Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Pressures Of Being Top

el punal

Having been top of the Championship pretty much since the start of the season, and unbeaten at that, has created a unique form of angst among Albion fans.

Some of us are now feeling the effects of football's altitude sickness, which is only prevalent to those in a similar position.

Some examples, a draw is now treated as if it were a defeat, a narrow victory by one goal is akin to draw, a post mortem is held if our strikers have failed to score in a match, it's an emergency if our midfield are not operating like a well oiled machine and if our defence should concede a goal . . . . !

So time to be realistic. We are where we are because we are good. Granted, we haven't given any side a tonking yet but then I don't think we've got into top gear - yet. Our league rivals are still four points (or more) adrift of us and are starting to look at us with respect, and not a little envy. Being top gives you that certain status that also gives you confidence and self belief.

The future? Maybe we'll slip up, have a couple of poor defeats or incur injuries to key players, but then that also applies to other teams as well. For the moment we are in the box seat, we are top, we are unbeaten, let's enjoy it!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Just going by the last 3 games, we were pretty shite.
We've had our fair share of luck or fortune in a few games too.

One finisher short of giving any team a whooping.
Depth in all positions except the left side which we have seen since Kaz has been out.
Fingers crossed for Bong.

The next 10 games (7 teams in the top 10) should define how good we actually are.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Having been top of the Championship pretty much since the start of the season, and unbeaten at that, has created a unique form of angst among Albion fans.

Some of us are now feeling the effects of football's altitude sickness, which is only prevalent to those in a similar position.

Some examples, a draw is now treated as if it were a defeat, a narrow victory by one goal is akin to draw, a post mortem is held if our strikers have failed to score in a match, it's an emergency if our midfield are not operating like a well oiled machine and if our defence should concede a goal . . . . !

So time to be realistic. We are where we are because we are good. Granted, we haven't given any side a tonking yet but then I don't think we've got into top gear - yet. Our league rivals are still four points (or more) adrift of us and are starting to look at us with respect, and not a little envy. Being top gives you that certain status that also gives you confidence and self belief.

The future? Maybe we'll slip up, have a couple of poor defeats or incur injuries to key players, but then that also applies to other teams as well. For the moment we are in the box seat, we are top, we are unbeaten, let's enjoy it!

Best post I've seen on NSC. Good stuff.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Completely agree. We'd surely have all taken 7 points from 3 games before Leeds.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The next 10 games (7 teams in the top 10) should define how good we actually are.

Ha ! After a few jokey posts when we were top of the league after 3 games. I'm sure there were posts, probably mine, saying .
Lets see where we are in 10 games time...then we'll know.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Some of us are now feeling the effects of football's altitude sickness, which is only prevalent to those in a similar position

I am not sure pressure is the right word. I think part of the reason we have stayed undefeated is because we have generally played without seeming to be under pressure, which is credit to players and management and perhaps reflects the surprise factor that no-one really anticipated this.

Having said that, we have been fortunate in some games - just fallen the right side of the margin to quote CH - and the failure to win a single game by more than a goal is causing more draws than will be sustainable to achieve the mid 80s points normally required for top two. Undefeated for 13 League games (14 including 0-0 at Boro last season) is remarkable as Grayson graciously admitted yesterday but we have controlled none of those games.

One of two things has to happen soon: we win well or we lose. I thought we would turn over City or PNE but failed so the fixture list makes the latter possibility the more likely. Then it will be a test to see how we recover post defeat.

It is right to enjoy the run while it lasts because it can go wrong quickly. Should have done enough already to make a mid table performance from here sufficient to get a PO spot, and that. Is a significant achievement.

el punal

I am not sure pressure is the right word. I think part of the reason we have stayed undefeated is because we have generally played without seeming to be under pressure, which is credit to players and management and perhaps reflects the surprise factor that no-one really anticipated this.

Having said that, we have been fortunate in some games - just fallen the right side of the margin to quote CH - and the failure to win a single game by more than a goal is causing more draws than will be sustainable to achieve the mid 80s points normally required for top two. Undefeated for 13 League games (14 including 0-0 at Boro last season) is remarkable as Grayson graciously admitted yesterday but we have controlled none of those games.

One of two things has to happen soon: we win well or we lose. I thought we would turn over City or PNE but failed so the fixture list makes the latter possibility the more likely. Then it will be a test to see how we recover post defeat.

It is right to enjoy the run while it lasts because it can go wrong quickly. Should have done enough already to make a mid table performance from here sufficient to get a PO spot, and that. Is a significant achievement.

Pretty much agree with everything you say, however I will add, that this is the Championship and to quote that well worn cliché : anyone get beat anyone and there are no easy games. You predict a nailed-on victory at your peril.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Pretty much agree with everything you say, however I will add, that this is the Championship and to quote that well worn cliché : anyone get beat anyone and there are no easy games. You predict a nailed-on victory at your peril.
Certainly true otherwise our period of draws in games we should have won, and yesterday in a game that we might have predicted we would win, would have ended up with others overtaking us at the top. The fact that we are still there shows that our rivals drop points too. It's still wide open with a dozen teams that could end up top two, we just need to keep picking up points

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here