Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Kayal + No Stephens = No Creativity

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
really really missed them today. We looked like a completely different team. Ince and Crofts put as a shift in but don't have a creative bone in their collective bodies so the only option was for the ball to go wide, which Preston dealt with comfortably.

Preston were properly shit on the ball and we gave them far too much respect towards the end.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
They were not great. They were for the taking down the wings unfortunately Murphy looked rusty after the ban an March was not brilliant when he came on. Ince and Crofts is solid and I think missing 1 we would be ok but both we would struggle

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Definitely a malfunction in the engine room. Made harder against a five man defence.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I imagine if JFC was still here he would have started today with Crofts, could have done with his creativity today it seems.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Let's hope that's the only time this season we're missing both of them as it's hard to see us winning a game with Ince and Crofts in central midfield.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think we should get too bent out of shape about today.

Name a team that can lose both its (by some distance) first choice centre midfielders, for the same game, and not struggle.

Today was the worst case scenario, that was reflected in the game yet the team still walked off with a point.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
Have we not also looked at how weak our forward line has been in putting the ball in the net, apart from Zamoras last gasp efforts we have just scrapped two victories (leeds + bristol) yes we missed the midfield par (despite stephens being average at leeds and v bristol) previous games he has been excellent. Our issue for me hidden behind the midfield pairing today is a strike force.
Still not convinced. Tes we have won the last few although could have very easily been draws by not being clinical in front if goal.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its all over, the dream has died. This result will produce a run where we will maybe get 2 points from next 10 games.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that today actually showed the apparent weakness of the squad. We had no creative midfielders out there, and the wingers were both woefully off form.

I am really not convinced with baldock and hemed. I hope barber comes back from South America with a striker or two and a creative midfielder or two.

That game really showed our weaknesses, however, we didn't lose and move onwards.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Have we not also looked at how weak our forward line has been in putting the ball in the net, apart from Zamoras last gasp efforts we have just scrapped two victories (leeds + bristol) yes we missed the midfield par (despite stephens being average at leeds and v bristol) previous games he has been excellent. Our issue for me hidden behind the midfield pairing today is a strike force.
Still not convinced. Tes we have won the last few although could have very easily been draws by not being clinical in front if goal.

I agree. Hemed is not what I was hoping he would be, Baldock has a much better first touch but doesn't have the physique. Hemed gets barged off the ball far too easily and doesn't seem to have a strikers clinical finish. We still need a top class striker.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ince doesn't seem to have the character or confidence to boss a midfield with just one ally, and Crofts might look to have certain characteristics to be our centre of the park fugleman, but , in spite of coming back from injury, is not a good ball player. Our missing two can kill a ball dead and know where to ping it to. Our two replacements can do neither, seeming like two sportsmen but not all-conquering footballers. Was a tough game, both to watch and play, with Preston being strong and clean sheet minded. Maybe Holla on for longer would have helped, whilst keeping Murphy on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Definitely a malfunction in the engine room. Made harder against a five man defence.

Exactly this. I wouldn't be too hard on Murphy as a result.
I'm not overly dosappointed with a point all things considered, as everyone knows just how crucial Kayal and Stephens are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here