHT didn't manage to get his hands on.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why keep asking the question, if you have been given the answer, It seems pretty clear to me.

Let me guess you are around 60 years old and y ou have just taken up the hobby of complaining about everything that annoys you.

As I said, last season the MetroBus service WAS included. This season, it has been removed, but I only found out because a bus driver told me. When I asked the club to clarify, they just told me I lived in the free zone.

Let me guess, you didn't read the original post thoroughly and just decided to post a crap response anyway.

And your guess was also wrong.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm pissed off that they don't provide me with a taxi back to Manchester after each match.

It's not as if they can't afford it, we still have some of the money from the '83 cup final you know, the amount that DICK TIGHT didn't manage to get his hands on.

At least they don't pretend that Manchester is covered by the free travel zone!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If you live in Hurst why would you bother with the bus. Just walk in to Hassocks and catch the train.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Wah wah wah this free stuff provided by the club doesn't benefit me as much as I would like so the whole thing is a joke.

How much is the fare to travel into an area covered by the free travel?

And finally, your attitude that everyone who disagrees with you simply doesn't understand is commendable.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If you live in Hurst why would you bother with the bus. Just walk in to Hassocks and catch the train.

Exactly. I am a mile from Lewes station and cycle or walk to there. Many fans will be in the same boat (if that's not mixing my transport metaphors).

PG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can understand the OP point as Metro Buses are owned by the same company as B & H buses so why do they not accept travel vouchers. Sussex Bus Co are just a joke with c..p drivers in the main, with a few exceptions.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
As I said, last season the MetroBus service WAS included. This season, it has been removed, but I only found out because a bus driver told me. When I asked the club to clarify, they just told me I lived in the free zone.

Let me guess, you didn't read the original post thoroughly and just decided to post a crap response anyway.

And your guess was also wrong.

I did read it, you are moaning for moanings sake, you could easily get a train from HPP as mentioned Hassocks is close enough. In fact it is probably closer than my nearest train statiom and I too am not covered by a bus.

However I do understand that the club does try to cater for all however it doesnt work for everyone, just because it doesnt fit perfectly for me doesnt mean its wrong. I will use the free travel where I can and its great for post game travel even away from the ground.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Withdean tickets always had the logos of the companies that accepted the tickets emblazoned of them for what it's worth. But I think it's pretty clear who does accept them (i.e. Southern and B & H buses).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here