Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you take sickies off work?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Nope. Don't get paid sick leave. Can't afford to take a day off even when I am. Gout included. Which in a job that involves spending all day on my feet in a workshop is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. Palace included.

People who take sickies are ***** as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe in sick pay unless it's for a proper bonafide reason. Proven by a doctors certificate. Not just a "I've got a cold and can't breathe" and expect to be paid for it. Public sector are the worst in my experience. Is it true people are told to take sick leave as they're entitled to it? I hope not. Takes the bloody piss as far as I'm concerned. If I don't work I lose the flimsy roof over my head. Motivation enough for me to always go in.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Nope, have a condition that causes me to take occasional days off as it is (trust me, no alternative) and work are pretty cool about it so I wouldn't want to abuse the trust.

Even then I was raised with a work ethic so it's not something I'd really consider, though I don't judge those that do...unless they're the gloaty 'it's free holiday innit?' types. They can sod off.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Never . In my job, someone has to cover for me if I'm not there

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do get paid sick leave, but have probably taken 2-3 proper sick days in 30 years. Have seen some colossal pisstakers in my time - week off because 'my dog died' being the worst.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Nope. Don't get paid sick leave. Can't afford to take a day off even when I am. Gout included. Which in a job that involves spending all day on my feet in a workshop is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. Palace included.

People who take sickies are ***** as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe in sick pay unless it's for a proper bonafide reason. Proven by a doctors certificate. Not just a "I've got a cold and can't breathe" and expect to be paid for it. Public sector are the worst in my experience. Is it true people are told to take sick leave as they're entitled to it? I hope not. Takes the bloody piss as far as I'm concerned. If I don't work I lose the flimsy roof over my head. Motivation enough for me to always go in.

What a miserable so and so you are! I don;t think there is harm in it if the entitlement is not abused and is used sparingly,

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A quote from a colleague:-

"I've still got 2 weeks holiday to take and 4 days of sick entitlement, I don't know when I'm going to fit it all in".

Rest assured he did.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Self employed so I would be losing money.

When I was at school and also when I was employed I was hardly ever ill, I had only been in hospital when I was a baby, I had never had any stitches either.
Two weeks after going self employed I had flu so bad I couldn't move, been lucky not to get flu since and always have a flu jab now.
Also had some accidents and operations that required stitches, and also been in hospital a few times because of illness.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What a miserable so and so you are! I don;t think there is harm in it if the entitlement is not abused and is used sparingly,

Taking sick leave when your are not sick is theft. You may as well be saying there is nothing wrong with thieving from your employer so long as you don't do it too much.

Taking sick leave when not sick should be treated as gross misconduct.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm self-employed too so am not allowed to be sick.

But I was hardly ever off when I was employed, sometimes if I was feeling poorly I wouldn't go in but work from home but I count the days I've had off in the last 15 years on the fingers of one hand. If you skive off, you're just letting down your colleagues as work doesn't just disappear

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Post Office by any chance?
Had I said something like that to my now late father he would have kicked my arse all the way to work.

Even now I'm still too scared to think 'I'll get away with it' and he's been dead 30 years.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'd get paid my normal wage if I took a sick day.
I could get away with it easily without any fuss or questions.
There'd likely be almost no repercussions except a little extra work for when I got back.
Plenty of people in my office take sick days, there also seems to be a wide-spread outburst of food poisoning on Mondays only also.

I wouldn't feel right pulling a sickie (sp?) at all. It ticks me off when the same culprits are off on the same days most weeks, having a nice lie in whilst I'm working away.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Had I said something like that to my now late father he would have kicked my arse all the way to work.

Even now I'm still too scared to think 'I'll get away with it' and he's been dead 30 years.

I know a post office worker very well and he tells me about people that really take the piss.
He also says they work harder as they are always short staffed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here