Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huenemeier admits he was lucky - but he is loving Albion life [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Uwe Huenemeier has admitted he was “a bit lucky” not to concede a penalty on his return to action at the Amex.
But the German defender is hoping he has done enough to keep his place, whether or not Gordon Greer is available for selection against Preston tomorrow.
Huenemeier enjoyed a 90-minute outing in the midweek win over Bristol City and might just have got away with one dodgy moment when opponent Luke Freeman was booked for diving.
But he is generally happy with how his return to action has gone, having been required as substitute for the injured Greer just before half-time at Leeds.
That could mean Chris Hughton faces another interesting decision when the skipper returns to the equation.
Whatever he decides, the Albion boss will do it from a position of strength.
It might be a cliché to say German players have a winning mentality but it also tends to be true.
So, when one of them praises that same quality in your team, it is worth listening to.
Huenemeier said: “It is nice to be on the pitch again, of course, and the most important thing is we won the game at the end.
“I thought we deserved it. It was a tough match but we showed a great mentality.
“You see every minute on the pitch the belief in our team.
“When I was left out it was a decision of the coach.
“He talked to me before the Cardiff match that I sit out and have to try and train well and keep pressure on the others.
“GG has been injured and hopefully he is back as soon as possible but of course I want to play.
“Then it’s up to the manager to make a decision but I’ll be ready.”
Huenemeier arrived in England with a reputation as a no-nonsense right-sided centre-back.
He played on the left in his initial run in the side but Greer’s absence has allowed him into his preferred role.
“I played on the left because we had no one on the left or no one felt comfortable with the left foot,” he admitted.
“It’s no problem for me. But it’s no problem for me to be on the right because my right foot is my stronger one.”
Huenemeier lost his place after the 2-2 draw at Bolton, where he was caught out in the air as Gary Madine scored a very late equaliser.
But he has looked better in subsequent games against Chris Wood of Leeds and Aaron Wilbraham of Bristol City.
He admitted: “With adapting, the most different for me compared to Germany is of course the long balls.
“The strikers are big and strong and you have to work had.
“I think Tuesday was okay and hopefully we improve every day.”
Albion were kings of the single-goal defeat last season – which isn’t a great thing to be kings of.
Now they lead the way in narrow wins, keeping the defence very much on their toes right up until the final whistle.
Huenemeier would not mind things being just a little more relaxed late in future contests.
He said: “Hopefully one day we can have a match were we are more clinical.
“Eight wins with just one goal difference. I think we can improve and hopefully we can do that on Saturday.”
The former Paderborn skipper’s move just after the season started surprised many people, including himself.
Supporters of teams overseas tend to find it hard to fathom why their star players would want to move to a second division club .
Tomer Hemed, Vicente and Leo Ulloa are among the imports who have found that in recent seasons.
Even Huenemeier’s best performances have, he believes, probably gone under the radar back home, where he was expected to be trying to help Paderborn adjust to Bundesliga 2 life this term after relegation.

He said: “I think for the Germans it is difficult to get (television) pictures from the Championship.“Germany is all about the Bundesliga, their second league and the Premier League but not the Championship. They just get the result.”
So some of them will know Albion won again in midweek with Huenemeier playing 90 minutes.
But they will maybe not be aware of the moment when he probably had his heart in his mouth.
He seemed to clip Freeman as the City man twisted inside on to his right foot in the Albion box.
Referee Iain Williamson blew. But, to the surprise of most people in the Amex, he penalised Freeman for a dive.
It was a significant let-off for Albion, coming soon after they equalised.
Should it have been a penalty? Huenemeier was asked a straight question and gave a straight answer.
“It was a little touch, yes,” he told The Argus. “I touched him a little bit.
“I think he dived too much or made more of it than it was. But, yes, a bit lucky.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here