Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the TWO GAY footballers in todays MIRROR ?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This would be incredibly brave, but also a wonderful step forward. I hope the story is true - let's take football out of the dark ages.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I'm a bit annoyed it made the front page, why does it have to be this massive thing? It's not ridicule from the fans I'm worried about, it's from the press. In future articles, they won't be able to go 2 lines without it being mentioned again. Just let them get on with their lives.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I do! Good on them. Very brave

Not necessarily so................... There is a good chance that they have been forced into it because the paper threatened to run the story without their input. They did it with another ex footballer a few years ago and it ended badly. They also tried it with Tom Daly and he went ahead and took control and announced it on his own website before the papers got a chance to.

I hope these players have decided to do this on their own and not been forced into it by the paper - To be honest most players don't care and most fans don't care and that's how it should be. Look at Gareth Thomas, he has probably got more work since he retired than he would normally have done because of it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
J
Not necessarily so................... There is a good chance that they have been forced into it because the paper threatened to run the story without their input. They did it with another ex footballer a few years ago and it ended badly. They also tried it with Tom Daly and he went ahead and took control and announced it on his own website before the papers got a chance to.

I hope these players have decided to do this on their own and not been forced into it by the paper - To be honest most players don't care and most fans don't care and that's how it should be. Look at Gareth Thomas, he has probably got more work since he retired than he would normally have done because of it

The papers themselves are unlikely to run the stories, not these days. But they are devious enough to force the players themselves into feeling they need to go public. It's a shame really.

As long as homophobia in football remains as rife as it is, stories like this one will play out. It's not very long ago that the Albion had a manager who was prepared to proclaim "I'll have nae poofters in my dressing room".

Words like "brave" shouldn't need to be bandied about but, sadly, they are.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath

Good post...

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
'If' it's their choice, then good on them! If it's not, then good on them all the same, and good luck to them. Of course it's not fair at all that they should be forced to do so; under any circumstances, that's unacceptable, but It will lead the way for many others to be as open as they'd like to be about their sexuality and not have to hide it if it's not their choice to do so, (and they should still earn our respect and support for that. Arguably more so.) It will be a great inspiration for the young and a great first step in changing the ignorant, prehistoric, brainless views of many still riddled with irrational fear of 'the gay man!' Once that day genuinely comes, then none of us will care, (and idealistically none of us should) but as of today (in the real world) too many people do still care, for all the wrong reasons so we should care too, for the right reasons.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As long as homophobia in football remains as rife as it is, stories like this one will play out. It's not very long ago that the Albion had a manager who was prepared to proclaim "I'll have nae poofters in my dressing room".

Magoo said that?!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
'If' it's their choice, then good on them! If it's not, then good on them all the same, and good luck to them. Of course it's not fair at all that they should be forced to do so; under any circumstances, that's unacceptable, but It will lead the way for many others to be as open as they'd like to be about their sexuality and not have to hide it if it's not their choice to do so, (and they should still earn our respect and support for that. Arguably more so.) It will be a great inspiration for the young and a great first step in changing the ignorant, prehistoric, brainless views of many still riddled with irrational fear of 'the gay man!' Once that day genuinely comes, then none of us will care, (and idealistically none of us should) but as of today (in the real world) too many people do still care, for all the wrong reasons so we should care too, for the right reasons.

Perfectly put.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Words like "brave" shouldn't need to be bandied about but, sadly, they are.

Nope. You'll have to give us more of a clue than that.

There was a story doing the rounds in Manchester recently about a homophobic manager who was pretty offensive with some comments, but didn't know his son was gay.

There's no place for any form of bigotry in sport, it's one of the few remaining meritocratic parts of modern life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here