Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Canada

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Half of my family live over in Canada (Vancouver & Misson)
I went over when I was very young but I remember it being fantastic.
We done white water rafting for a whole day, visited the rocky mountains, watched knights jousting and my favourite was watching lumberjacks climbing up the biggest tree trunks that you would ever see. A beautiful place to go. I hope you have a lovely time

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I went to British Columbia this year on an organised trip. It was great - the Rocky Mountaineer is a must, if you can do it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Only spent a day and half there after travelling up from Seattle. Really liked it. We did just the usual touristy things like a trolley tour, Stanley park. Gas Street, in the short time. Thought it was a really nice city.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Get yourself to Granville Island Market which is great for food and just looking at the fantastic produce and mixing with the locals.
Try and get over to Victoria on Vancouver Island for a few days if you can. A whale watching trip out of Victoria harbour for an afternoon is great also with a very good chance of seeing Orcas. I've seen them probably about 80% of the times of been out. Sept is a good time to visit, June can be a bit wet.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Thank you.
I went in 1986 when I was 12 and it was awesome as far as I remember, it was at the time of Expo 86.

If you can do the white water rafting I would recommend it, my auntie almost fell out. The food what they included during the day was just fruit so wasn't best please.
Its an amazing place. I wish I could go back and I might sometime.

There was a restaurant called "red robin" was rather nice, with your food the chips ��(fries) would be served in a little basket and if you finished the basket you would get more chips for free. Just a like free refill on drink.

I know sorry not helping with many ideas. But from what I remember it was fantastic.
I went when I was about 12 I think, so that would be about 16 years ago.
As I said before have a lovely time and enjoy yourself ��

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
We did a fly drive a few years ago, taking in Seattle, Vancouver, Jasper, Calgary and Banff. BC and Alberta were fantastic. If you're driving, the Icefields Parkway down to Banff is awe inspiring.

Vancouver is great. Visit the Capillano Suspension Bridge.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Spent 5 days in Canada in 2004 before going across the Rainbow Bridge into America. Flew into Montreal (where French is mostly spoken) and did a tour down the East Coast. Friends have recommended doing Alberta or British Columbia so would love to do that some time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was in Vancouver on business last month - first time I've been there, really lovely city. Gas Town area reminded me of Dublin. Seemed there was loads to do nearby and the mountains are very close by. People very friendly and Vancouver is a safe city to explore (just avoid East Hastings which is full of beggars and druggies I was told). Wish I could have stayed longer.

'Red Robin' is a burger chain restaurant (they are in the US too). Probably the best of it's type.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did a cycle touring trip from Vancouver. Headed North to get ferry over to the top of Vancouver Island, turned South towards Victoria, ferry to the States and then keep going to LA. Great trip. Vancouver is a great starting point and Vancouver Island a trendy Island.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Whatever you do, hire a car as nothing is within walking distance! I went around 10 yrs ago in March I think it was and it's sucha gorgeous city. There's the zoo in Stanley Park which is worth a visit, and even a walk around the park around the sea shore if the weather's nice.

Also worth driving to north Vancouver to walk across Capilano bridge (if you don't mind heights!) Also take the cable car up to Grouse Mountain, and drive up the other mountain (Cypress mountain) in North Vancouver.

If you've got a spare day then it's worth driving the "sea to sky" highway from Vancouver to Whistler, a beautiful ski resort but plenty to do up there even in summer. Takes around 2 hours to get there and it's all on one road so you can't get lost!

Also if you have time take the ferry to Vancouver Island and see the world famous Buschart gardens.

It depends when you are going but I have been to BC loads of times and spent a month there this summer.

Vancouver itself has loads to do and see including Stanley Park - suggest you hire a bike from near the Waterfront and take a leisurely 2 hour ride. The Float plane ride around the harbour was just incredible and not too expensive with todays exchange rate.

As others have said the drive up to Whistler is beautiful including going through a place called Squamish where you can 'Hike the Chief' which is a great if you fancy a bit of an exhilarating walk with fantastic views at the top - if you are peckish afterwards there is a fantastic fish & chip restaurant called the Wigan Pier which is run by an English bloke with superb grub and just as superb beer.

Get across to Vancouver Island - the ferry ride itself is great - and if you like beaches go to Tofino - it's a long drive but worthwhile and lots of inexpensive places to stay with a great buzz about the place.

All is all you can't go wrong

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
A whale watching trip out of Victoria harbour for an afternoon is great also with a very good chance of seeing Orcas. I've seen them probably about 80% of the times of been out.

They guarantee that if you don't see any whales you can have another trip FOC. As there is a waiting list I would recommend you book your trip early in the holiday so that there is time to re-book if you don't see any on the first outing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Slightly off-topic but I'm in Toronto for five days next month if anyone has any recommendations for things to do whilst I'm there?

There's plenty to do in Toronto, but make sure you pack for all weather, at the moment it can be anything from -5C to +20C (it was snowing last week, today it's sunny and I didn't even need a coat when I went out). I'd recommend:

- Kensington Market, it feels a bit like The North Laine with interesting little shops, bars, restaurants from around the world
- CN Tower, hard to knock the view from the top
- Niagara Falls needs to be ticked off, it's about 2 hours away. Make sure you go to the vineyards and Niagara-on-the-Lake (much better than the slightly tacky town where the falls are)
- Take a boat to the islands
- The Distillery District
- If you want to get out of the city and like the outdoors I'd recommend going to the Blue Mountains, or even better Algonquin Park (although it's about a 4 hour drive from the city)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Any tips for arranging a holiday to Canada? (Vancouver)
Never done anything like this before :moo:

I lived there 82-16. Book a flight. Stay in a hotel 'downtown'. Take a walk in Stanley Park around the sea wall. Hire a bike, even. If its winter and you ski, there are 3 local mountains ( us ride). Hire a car and book some skiing at Whistler/Black combe. If its summer, hire a car and visit Horseshoe bay. Drive to Tsawassen (spelling) and get a ferry to Vancouver island,. Visit lakes. Swim in them. If you are a naturist, visit wreck beach. If not, try sunset beach. It is Heavenly in BC

www.katcam.ca

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here