Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RWC Final NZ v Aust

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Any interest at all? Seem this is pretty much off the radar now, Radio 5 didn't even cover the semi's...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
NZ v Australia final ? Surely we could have skipped the previous 6 weeks odd and just gone straight to this match ... after all who didn't expect this to be the final ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Apart from the SA v Japan game its been all too predictable.

Amazes me the price of the tickets for what is essentially a fringe sport.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Let's hope NZ win Australia are there thanks to an incompatent referee

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Let's hope NZ win Australia are there thanks to an incompatent referee

Even without the ref, Australia were the better team.

NZ should still win next week, though. If they play anything like how they did against the French. South Africa showed yesterday that the All Blacks do have weak spots though, so it should be a good game.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's as predictable as the football world cups...always about 3 or 4 in with a realistic chance....should be a cracking final :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I gave it a go. But seems to me that most games are largely decided by a series of fairly inexplicable penalties constantly being given for some minor infringement or other (usually involving a scrum). They all hunker down, then 5 seconds later its "PEEEEEEEP" - penalty. Another 3 points, and on we go to the next one. For me, any sport where the score is so heavily dictated by mistakes and resultant penalties is a bit...well...bobbins.

NZ v Aus then. Lets get it over with so we can all move on with our lives.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Is this still going on ? ???

Lost interest after the AMEX games, and England crashing out.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Well, I gave it a go. But seems to me that most games are largely decided by a series of fairly inexplicable penalties constantly being given for some minor infringement or other (usually involving a scrum). They all hunker down, then 5 seconds later its "PEEEEEEEP" - penalty. Another 3 points, and on we go to the next one. For me, any sport where the score is so heavily dictated by mistakes and resultant penalties is a bit...well...bobbins.

NZ v Aus then. Lets get it over with so we can all move on with our lives.

I can understand your point about the number of penalties, but I think you're putting too much emphasis on them being awarded for an infringement - rather than skillful play from the opposition.

For example, many of the scrum penalties are given because one pack has done its job better than their opponents, rather than there being some kind of foulplay. Similarly, most of penalties awarded at the breakdown occur because the defending team have successfully killed the ball, rather than the attacking team infringing.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Any interest at all? Seem this is pretty much off the radar now, Radio 5 didn't even cover the semi's...

Eh?

Both semi finals were live on 5Live sports extra, with regular updates on 5Live.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can understand your point about the number of penalties, but I think you're putting too much emphasis on them being awarded for an infringement - rather than skillful play from the opposition.

For example, many of the scrum penalties are given because one pack has done its job better than their opponents, rather than there being some kind of foulplay. Similarly, most of penalties awarded at the breakdown occur because the defending team have successfully killed the ball, rather than the attacking team infringing.

Fair enough. I'm aware I'm not very well versed with the subtleties of the sport, which is probably the main reason I find it a bit of a turnoff. Deliberately hoiking into touch isn't overly admirable in terms of a passage of play either IMO, but the chinless tweed brigade in the stands always seem to go nuts over that as well.

:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here