Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Final round on Pointless.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I guessed. Brady, hinshelwood and wood. All pointless.

Hahahhahahahhhhhaaaa.

To be fair I knew some of the Plymouth managers too.

I suppose to southern fans it was quite easy...if they would have said north east coast teams, I would have struggled.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Alan Mullery was also a Pointless answer I believe. I think Richard Osman said the only Brighton managers that would have scored any points at all were Sami Hyypia, Peter Taylor, Brian Clough, Gus Poyet, Mark McGhee and Chris Hughton.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Alan Mullery was also a Pointless answer I believe. I think Richard Osman said the only Brighton managers that would have scored any points at all were Sami Hyypia, Peter Taylor, Brian Clough, Gus Poyet, Mark McGhee and Chris Hughton.
....and Oscar

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Albion question in the final of Pointless just now

The question for today's top prize was:

Name any post-war manager of Brighton & Hove Albion FC (other options were Plymouth and Southampton but who cares about them?).

The contestant- a Scouser- picked Jimmy Melia. And won the jackpot.

Somewhat surprised that the only man to take the Albion to a major final was so little-known, but I guess it was a long time ago. And perhaps we're all a bit biased. More surprising was that every single post war manager was a Pointless answer except Hughton, Poyet, Oscar Garcia and Hyypia. Edit: and McGhee, Clough and Taylor.

Hyypia scored three points, which, as pointed out on Twitter by Werner [MENTION=20961]beardsley[/MENTION]_NL (Dutch Seagulls) would be a real novelty :lol:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Oh, the bitter irony.

Hyypia was one of the winning couple's other answers. They were a couple from Liverpool and I guess he was a Red. Would have scored 3 points (one of the rare times Hyypia scored 3 points I know). I suppose as their sample won't have included any Brighton fans, people then will tend to recall the managers from the recent past, hence why Mullery and Melia were Pointless answers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The pointless ones surprised me as I thought most would have been a score My 3 best hopes and likely pointless were Archie McCauley Tommy Cook and George Curtis.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
He may have picked Melia, but he also said we won the FA Cup with him

More Cup Final money missing than previously thought then.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I guessed. Brady, hinshelwood and wood. All pointless.

Hahahhahahahhhhhaaaa.

To be fair I knew some of the Plymouth managers too.

I suppose to southern fans it was quite easy...if they would have said north east coast teams, I would have struggled.

I went for Hinshelwood, Slade and Brady for the Brighton managers. I also had Ian Branfoot, Stuart Gray and Mark Wotte for the Southampton managers. I think all of them were Pointless too.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Most things to do with Southampton are pointless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went for Hinshelwood, Slade and Brady for the Brighton managers. I also had Ian Branfoot, Stuart Gray and Mark Wotte for the Southampton managers. I think all of them were Pointless too.
Was Dave Merrington Pointless?

He would have been my banker from the other 2 teams.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'd have gone for Ian Branfoot or Graeme Souness, I reckon.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Yes I think he was. Off the top of my head, the Southampton managers that scored points were McMenemy, Pochettino, Pardew, Hoddle, Adkins (I think), Redknapp, Koeman and Strachan. So even someone like Chris Nicholl who managed them for 7-8 years after McMenemy I think would also have been Pointless.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Sami Hyypia pointless
surely it was the team that were pointless?:lolol:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
TBF that was a round that any of us would have aced. When the Scouse bloke said Jimmy Melia I knew he was on to a banker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here