Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two Legends

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good to have the mention of two legends at The Preston North End match:

Namely Mel Hopkins and Johnny Byrne. The only two Albion players I've talked to about football. They told me!

Mel Hopkins at right back who said the best way to nullify a winger is to intercept the ball before he gets it, that Tom Finney was the best he had played against, including Garrincha (tricky) and Stanley Matthews (knew what he was going to do but still hard to stop). That the worst opponent was a winger (forgotten his name) who played for Sheffield United and could beat him for sheer speed.

And Johnny Byrne who played for Ireland as an inverted winger (before the term had been invented) under Jackie Charlton. Radio Sussex.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good to have the mention of two legends at The Preston North End match:

Namely Mel Hopkins and Johnny Byrne. The only two Albion players I've talked to about football. They told me!

Mel Hopkins at right back who said the best way to nullify a winger is to intercept the ball before he gets it, that Tom Finney was the best he had played against, including Garrincha (tricky) and Stanley Matthews (knew what he was going to do but still hard to stop). That the worst opponent was a winger (forgotten his name) who played for Sheffield United and could beat him for sheer speed.

And Johnny Byrne who played for Ireland as an inverted winger (before the term had been invented) under Jackie Charlton. Radio Sussex.
The legends that were Alex Dawson and Nobby Lawton not worth a mention too then?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here